Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Push it...Push it real Good...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 12:04 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 303 Likes on 137 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Push it...Push it real Good...

Well, I pushed it alright...last July I won an event but found out later I hurt the motor...finally have the benjamins to diagnose and fix it...

I got the word today I trashed the motor pretty good...hurt the crank so it needed to be cut 10 thou...lost all the pistons and need one oversized h-beam rod...block needs to be bored and honed another 20 thou...a bunch of other stuff as well...I've needed new headers for a while so I'm going to 2" tubes with a 3" collector, ceramic coated...

Work has begun and I will end up with a forged top and bottom full roller 468 BBC...hope to be running again by Jan. 10th or so...

Race it, break it, fix it, race it....repeat...
Old 12-20-2014, 07:42 AM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Jan 10th !!!!!! you poor guy, won't be able to race until Jan 10th !!!

You got some pics?
Old 12-20-2014, 09:05 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dice
Well, I pushed it alright...last July I won an event but found out later I hurt the motor...finally have the benjamins to diagnose and fix it...

I got the word today I trashed the motor pretty good...hurt the crank so it needed to be cut 10 thou...lost all the pistons and need one oversized h-beam rod...block needs to be bored and honed another 20 thou...a bunch of other stuff as well...I've needed new headers for a while so I'm going to 2" tubes with a 3" collector, ceramic coated...

Work has begun and I will end up with a forged top and bottom full roller 468 BBC...hope to be running again by Jan. 10th or so...

Race it, break it, fix it, race it....repeat...
Dan,

Good luck with the rebuild and I will see you at OSW in 2015. It looks like I will start the 2015 season with my trusty C5. The C6 is still at the builder solving cooling problems.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Jim
Old 12-20-2014, 01:26 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

When you fix a broken motor and build a monster, more stuff breaks behind it.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:52 PM
99ZX9R
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel your pain: this past Oct. in the $2500 door slammer race. Car went 9.852 (.008) and 9.848 (.014) in time shots.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:40 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

No pics this time, 4D...sorry, I forget this weather is our best racing time but not y'all's...

Good to see you yesterday at the track, Jim...sorry about your new whip...btw, I saw you leave the track but never saw you lose?...have a wonderful Christmas and New Year's yourself, buddy...

You are correct 383...this one never should have happened...I goofed up...sigh....

Man, those pics are bad, 99ZX...why couldn't I love playing bridge...it would be a lot less expensive than this hobby...lol...we are all nuts but I wouldn't have any other way....

I hope everyone has a very happy and healthy holiday season...hopefully I will be able to talk about an event I actually raced in fairly soon....lol....
Old 12-21-2014, 10:09 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

Good to see you yesterday at the track, Jim...sorry about your new whip...btw, I saw you leave the track but never saw you lose?...have a wonderful Christmas and New Year's yourself, buddy...
Dan,

Good to see you as always. Yesterday I lost in R2 with a miserable .244 light on the .500 Pro Tree. That was after getting the bye in R1...thank goodness points are on a full tree .

Have blessed and joyous holiday and I will see you (racing) in 2015!

Jim
Old 12-21-2014, 07:00 PM
96collector
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Well we got until the 24 of jan until the next race. Hop to see you in action by then. Sorry to hear you did so much damage to the engine money money money going out.... that's raceing... call me if you find out anything about that trailer.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:17 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Holy crap Dan. That's a lot of damage. Best of success with the new bullet!!

Any clue why the motor failed?

Jan 10... I wish...

I think I'll be down there for the weekend of the 24th. I'll run to PBIR if I am.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:37 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

It was oil starvation, Pete...I always ran 6 in a 7 quart pan but I lost a quart or so unknowingly during the long event...we thought we fixed it but the first test run after I spun a bearing...sent metal through the motor...sigh...

I plan to run points at pbir this year and to make the race on the 17th...

Actually the PBIR event is on the 24th so we have an extra week...hopefully use that for testing...pistons, rod and headers are in house...

Last edited by Fuzzy Dice; 12-26-2014 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:56 PM
RapidRick
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It was oil starvation, Pete...I always ran 6 in a 7 quart pan but I lost a quart or so unknowingly during the long event...we thought we fixed it but the first test run after I spun a bearing...sent metal through the motor...sigh...

I plan to run points at pbir this year and to make the race on the 17th...

Actually the PBIR event is on the 24th so we have an extra week...hopefully use that for testing...pistons, rod and headers are in house...
Will surely look you up at PBIR. It's been a while Dan.
Best regards on your new quest for SPEED!

Originally Posted by 96collector
Well we got until the 24 of jan until the next race. Hop to see you in action by then. Sorry to hear you did so much damage to the engine money money money going out.... that's raceing... call me if you find out anything about that trailer.
Happy New Year Rick! (sold the redbird) But will see you soon up at PBIR as well...

....and to Pete (Capt. Huff), Ditto, Happy New Year, and when you're down our way, stop in and say hi here at Redline-Motorsports in Pompano/Deerfield Beach.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:38 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Thanks Rick...the funny part is I am not even looking to go faster...lol...had to go to 468 to clean up the block...sigh...anyway my new pistons got lost over the holidays by UPS and got here 9 days late...

If the machine shop gets everything balanced soon I hope to be testing by the 16th...we'll see...hope to see you guys on the 24th...

Get notified of new replies

To Push it...Push it real Good...

Quick Reply: Push it...Push it real Good...