Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Uptown Funk...Don't believe me just watch....

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 01:21 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 303 Likes on 137 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Uptown Funk...Don't believe me just watch....

The time has finally come...I just got the call my car will be ready for testing on Friday...woot!!!...I don't expect too much different but it sure will be nice to get back in the seat...my last competition pass was July 26 last year...sheesh...it took me until last month to get the money together for the rebuild...

I ended up with a full roller, fully forged 468 BBC... .714 lift cam and 1050 cfm carb...I also got to do all the little things I never got around to...

New larger long tube headers, Hooker chrome ceramic coated...new Dynomax turbo mufflers to go with...new mini starter, gear reduction 3hp...seat bracket to the roll bar...new braided transmission lines and AN fittings...

We kept it at 10.5 CR to run 93 octane pump gas...I'll check back in and let y'all know how she ran...I'm thinking 6.90 to 7.00 in the 1/8...not to bad for launching at 3740 lbs...
Old 02-03-2015, 05:20 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Woohoo!!! Gotta feel great!

I'm looking forward to the recap report.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:49 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Adjusting the lash...might fire her up tonight...woot!....

All done and ready to fire...

Last edited by Fuzzy Dice; 02-03-2015 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:00 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dice
The time has finally come...I just got the call my car will be ready for testing on Friday...woot!!!...I don't expect too much different but it sure will be nice to get back in the seat...my last competition pass was July 26 last year...sheesh...it took me until last month to get the money together for the rebuild...

I ended up with a full roller, fully forged 468 BBC... .714 lift cam and 1050 cfm carb...I also got to do all the little things I never got around to...

New larger long tube headers, Hooker chrome ceramic coated...new Dynomax turbo mufflers to go with...new mini starter, gear reduction 3hp...seat bracket to the roll bar...new braided transmission lines and AN fittings...

We kept it at 10.5 CR to run 93 octane pump gas...I'll check back in and let y'all know how she ran...I'm thinking 6.90 to 7.00 in the 1/8...not to bad for launching at 3740 lbs...
Good luck Dan!
Old 02-04-2015, 02:54 PM
96collector
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Let us know when it fires up............
Old 02-04-2015, 03:08 PM
kazman
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Think you will make it to the next points race in Lakeland?
Old 02-05-2015, 07:52 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Thanks guys...a couple of things got in the way...plan is to fire her up this afternoon and bring her home tonight then test tomorrow at OSW...

No Kaz, I am not running points at Lakeland this season...I am going to try Palm Beach...sadly, Lakeland is going downhill fast...I will still go to Lakeland if they have an event worth it...did they have the scoreboards working...the computer?...how about someone at the head of staging?...

My comeback event will be the PBIR points on the 21st...
Old 02-05-2015, 09:00 AM
kazman
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dice
Thanks guys...a couple of things got in the way...plan is to fire her up this afternoon and bring her home tonight then test tomorrow at OSW...

No Kaz, I am not running points at Lakeland this season...I am going to try Palm Beach...sadly, Lakeland is going downhill fast...I will still go to Lakeland if they have an event worth it...did they have the scoreboards working...the computer?...how about someone at the head of staging?...

My comeback event will be the PBIR points on the 21st...
they had a guy at the top of the lanes. had computer problems and some didn't get data on their timeslips. they resolved and called anyone who had messed up slips could come up to the tower. my last elimination round my correct dial never came on the scoreboard it was correct on my time slip but I didn't like taking the tree with the previous runs dial up on the scoreboard. they merged street and no box so I have a "rain check" tech card waiting for me at the gate. I'm going to go back on the 21st
Old 02-05-2015, 01:42 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by kazman
they had a guy at the top of the lanes. had computer problems and some didn't get data on their timeslips. they resolved and called anyone who had messed up slips could come up to the tower. my last elimination round my correct dial never came on the scoreboard it was correct on my time slip but I didn't like taking the tree with the previous runs dial up on the scoreboard. they merged street and no box so I have a "rain check" tech card waiting for me at the gate. I'm going to go back on the 21st
OK...that's about what has been going on...good luck on the 21st...you know where I plan to be...
Old 02-06-2015, 10:57 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

We fired up the motor last night and she sounded good...of course nothing with this car comes easy...we were about to put the car on the trailer...my buddy was setting up the carb...all of a sudden the motor dies by itself...yikes!...I immediately become sphincter boy...you couldn't get a one penny nail in my butt with a 5 lb. ballpeen...

It turns out the fuel pump is smoking and died...thankfully my guy has a speed shop next to his work shop....put on a new pump and ....it leaks....grrrrr...new AN fitting and it is fine...I end of getting her on the trailer and home by 11:20PM...unhook the rig and go unconscious within 5 minutes on the bed...

Head out to work this morning to get off by 2PM...can't leave until 3PM so I am rushing...arrive at the track at 5PM and my engine guy is running late since he can't get the go fast 67 Camaro he drives to start to put in his trailer...it runs 7.50's in the 1/4 at 190 mph...

He finally arrives at 7 and sets my timing at 36*...gets the carb just right and off I go for my first pass...an oil down, broken driveshaft and a broken diff later took an hour and it is finally my turn...I hadn't been in the car for months and, sure enough, I goofed something up...

I set my line lock and the car drove right through it...wtf?...I realized I hadn't pumped the brake to bring up the pressure before setting the line lock...oops...I then did just that but all I got was a sideways spin with no tire smoke......oops again...I staged anyway...

Off on a .012 red eye and she ran very nice...my buttometer said it was faster than before...it was but only a 6.90...I picked up a tenth...the good news was with a decent burnout and launch it was a low 6.80 pass...I trapped 99.60 in the 1/8 picking up 4 mph...my 330' was 4.43 picking up .05...I had a 1.51 short which should have been 1.47-8....

Now for the not so good news...as I turned off the track I looked at my oil pressure and it was 20 lbs.....OMG!!!!...I coasted and it went down to 18...I lost it and told that motor I was driving him back to the pits and he could blow to hell for all I cared...I was beyond pizzed...way beyond...

The good news is the oil pressure climbed when I raised the rpm...we figured out it was probably a clogged oil filter since we had not had the time last night to drain the oil and change filters...plenty of build lube still in the motor and most likely now in the filter...a shorty filter at that...sheesh...crack the throttle and the pressure went to 50 lbs. immediately...whew, I think...plus the temps were in the 50's so that lube was like fudge I'm sure...

I will drain the oil and change filters this coming week...hopefully the pressure will go right back to the 75 lbs. it was at before the pass...

So, there it is and I am mildly happy...I put her on the trailer at this point...the oil pressure going back to normal will be like a reach around for me...woot!....
Old 02-07-2015, 12:03 PM
Red 69
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

This car has sure sent your emotions on a roller coaster ride and took many pulling for you along with it. Finally, after several false starts due to part delays, hidden surprises and bad luck, it made a successful first pass and none too shabby! BUT...it wasn't without one last jab in store. Fortunately, the low oil pressure reading was a head fake and after your oil and filter change, should be making its best passes ever. Take a chill pill and race it with confidence. Rob, at Space coast Speed and Custom did another great job building that engine and went one step beyond doing a little surprise work to it. Now, it's time to go the rounds and get in the $$$.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:56 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Thanks Red...yes, it has been quite a saga but I think it will be OK...ZR1John is coming over on Tuesday and we'll find out then...btw, my engine guy bowl blended my heads as a surprise and no charge...definitely gave me a little more steam...

I will be very happy with a pump gas 6.80 car in the winter and 6.90 in the summer...fits great for any 7.0 index racing also...woot!...

Get notified of new replies

To Uptown Funk...Don't believe me just watch....

Quick Reply: Uptown Funk...Don't believe me just watch....