Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Decent Kickoff to the 2015 Bracket Racing Season

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 09:38 PM
99ZX9R
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Decent Kickoff to the 2015 Bracket Racing Season

Yesterday was supposed to be our first points race, but Mother Nature had something to say about it dumping several inches of snow the day before so the track cancelled. Today was nice (albeit cold) with a few specialty classes I normally wouldn't have time to run, but it's been a long cold winter so I decided to go. At a high of 42° it was too cold to break out the race car so I opted to run the wife's Q50 (without her knowledge ) in the Import v Domestic race. Arriving at the track, there were quite a few Summit Series points racers in attendance (including the current Super Pro national champ) so clearly I wasn't the only one chomping at the bit.

First time shot I roll in deep at 1500 rpm, see the bottom amber and mash the pedal. I turn it .012 red and run a 13.99. Second time shot I change nothing figuring I might have been a little anxious and proceed to go .013 red. Turns out I was seeing the tree well, the car just needed to be adjusted. So after consulting with my bracket coach I decide to drop the Rs to 1200 for elims. By the way, the car picked up a bunch on the 2nd time run with a 13.92, but this was expected being a modern street car.

First round I get an Atco Street ET regular dialed 13.00. I'm figuring he's holding some since the minimum ET for this bracket is 13 flat. I dial a 13.90 figuring the car picked up .07 between time shots and will pick up a couple more at least (she's been 13.86 in similar air). Didn't matter much as I was .051 to my opponent's .125. I get to the MPH cone, dump hard to a 13.99 and watch him break out by a couple thou.

Second round I get a Honda dialed 17.77. She turns it red, while I pull a .035 light and run it out to a 13.87.

Third round I get a good Pro ET regular and fellow Ford nuthugger in a Mustang dialed 13.00. I know he's holding a tenth + so I hold a few myself and dial a 13.91 figuring the top end will be a party. The hit felt good and mid track I start looking. Just past the 1000' he's at my fender a riding the brake to stay even with me. Knowing I can kill hard in this car with the modern antilocks, I wait till the MPH cone again and stab hard. I take .0014 stripe going .02 over for the W. I had him on the tree .041 to his .081 but with him holding that much it didn't matter.

Fourth round (Quarters) on the ladder, I get a Honda dialed 16.38. Young kid, seen him around but don't know him personally. I keep the 13.91 on the window. This being the money round and against an unknown opponent I repeat to myself "just don't go red." Most know whenever that happens, your either red or late. I was the latter. Specifically he was .042 and dead on 2 to my .143 and dead on 6.

Try again next week.

Last edited by 99ZX9R; 03-22-2015 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:53 AM
kazman
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I get home sick this time of year. Lots of fond memories of opening day racing the imports with snow piled up in the pits and the center of the track.

Marc, the brain doesn't know the difference between do and don't do. Bowler thinking don't throw a gutter ball...guess where it goes. Golfer thinking don't slice and hit the water..... splash. Instead of thinking don't go red relax and think just hit my spot on the tree. You know the setup of the car does the rest.

Say hello to your bracket coach for me. I took the last 2 weekends off so I haven't spoken to him for ..... 2 weeks lol.

I won't be up north for at least another month.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:43 PM
99ZX9R
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kazman
I get home sick this time of year. Lots of fond memories of opening day racing the imports with snow piled up in the pits and the center of the track.

Marc, the brain doesn't know the difference between do and don't do. Bowler thinking don't throw a gutter ball...guess where it goes. Golfer thinking don't slice and hit the water..... splash. Instead of thinking don't go red relax and think just hit my spot on the tree. You know the setup of the car does the rest.

Say hello to your bracket coach for me. I took the last 2 weekends off so I haven't spoken to him for ..... 2 weeks lol.

I won't be up north for at least another month.
Thanks for the always solid advice. Give me a holler if you decide to do any racing up this way. Atco keeps me busy, but I wouldn't mind changing scenery and running the Grove once in awhile.

Get notified of new replies

To Decent Kickoff to the 2015 Bracket Racing Season

Quick Reply: Decent Kickoff to the 2015 Bracket Racing Season