Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

If at first you don't Succeed....

Old 03-28-2015, 09:36 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 299 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default If at first you don't Succeed....

try, try again and again and again and again and again and.....

At some point it gets tough...today was a charity event raising money for Cystic Fibrosis...I went and ran in the Pro ET class brackets...

The weather was all world and maybe the last of the cool days for us...high of 70* and 0% chance of rain...the DA was just under +1000 which is real good for around here...

I decided I was going to leave off the trans brake for the first time ever...kind of a baptism under fire...my first time shot I did OK off the brake...039 tree and the car went 6.81 @ 101 mph...best it has ever been...woot!....I'm pumped...

My second time shot was a disaster...I reached down for the button and missed it and the tree dropped...had a .320 light and went slow at 7.01 leaving just about off idle...oh well...my bad....

First round and I line up with a mini funny car...about a third scale but he is dialed 6.77...I put 6.84 on my window...I'll play the finish line if I have to....I leave green and it feels pretty good...off the brake my wheels are up a bit, maybe 2 feet...a lot harder launch than off the foot...I have the two step set low at 3000 rpm...

Anyway, I get out about 300' and he is at least 10 cars back...whoa!....I must have treed the qwap out of him...I am just about to start whompin' and I hear the death knell...dat..dat..dat..dat..dat....I am on the rev limiter at 7,000 rpm because the car did not shift...wth?....I reach down to shift it and it shifts by itself...meanwhile, back at the ranch, my opponent passes me like I stopped for a burger...sheesh...he takes the stripe ftw and when I see the slip I am really pizzed...I had a .029 light to his...are you ready?....are you sitting down?....yup, he had a .244 tree...

To add insult to injury he ran a 6.84 out the back door on his 6.77 dial...good grief!...

This is like the gazillionth time this car has let me down...like I said, again and again and....my chewing gum has lost it's flavor so when my buddy and engine guy askes me if I am buying back I tell him no way but he can run the car all he wants....they let him buy back in my junk and off he goes...

Well, the car shifted perfectly at 6600 rpm but then it happened...it nosed over and would not pull...he ran 7.32 in a car that went 6.81 earlier...something is bad again...this devil car is wearing me the heck out....

I will be back at his shop this week and hopefully we find something that is not major...this is getting old, folks...
Old 03-29-2015, 07:36 AM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

... are we having FUN yet???
Old 03-29-2015, 09:44 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

It's a new day...I feel better...hopefully it is something simple to fix...lol...

Race it...break it...fix it...race it...

Thanks for coming out yesterday, buddy...
Old 03-29-2015, 10:50 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

FD,

Sorry you are having more gremlins. I was in the pair behind you in R1 but did not see your car in R2. I am still learning to drive the 1/8 stripe. In R1 I had a .014 light to a .137 for my opponent but dumped too late and broke out with a 7.542 on my 7.55 dial. I bought back into R2 and as luck would have it ended up running the same guy. This time I screwed up at the starting line and went red big time. At least it was for charity, it was a beautiful day, and I got home early and in one piece. Win or lose I love this sport!

I am sure you will get your issues sorted out. I know how frustrating car problems can be as evidenced by the never ending saga of my 2012 GS build underway since July.

Take care and I will see you soon.

BIGMAC
Old 03-30-2015, 08:05 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Thanks Mac...yes, it gets frustrating but I love it as well...my car lost so much time I am thinking a cylinder is not firing...maybe a rocker or spring, who knows...I hear ya on your car, buddy...we will both get there sooner or later...

Dan

p.s. oh yeah, the good news is our fix on the header gasket worked!...thanks Glensgages and Space Coast Speed and Custom....

Get notified of new replies

To If at first you don't Succeed....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: If at first you don't Succeed....