Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

17" Drag pack tire choices for M6 GS (675rwhp A&A kit)

Old 05-16-2015, 04:44 PM
racerxrick
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks for the post and reply to my PM. We had a good talk too!

Originally Posted by Joe_G
I have a little different opinion than RobZ and I'm nowhere near as fast as him so take that into consideration as you consider my thoughts.

I've had both bias and Mickey Thompson drag radials and I like the short M/T's a lot more. RobZ is of course very correct that if you spin the bias ply will catch, but I've become pretty adept at launching a drag radial, not spinning, and let the clutch absorb the slip and thus not bog. I never got such good 60 foots from the bias ply but that's likely because I hadn't learned to launch as well back in those days.

Avoiding the bog is the key to a good 60 foot.

I drive my car to/from the track and that's not possible with the bias ply. I got caught once in the rain...15 mph and you are swapping ends. With the M/T drag radials you can drive in the rain, just slow down a bit. I used to trailer up my bias ply but I don't like bothering with that anymore....I changed tires one too many times in the rain.

So I prefer the drag radials for their short height and thus more gear, the fact you can street drive on them, and they last twice about twice as long.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:45 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by racerxrick
thanks for the post and reply to my PM. We had a good talk too!
The pleasure was mine, keep us posted how you do!
Old 05-17-2015, 01:31 PM
sr530
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like you could benefit from a clutch buffer. This link explains what they do and how they work- ClutchTamer.com
I've never installed one on a Corvette and have no idea how difficult it might be, but would be willing to provide some parts of someone would like to experiment. PM me if interested.
Old 05-17-2015, 01:41 PM
secrt0007agt
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Default Tamer

Originally Posted by sr530
Sounds like you could benefit from a clutch buffer. This link explains what they do and how they work- ClutchTamer.com
I've never installed one on a Corvette and have no idea how difficult it might be, but would be willing to provide some parts of someone would like to experiment. PM me if interested.
I would like to try one, but unfortunately I am driving a 6 Speed Automatic
Old 05-17-2015, 02:03 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Wow you learn something new every day! I do exactly what this does with my foot but it took me hundreds of runs to get it down pat...what an interesting idea this sounds like!

Rick you might look into this to solve your bog....
Old 05-18-2015, 09:58 AM
secrt0007agt
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '15

Default Bad case of not enough burnout and too much air pressure

Old 05-18-2015, 10:00 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

^^^ that sounds like a bad case of street tires at the drag strip.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:02 AM
secrt0007agt
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by joe_g
^^^ that sounds like a bad case of street tires at the drag strip.
not street tires.......345 30 19 nitto nt05r drag radials

I just bought some 17 x 11 wheels.....probably go with M/T or Hoosiers

Last edited by secrt0007agt; 05-18-2015 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:03 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by secrt0007agt
not street tires.......nitto nt05r drag radials
You'll have a lot better luck with Mickey Thompson drag radials. Even the 305/19's if you want to keep you wheels and street drive them. Trust me.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:16 PM
racerxrick
Racer

Default new Street R's mounted and installed

Just received, mounted and installed arguably one of the first pairs of this all new tire from Mickey Thompson. I wish I could have a report from the track but it seems North Texas is having a monsoon season this year. More rain already than all of last year!

To recap: 315/35/17's on 17x11 Weld RTS, GS MN6 with A&A kit, McLeod RXT clutch, 675/580

Just touching and squeezing the "tread" and these things are soft and sticky.

First drive: well it stopped raining long enough for the roads to barely dry, very humid. Went out with no prep, never even spun the tires and tried a 3k RPM launch on a concrete surface. It hooked!! Rolled the throttle just a little and then on the floor, spun a little at the top of the RPM's at full boost. Tried it a couple more times with consistent results. Turned back for home just as the rain returned.

Really looking forward to the real test at the strip!
Attached Images    
Old 05-23-2015, 01:48 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

I have had good luck street driving my DR'a a few times before hitting the track, seems "heat cycles" them and I have good long life out of them.

Your car looks GREAT, love the Welds, my favorite drag pack by far.

I have to say I'm not thrilled with the new lack of siping on the tires, my 315-35-17 have great tread on them and are not bad at all in the rain. I'm afraid this new model is going to be like the bias slick in the rain due to the lack of siping. I wonder why they did that?

Here's my tires:

Old 05-23-2015, 01:50 PM
racerxrick
Racer

Just now took the time to look at that product and read about it. Seems like a simple and effective mod that could sure give some consistency...thanks!

Wow you learn something new every day! I do exactly what this does with my foot but it took me hundreds of runs to get it down pat...what an interesting idea this sounds like!

Rick you might look into this to solve your bog....
Old 05-23-2015, 01:52 PM
racerxrick
Racer

yeah I knew that going in...they are only concerned about straight line performance.

I have had good luck street driving my DR'a a few times before hitting the track, seems "heat cycles" them and I have good long life out of them.

Your car looks GREAT, love the Welds, my favorite drag pack by far.

I have to say I'm not thrilled with the new lack of siping on the tires, my 315-35-17 have great tread on them and are not bad at all in the rain. I'm afraid this new model is going to be like the bias slick in the rain due to the lack of siping. I wonder why they did that?

Here's my tires:

Old 05-23-2015, 01:53 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

yeah I knew that going in...they are only concerned about straight line performance.
Well that's why you buy them. I bet they hook like crazy. I also do a good long John Force burnout my first time with new DR's then after that only about 8 seconds in first, when they start squealing I let out. Dunno if that first burn is good bad or otherwise but I read it long ago and I get good life out of mine.

Looking forward to some track results!
Old 05-23-2015, 01:54 PM
racerxrick
Racer

and thanks for the compliment Joe...here's a couple more gratuitous photos
Attached Images   
Old 05-23-2015, 01:55 PM
racerxrick
Racer

I've always done the same over the years...

Well that's why you buy them. I bet they hook like crazy. I also do a good long John Force burnout my first time with new DR's then after that only about 8 seconds in first, when they start squealing I let out. Dunno if that first burn is good bad or otherwise but I read it long ago and I get good life out of mine.

Looking forward to some track results!
Old 05-23-2015, 02:35 PM
racerxrick
Racer

REGARDING INSTALLED HEIGHT:

Despite being called a 26" tire the installed height is just short of 25.5". I feel like they'll still be fine as gearing will be excellent.

Although i sure am curious what actual height is on the 305/40/17 which is supposed to be a 27.5" tire,

Get notified of new replies

To 17" Drag pack tire choices for M6 GS (675rwhp A&A kit)

Old 05-23-2015, 05:49 PM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

REGARDING INSTALLED HEIGHT:

Despite being called a 26" tire the installed height is just short of 25.5". I feel like they'll still be fine as gearing will be excellent.

Although i sure am curious what actual height is on the 305/40/17 which is supposed to be a 27.5" tire,
That's due to the 11" wide rim.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:52 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by GARY2004Z06
That's due to the 11" wide rim.
Naa Gary they are 25" or so on my 9.5" c5 z rims as well. I mentioned this to Rick and that's one thing I like about these tires, they are short for a little extra gear compared to the much taller 26" (supposedly) 17" bias ply. I don't have the measurements handy but I think those were like 28" on my C5 standard fronts (8.5").
Old 05-23-2015, 07:02 PM
racerxrick
Racer

I laid a flat edge across it and measure 25 3/8"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 17" Drag pack tire choices for M6 GS (675rwhp A&A kit)