Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Newbie Time Slip - Please Analyze

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 12:21 AM
iwantaz06now
Melting Slicks

Received 165 Likes on 132 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Newbie Time Slip - Please Analyze

Hey folks I ran at atco today. First time ever going to a drag strip. It was an enjoyable experience wish I did better on the time sheet but I went out to have fun and learn the car in a legal controlled environment, not to break records or my car. With this said, here is my fastest quarter mile run:

Specs on car (that are most relevant to this conversation):
2008 Z06 all motor, built internals
603rwhp
526rwtq
Zr1 clutch
Pfadt carbon driveshaft
rpm stage 3 diff 3.42 ratio
rpm stage 7 transmission oem ratios
Lg G2 coilovers
Pfadt light rate sway bars
Line lock
Oem wheels & michelin super sport tires about 40% tread...rears had a psi of 31
For the majority of runs all traction & stability systems were kept ON

Obviously the car is setup for road course duty. Nevertheless where are areas that I can improve and how do I go about improving those areas? For example, my friend said if I dropped my '60 ft times by 1 second, I could be 2 seconds faster at the end of the quarter mile.

Observations:
People were saying I was shifting slow and not launching hard.

I noticed 0 traction with aggressive inputs of throttle in 1st and the start of 2nd. Once it got over 4k wheel hop seemed to start so I backed off. But from the outside nobody saw wheel hop...maybe it was traction control going nuts???

I only made probably 6-10 passes. Only the last two were with a burnout before the run.

I made the mistake of throwing out all of my time sheets except the fastest quarter mile one. But what I remember is that my mph was at 122 for many of them, but similar 12.6x-12.9x. This meant I was getting better at launching the car. But then I would mishift going from 2-3.

Any and all feedback and comments I'm open to.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:10 AM
Jerseyvinny
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by iwantaz06now
Hey folks I ran at atco today. First time ever going to a drag strip. It was an enjoyable experience wish I did better on the time sheet but I went out to have fun and learn the car in a legal controlled environment, not to break records or my car. With this said, here is my fastest quarter mile run:

Specs on car (that are most relevant to this conversation):
2008 Z06 all motor, built internals
603rwhp
526rwtq
Zr1 clutch
Pfadt carbon driveshaft

rpm stage 3 diff 3.42 ratio
rpm stage 7 transmission oem ratios
Lg G2 coilovers
Pfadt light rate sway bars
Line lock
Oem wheels & michelin super sport tires about 40% tread...rears had a psi of 31
For the majority of runs all traction & stability systems were kept ON

Obviously the car is setup for road course duty. Nevertheless where are areas that I can improve and how do I go about improving those areas? For example, my friend said if I dropped my '60 ft times by 1 second, I could be 2 seconds faster at the end of the quarter mile.

Observations:
People were saying I was shifting slow and not launching hard.

I noticed 0 traction with aggressive inputs of throttle in 1st and the start of 2nd. Once it got over 4k wheel hop seemed to start so I backed off. But from the outside nobody saw wheel hop...maybe it was traction control going nuts???

I only made probably 6-10 passes. Only the last two were with a burnout before the run.

I made the mistake of throwing out all of my time sheets except the fastest quarter mile one. But what I remember is that my mph was at 122 for many of them, but similar 12.6x-12.9x. This meant I was getting better at launching the car. But then I would mishift going from 2-3.

Any and all feedback and comments I'm open to.
I always turn off the traction control because with any wheel spin, it takes over and robs me of control.
I don't know if your 0.7 reaction time is typical but if so, you should jump up one light sooner. If you're waiting for the green, try the last yellow. There's 0.5 seconds between lights. You can't run a 0.7 reaction time in bracket racing as the competition will eat your lunch. We do this for fun but I find it's more fun when you win.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:47 AM
iwantaz06now
Melting Slicks

Got it yeah next time runs will be with everything off. I didn't notice any flashing of the dash so it probably meant i never activated any traction or stability system during my runs.

I did notice people were leaving before the green light. What does that mean? I don't understand this concept.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:27 AM
SouthBaySurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Got it yeah next time runs will be with everything off. I didn't notice any flashing of the dash so it probably meant i never activated any traction or stability system during my runs.

I did notice people were leaving before the green light. What does that mean? I don't understand this concept.
The average person's reaction time is between one half and three quarters of a second; if you wait until you see the green light, your R/T will be about .500 to .750. If you leave on the last last yellow light, your R/T should be a lot more respectable.
Your sixty foot time needs some work; apparently, traction is a problem here.
A trap speed of 129 is very impressive and tells me the car capable of high 10's or low 11's.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:07 PM
iwantaz06now
Melting Slicks

Good stuff! I did leave the lights early once. I think it said my reaction time was -2.3xx. Leaving the line and remembering so many things kept me slow to react, like launch rpm, where the clutch should be before takeoff, ease on the gas and don't romp on it, etc...
Old 04-01-2015, 03:26 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

For now, don't worry about your R/T.
Concentrate on your launch and your shifting.

You have too much air pressure in your rear tires. 25 is a good place to start. You'll need to do a quick burnout to get the water off them too.

Gary would be a good one to coach you, as he has a C6Z and he's been down the track a time or two.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 04-01-2015, 10:11 PM
iwantaz06now
Melting Slicks

Great I'll reach out to Gary!

Within 10 minutes of arriving at Atco a guy suggested I drop the rear tire pressures to 18psi. That seemed scary so I didn't try that. I should have dropped to a lower psi but didn't think that was a main contributor to my poor launches. Next time I'll know better.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:06 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Last time i ran 128 in the 1/4, it was a 10.855 had a 1.6 60ft.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:46 PM
iwantaz06now
Melting Slicks

Ahh how much power were you putting down? I guess that means my car is showing it's 603rwhp by achieving a decent top speed despite a crappy launch?
Old 04-06-2015, 09:07 AM
SouthBaySurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Ahh how much power were you putting down? I guess that means my car is showing it's 603rwhp by achieving a decent top speed despite a crappy launch?
Yes, trap speed is a reflection of horsepower. My stock '08 coupe turns mid 12's @ 114.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:23 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthBaySurfer
Yes, trap speed is a reflection of horsepower. My stock '08 coupe turns mid 12's @ 114.
lotsa great information to whet the appetite of a newcomer here

as SouthBaySurfer says, HP is reflective of the power you are making, while a lower Elapsed Time is indicative of how quickly & efficiently you can get that power to the ground, the main culprits being suspension, gearing, TQ-multiplication, and (last but not-least) traction

for-instance, my old Z28 makes about 420 HP at the crank, tips the Toldeos at 3,700 pounds, is shifted at 5,800 RPM, but has run 12.70's @ 107 MPH, hitting the 1/4-mile strip @ 6,000 RPM in High (3rd) Gear, in excellent atmospheric conditions
she generally ran 12.80's/12.90's @ 105 MPH, trapping just-before the shift-light blinks again

as I recall, on it's best-ever 1/4-mile pass, it ran 1.84x to 60', under 5.3xx by a few thousandths to 330', 8.17x at 85 MPH in the 1/8-mile, and 10.66 to the 1,000-foot cone

the photo above, with an 1/8-mile dial-in of '8.04', was after an ill-conceived swap to a bigger motor with more gearing, which often spun the slicks, causing me to lose

compare these incrementals to iwantaz06now's ET-slip above for comparison, and you'll see that while, in a side-by-side run, I'd by well-ahead at half-track,
he would be traveling a full 10 MPH faster, and that he would run me down before the 1/4-mile mark
Old 04-06-2015, 02:41 PM
iwantaz06now
Melting Slicks

Good stuff you can analyze these things for hours!

For me managing wheel hop would really help my numbers. In the warmer weather that we've been having today I am getting much more grip in 2nd gear. I wish it were warmer when we ran last week.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:29 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

right at 520ish
Old 04-21-2015, 05:13 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Fun, isn't it?? Not as much fun as a session on the road course though.. Your MPH is very good considering the 60' time and possible missed shifts, so your car is making power! Your 60' is quite slow, so.....

Def shut the traction control and put it into competitive driving mode.
Don't pay attention to the lights or reaction time if you are just trying to get a good ET.
Drop the rear tires to 25psi, do a small (what I call) "rolling burnout" up to the line, and do not go through the water. No brake applied..

Those can be contributing to the wheel hop.

Atco usually has good track prep, so try to launch at around 2300 rpm or so & adjust up from there. It's all about the clutch release timing with the throttle squeeze (not mash!).
You can get into the throttle quicker than you think due to the above!

Def try to shift as fast as possible. It should sound like an automatic shifting when you get it down. Shift right at 7,000 RPM's too to max out each gear=best ET.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:49 AM
iwantaz06now
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dr.Ron
Fun, isn't it?? Not as much fun as a session on the road course though.. Your MPH is very good considering the 60' time and possible missed shifts, so your car is making power! Your 60' is quite slow, so.....

Def shut the traction control and put it into competitive driving mode.
Don't pay attention to the lights or reaction time if you are just trying to get a good ET.
Drop the rear tires to 25psi, do a small (what I call) "rolling burnout" up to the line, and do not go through the water. No brake applied..

Those can be contributing to the wheel hop.

Atco usually has good track prep, so try to launch at around 2300 rpm or so & adjust up from there. It's all about the clutch release timing with the throttle squeeze (not mash!).
You can get into the throttle quicker than you think due to the above!

Def try to shift as fast as possible. It should sound like an automatic shifting when you get it down. Shift right at 7,000 RPM's too to max out each gear=best ET.
Thanks Dr. Ron yeah I definitely full traction when its over 75 degrees outside. Even with a slow throttle squeeze I kept on getting what sounded like wheel hope so I backed off. I'll definitely drop the pressures to 25 psi too.

Can u have traction control off while at the same time be in competive driving mode? I forgot what that does.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:11 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Thanks Dr. Ron yeah I definitely full traction when its over 75 degrees outside. Even with a slow throttle squeeze I kept on getting what sounded like wheel hope so I backed off. I'll definitely drop the pressures to 25 psi too.

Can u have traction control off while at the same time be in competive driving mode? I forgot what that does.
My bad. Just go into competitive driving mode. It shuts off traction control but leaves on active handling.

Good move lifting for the wheel hop...Remember to do a (rolling) burnout and no water!

Ron

Last edited by Dr.Ron; 05-18-2015 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:40 PM
SlayerRX8
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 49 Posts

Just press the traction control button once for "Traction System Off." Competitive Driving Mode will also turn off stability control, which is still helpful in a drag situation. This guy has all the advice you need. Good luck.

http://www.rangeracceleration.com/

Get notified of new replies

To Newbie Time Slip - Please Analyze

Quick Reply: Newbie Time Slip - Please Analyze