Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Here we go Again....

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 10:37 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 303 Likes on 137 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Here we go Again....

Well, the news is good and bad...the bad news is I have issues and my car will be at idle until next week...we pulled the valve covers today...on the drivers side at # 3, a rocker trunion was split in two...exact same thing that happened on the other side last July...these are all world lifetime warranty Comp golds...oh well...we were happy in that I still had the Crane I borrowed before so we would put that in and I would go racing on Saturday...but wait....

While tightening everything up and re-lashing my buddy noticed a push rod that was not moving...huh?...I bumped it over again and again and nothing...not good...this was on # 5, a different hole, by the way...we had to pull the top off the motor and there it was...a roller lifter was stuck in the bore not moving...I mean stuck like welded...it took two guys with crow bars to get it out...when it finally came out, the bottom of the lifter was gone...completely sheared off like with a chisel...sheesh...it is probably in the pan at this point...

The good news is that this did not wipe the cam somehow...it was stuck in the up position so maybe that’s why...my lifters are Morels...good stuff...my buddy has never seen this happen in all his years using Morels...his distributor said he has sold maybe 5,000 sets of these and not one issue...that’s about right for Eeyore the devil car...he is trying to get it warrantied but I will buy one in the meantime...his distributor has never had a warranty claim for a Morel lifter...

I spoke with a higher up at Comp about my rocker issues and he did me right...I am sending my entire set back to him and he will send me a new set of their best rockers...the Ultra super duper XL kabooky’s...anyway, they are top of the line and overkill for my set up but that’s OK...they cost $450 a set and I am paying with my old set and $18.50...not to bad...mine will go out tomorrow and we should have the new ones next week...no racing for me this weekend...

Once again I have parts failure that no one has ever seen...good grief!.....

Last edited by Fuzzy Dice; 04-08-2015 at 11:04 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:48 AM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dice
... they are top of the line and overkill for my set up...
there IS no-such thing as 'overkill'... you'll just scratch your head twice-as-much when these pieces break
Old 04-08-2015, 12:01 PM
Mike Beck
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You try putting another lifter down that bore yet? I can't think it is in too good of shape if you had to pry the old one out like that. You may have to get that lifter bore repaired. Better to spend the time on it now then possibly later........... Push rod bend? Check leakdown on that cylinder? If somehow the valve didn't get bend after hitting the piston and getting shot back up to break the rocker, I would be very surprised. I had a valve kiss a piston last year and was a $3000 oops........... What a mess.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:11 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Not yet, Mike...the pinky finger test says it is OK though...lol...we'll see...rolled the push rod on the table and it is OK...no wobbles...I'll know more next week but I am hoping for the best...sigh....we rebuilt this motor 19 passes ago...all new and fresh...
Old 04-09-2015, 09:03 AM
96collector
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

his distributor said he has sold maybe 5,000 sets of these and not one issue...that’s about right for Eeyore the devil car.
I think you better get a gallon of holy water..............LOL
Old 04-09-2015, 06:01 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Originally Posted by 96collector
I think you better get a gallon of holy water
if the Gulf of Mexico was full of Holy Water, that car would bleed it dry before the sun went down

"... THEN, there was this other time we were in the 3rd round of eliminations, and I'm really driving well, when suddenly..."

Last edited by Glensgages; 04-09-2015 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:03 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

I'm laughing and crying because you are so right, Glen...I have probably made that 3rd round statement 50 times with this car...
Old 04-09-2015, 08:28 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dice
I'm laughing and crying because you are so right, Glen...I have probably made that 3rd round statement 50 times with this car...
I was trying to make Fuzzy Dice feel better about his situation over the phone, and told him the story of a young racer I knew, who's car was like Dan's, always freaky things happening to it during eliminations:
window get-stuck in the down position, repeatedly breaking ring & pinion (WHO breaks a 9" Ford running high 13's?), battery die in the lanes, etc.

one day, he actually made it to the Final Round, left on his opponent, and by all-accounts had him covered, but when he clicked the shifter into 3rd Gear @ half-track, the lever snapped in-half, and his hand continued forward, contacting the toggle switch for the fuel pump, which then quit running, so his opponent easily passed him before the stripe:
I don't recall the kid ever getting to another Final Round, and I always felt sad for him
Old 04-10-2015, 09:26 AM
Glensgages
Race Director

Get notified of new replies

To Here we go Again....

Quick Reply: Here we go Again....