Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Got the car into the 10.80s finally. NA M6 C6.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 10:59 PM
dev1360
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
No you can scan for free. Only need to spend $100 to tune your car if he will let you use his cord. You need to install a wide band to do any effective tuning. I've found tenths playing with my tune at the track. Perhaps more importantly I've once in a while seen knock and backed off timing which may help explain my lucky longevity.
I leave the tuning up to DSteck lol. This car is a true daily driver. I close the NPPs and cruise in comfortable silence. I'm not chasing every last tenth lol.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:54 PM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

Very nice pass.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:26 AM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Joe_G
No you can scan for free. Only need to spend $100 to tune your car if he will let you use his cord. You need to install a wide band to do any effective tuning. I've found tenths playing with my tune at the track. Perhaps more importantly I've once in a while seen knock and backed off timing which may help explain my lucky longevity.
Ain't no way, no how I'm loaning out a $20,000 HP Tuners cable.

Awesome driving. The car runs it's dick off for sure.
Old 05-16-2015, 03:47 PM
racerxrick
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

great runs, very nice! Congrats on the 10's!

Hey I'm going to send you a PM as I have a couple questions on bias ply's...thanks

Originally Posted by dev1360
Added some pressure into the bias plies and some RPM to the launch. Still getting the hang of it, but it's going well. Need to kill that last bit of bog.

Car specs are in sig.

Here's the video and a copy of the slip.

Attachment 47882116

Driver Mod! Cam only 6 speed C6 goes 10s! - YouTube
Old 05-18-2015, 04:31 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by robz
Very Nice.
You could use a little more tire speed on those launches.
I'd launch a few rpm higher and get into the throttle just a hair quicker before the clutch release.
Raising the tire pressure was the right move when you were bogging a lot on the first few passes. It almost looked like you got off the throttle.
You want to be able to go full throttle on the launch and never pedal. If you start to spin too much then you can lower the tires a bit as long as you aren't bogging. When you get it right you will see 1.4x's and that's still achievable with several revolutions of tire spin coming out of the hole and the car kicking out a little bit.
Put a wide white stripe on your tire and have someone video from side and count the revolutions in slow mo. If your tail doesn't kick out once in a while then your launch is too passive. But of course be safe.
With that said it looks like you are doing everything right and just need some fine tuning.

Maybe try this out.
I used to call it power launching.
Hold the rpms at given rpm like you were doing in the video but slightly lower than normal.
Instead of releasing the clutch and squeezing the throttle at the same time, try hitting the throttle slightly before releasing the clutch so the rpms are climbing as you are releasing the clutch. This won't work with every clutch but most.
It's like launching on a two step but less aggressive. It will take some practice and tweaks.
And shallow stage and don't creep like you did on some of those passes. Creep will kill 60'.

Very good advice from a very good driver.

Originally Posted by robz
I dug up a 10 year old video that shows the technique I was describing in an exaggerated fashion. I believe this setup had 3.90 gears, cam only, and was on MT et streets (bias ply).
396whp

Joe G. in his C6 and many other racers have had success with this launch technique over the years.

Please ignore the silly captions. lol

View My Video
I remember that day Rob!!

Ron
Old 05-27-2015, 12:47 PM
GS_DAN
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Hey Man,

Did you ever get the E85 on your car? I have a very similar setup and would like to run E85. I know i need a bigger injector but i am wondering what the LS3 fuel Pump is good for N/A on E85.

Awesome runs!
Old 06-27-2015, 12:43 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Congrats, nice driving!

Quick Reply: Got the car into the 10.80s finally. NA M6 C6.