Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Finally Got a Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 07:27 PM
HardcoreABN
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Default Finally Got a Trailer

So I finally broke down and got a trailer for the 'vette. Was tired of loading up the car. I was able to stuff the wheels/tires, a few tools, an a chair in , but that was it. No room for any other tools, nitrous bottles, a table, canopy, ect....

parked it between the camper and the garage for now....

Brief mock-up. Going to put another tough box across from the one there. Right now 1 will hold nitrous bottles and the other will hold tools. Going to reinforce the floors of the boxes and U-bolt them to the trailer frame. Also going to mock up a lock bar to go thru the center hub on the wheels to lock them down. A canopy, chairs, ect will go between the tires/wheels and the tough boxes. Might even be room for a big cooler on the *** of the trailer.

I have since cut the hinge off so I could take the ramp off. Going to have the one hinge I cut off flipped and welded back on so I can put the ramp on and off if I need the trailer for other things. Will be picking up another tough box tomorrow and bolting everything down.

I intend for the tongue weight to be at most +/- 50lbs.

Future trailer upgrades include a folding tongue, radial tires, custom cover, and a spare tire. There will be room for 3 or 4 tough boxes if I move the wheels tires and get creative with their placement. Drag week is only 10 months away....

Here is the hitch

Old 11-27-2015, 01:50 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

used to be an older gentleman, who raced an '82 Corvette at Palm Beach International Raceway, who towed a very small enclosed trailer to & from with him, carrying a floor jack, slicks, spare parts, etc., and he was a successful bracket racer with the car, too:
I think that Red69 might have a photo (or two) of his rig

congrats on your set-up!
Old 11-27-2015, 08:44 PM
Red 69
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

This is the best photo I can find of Jamie's 82 and trailer. This photo is over 10 years old. In the photo Jamie is changing out his street tires for slicks.

Last edited by Red 69; 11-27-2015 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:45 PM
HardcoreABN
Drifting

I have thought of making this trailer into a 3' - 4' high enclosed trailer. Maybe next year.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:20 AM
Red 69
Drifting

I had detailed photos of Jamie's trailer, showing how well organized it was. They have been misplaced or lost over time. He put plenty of thought into its organization, to maximize its storage capacity. It amazed me how much he was able to pack into the small Harbor Freight trailer, on which he added larger size tires. He enclosed it with security in mind, but to also allow him easy access to its content.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:43 PM
HardcoreABN
Drifting

Have both boxes on now - well temporary boxes. I need to either reshape the bottom of 1 end of the nitrous bottle box or get one that is a little bigger so I can fit 4x2 instead of 3x2. Also need to get a larger box for tools...most definitely a larger box for tools....

As it sits now it has a negative tongue weight without the tires on the front. should be very little tongue weight with the tires on it. The tongue is being held down by a cinder block lol.

Still need to fab a locking bar to run thru the center of the wheels.Going to be a steel pipe run inside a PVC pipe (to protect the wheels) that will chain to each side of the trailer. I will still run a ratchet strap thru the center so I can keep them nice and tight.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:44 PM
HardcoreABN
Drifting

Have both boxes on now - well temporary boxes. I need to either reshape the bottom of 1 end of the nitrous bottle box or get one that is a little bigger so I can fit 4x2 instead of 3x2. Also need to get a larger box for tools...most definitely a larger box for tools....

As it sits now it has a negative tongue weight without the tires on the front. should be very little tongue weight with the tires on it. The tongue is being held down by a cinder block lol.

Still need to fab a locking bar to run thru the center of the wheels.Going to be a steel pipe run inside a PVC pipe (to protect the wheels) that will chain to each side of the trailer. I will still run a ratchet strap thru the center so I can keep them nice and tight.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:40 AM
Red 69
Drifting

If your trailer sways behind you tow vehicle and does not follow smoothly, you might consider adding more tongue weight. I went through this with a buddy setting up a trailer towing a race car. It swayed left and right under speed. The solution was adding tongue weight, by moving the car more forward on the trailer. You can do a google search for more info on this. In the photo above, Jamie used a mechanical tongue jack (dolly) to support the tongue weight and maneuver the trailer, once disconnected from the car. Good luck, it appears you have a solid plan.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:03 PM
HardcoreABN
Drifting

took it to the track today, pulled pretty well. Backing it up sucks as I can't see the corners of the trailer until it is turned pretty well lol. Fortunately it is light enough to just unhook and walk it where ever I want. Forgot to get some pics, will grab some tomorrow.

I am going to be redoing the boxes with larger ones. Just not enough room in them.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:00 PM
HardcoreABN
Drifting

Old 12-13-2015, 02:51 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

that oughta serve you well!
Old 12-14-2015, 04:17 PM
HardcoreABN
Drifting

Originally Posted by Red 69
If your trailer sways behind you tow vehicle and does not follow smoothly, you might consider adding more tongue weight. I went through this with a buddy setting up a trailer towing a race car. It swayed left and right under speed. The solution was adding tongue weight, by moving the car more forward on the trailer. You can do a google search for more info on this. In the photo above, Jamie used a mechanical tongue jack (dolly) to support the tongue weight and maneuver the trailer, once disconnected from the car. Good luck, it appears you have a solid plan.
Right now I think I have found a nice balance with tongue weight. It pulls nice and stable yet the tongue is light enough that I can pick it up 1 handed and move the trailer around.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:55 AM
trayack
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Here's my setup I use on Drag Week....

Moved the tongue about 10 inches out. Just made another rearmost cross mount for it. Tongue weight is so much better than before.

Before I moved the tongue...

My tow ball/parachute mount

- Travis
Old 12-15-2015, 06:54 AM
HardcoreABN
Drifting

I like it!
Old 12-29-2015, 11:51 PM
LuvC5s
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty cool set up! Where did you buy your hitch and how was the install??
Old 12-30-2015, 12:17 AM
trayack
Drifting

Originally Posted by LuvC5s
Pretty cool set up! Where did you buy your hitch and how was the install??
OP or me?
Old 12-30-2015, 10:38 AM
LuvC5s
Instructor

I don't need a chute but I'm curious where I could get a hitch like HardcoreABN. Travis, I noticed yours is in a different location which I'm assuming is because of your chute.

Get notified of new replies

To Finally Got a Trailer

Old 12-31-2015, 01:21 AM
LuvC5s
Instructor

For those interested who don't have a car trailer and may want to take your car to the track without having to rely on anyone else. Here is an inexpensive trailer and hitch you can buy. Can be used to haul your drag pack, jack, tools etc. Trailer is from Harbor Freight and hitch is made by Curt.

http://t.harborfreight.com/1195-lb-c...els-90154.html

http://www.curtmfg.com/HitchLookup/f...te&style=Coupe
Old 01-03-2016, 10:10 PM
HardcoreABN
Drifting

I got the lowes trailer. I priced it out and after doing the work to the HF trailer I would have come out the same price. My hitch is a Drawtite.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:08 AM
trayack
Drifting

Originally Posted by LuvC5s
I don't need a chute but I'm curious where I could get a hitch like HardcoreABN. Travis, I noticed yours is in a different location which I'm assuming is because of your chute.
Correct, my trailer ball was made to plug into my chute mount when the chute is off the car. Pretty slick setup, and honestly....gotta be one of the most over engineered/costly trailer ***** ever to grace the back of a vette.

- Travis

Quick Reply: Finally Got a Trailer