Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Feb 5, 2016 Royal Purple..the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 11:55 PM
OLD_GOAT
Drifting

Received 396 Likes on 169 Posts

Default Feb 5, 2016 Royal Purple..the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Cue in music from that Eastwood movie.

Well, how about we do things in order. So, we'll start with the GOOD.

Feb. 5, 2016 and I decided to take the Vette (2015 auto Z51 bone stock 1LT) to the local track and make some passes. I always get to the gate early, get teched in, then get in line. You can usually get in a couple of quick passes before the lines get horribly long.

I was the second car to race in the right hand lane. Up to this point I haven't taken the car to the strip but a couple of times and my personal best at this time was an 11.91. This is all well and fine as I have an 11 second car and nothing can change that. However looking at the cars in the 11.7 range and lower did get me a bit jealous.

So I did a good 5 second burnout to warm up the tires and eased on up to the line. I put the car in competitive drive mode, gear in drive, and in track mode. I did use the launch control where you stand on the brake and throttle up. On the last yellow, I launched and I could tell the tires hooked and I felt I was on the way to a great pass. The timeslip didn't lie. I wanted to shoot myself for forgetting to start the PDR.

I turned right around and made another pass, everything exactly like the first run, except I couldn't seem to be able to warm up the tires. Well there is the BAD, not even an 11 second run. You can see the DA when the pass was made and the weight of the car with me in the seat.

OK, there had been a couple of bad break downs that shut down the track for a couple of hours. As I enjoy running the quarter, my patience has it's limits about waiting in line. To be honest, as I was only .04 from an 11.5x, I really wanted to make another pass to see if it was to be.

It wasn't, here comes the UGLY. Note the 60', about as ugly as it gets for the type of car I have. And yes, everything was done the same as on run 1 and run 2. If anything the DA did drop a bit, however the humidity came up. My gut feeling is that when I made the first run, I was the second car to use that lane and I guess the stick'em was working good and when I made my last 2 runs, I guess they needed to re-prep the track. That's all I can figure out.

My plan all along was to see how fast I can get bone stock, then add some long tubes, high flow cats, CAI, and a tune. However I figured to have the parts on my summer and I may still do this, however at this time I'm very happy with an 11.63. I may still make a few more passes as a bone stock car, however down here in Texas, we don't get many Friday nights with the DA in the -1,000 or so range.

Last edited by OLD_GOAT; 09-17-2016 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:07 AM
yell03
Safety Car

Received 470 Likes on 252 Posts

Nice run!!!

Around 0.3 better than your previous best, very nice!
The following users liked this post:
OLD_GOAT (02-06-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 08:31 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Good times regardless. I've been contemplating on return my 08 vette to stock and get me used 15+ Z51 A8. The new auto transmission is the ticket IMO.

Keep going at it and don't give up...better times await.
OLD_GOAT (02-06-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 07:17 AM
yell03
Safety Car

On the last 2 runs, was it a bog that caused the worse 60' times or spinning?

I am wondering if the car started to spin and launch control cut the power off until it regained traction or if it let you spin, especially on the 2.5 60'.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:52 PM
OLD_GOAT
Drifting

Received 396 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by yell03
On the last 2 runs, was it a bog that caused the worse 60' times or spinning?

I am wondering if the car started to spin and launch control cut the power off until it regained traction or if it let you spin, especially on the 2.5 60'.
You know, I'm not really sure. I do know that on race one I was easily able to heat up the tires for around 5 seconds, just like I would if I had drag radials and heated them up. On all three runs I went around the water.

Again, I think it was track prep on the second race of the night, which was my first race as I was number 2 in line.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:21 PM
yell03
Safety Car

Originally Posted by OLD_GOAT
You know, I'm not really sure. I do know that on race one I was easily able to heat up the tires for around 5 seconds, just like I would if I had drag radials and heated them up. On all three runs I went around the water.

Again, I think it was track prep on the second race of the night, which was my first race as I was number 2 in line.
I know when I try launch control in a secluded area, I let it go and sometimes it just starts to move and then bogs for a moment and then takes off, this could mess up your 60' time.

That is what I am thinking happened.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:28 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Good to see you out there running again!

It's also good to see a Z51 car running that strong. I was seeing them run 12.teens at 116-117.. Yours is a half second faster.. That is crazy.

My dad also has a 15', Laguna Blue Z51, auto car.... Crazy to think its 11 sec capable..

Maybe I'll run into you at the track soon and you can give me some pointers.
OLD_GOAT (02-12-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Feb 5, 2016 Royal Purple..the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Quick Reply: Feb 5, 2016 Royal Purple..the good, the bad, and the ugly.