Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Sad Day for Corvette Drag Racing - Ronnie Davis

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 09:21 AM
Nitro-C5

Received 3,049 Likes on 902 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'12, '14-'15

Default Sad Day for Corvette Drag Racing - Ronnie Davis

I originally put this up in OT, but I figured most of you in here would know Ronnie Davis.

(From my original post)

As some of you know, this story to me personally is now Sad, Eerie and even ironic all at the same time. I was not only there and pretty close to the accident but know/working with many of the people involved.

Here is the article about the passing of the great Drag Racer Ronnie Davis this past weekend. https://dragillustrated.com/ronnie-d...cing-injuries/

I was shooting the Rockingham Event for my friend Lizzy Musi (Pro N20) and Drag Illustrated Magazine. before the races started I was speaking to several of the other event Photographers about saftey rules and where to stand/or not to stand. (Rockingham is abit vague about these rules). All of them including the other Photographer Drag Illustrated Ian Tocher (the one that is in critical condition) said the same thing. Watch out shooting in the 1/8 - 1/4 mile mark that is the real danger zone. If something goes bad you won't have time to react. In fact before I left on Saturday morning the editor of Drag Illustrated sent me a message and said be very careful where you stand at the track it is more dangerous then you think.

Well the accident happened on Saturday and no one really knew what was really going to happen to Ronnie or the Photographer Ian (we still don't know about him only he is in serious condition), but they held a Prayer Group that Sunday morning and the track Chaplin went around and personally spoke to all of the Drivers. I was hanging out the Pat and Lizzy Musi during the downtime and Lizzy you could tell had alot of anxiety showing. It turns out that Ronnie Davis was her Mentor when she was in Top Sportsman and a long time friend of the Musi family...then she told me about the Photographer Ian. He was the only one who was doing all of the driver pictures for the magazine and the only other photographer she had worked with prior to working with me back in November. Both of these individuals were very well know, liked and respected in the business.

Below was a picture I took earlier in the day of Ronnie's car being prepped. This one coming off the line may end up being one of the last pics of the man alive as he crashed just a few seconds later. Very sad day.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:07 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

What a tremendously sad deal.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

I truly hope we can learn something about improving safety from this accident.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:23 AM
hookedup
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

R.I.P. Ronnie

Get notified of new replies

To Sad Day for Corvette Drag Racing - Ronnie Davis

Quick Reply: Sad Day for Corvette Drag Racing - Ronnie Davis