Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

This race report is a Doozy....

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 08:38 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 302 Likes on 136 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default This race report is a Doozy....

Yesterday was the final points event at Palm Beach...I left my house at 11:20AM for the 3.5 hour tow...got to the track and unloaded my Monte...it was stupid hot with a heat index of 109*...this was my first time running the car in competition...I had a grand total of three passes prior...can you say Baptism of fire?....

My first time shot was a 6.95 and the second was 6.92.......not good....worse yet my r/t's were 76 and 61 green...ouch!...first round did not happen until 9:44PM...

I get a friend of mine in a quick firebird...he usually dials high 5's but he was having issues with his motor and dialed 6.21...we did our burnouts and he never made it to stage...they gave me a competition single...I went for the tree trying for a .00X...it felt good until I saw my slip...I was -.064...yipers!...oh yeah, I also went 6.94 on my 6.92 dial...not good folks...

Second round I get a late model Camaro...a stick shift car of all things...he is dialed 8.31 to my 6.94...I tree him which sounds good, right...not really...he had a .166 to my .114 light...I catch him and rip it to go a 98 scrubbing 4 mph...on to round next...

The third round is another laugher...my .128 tree beat his .165 for my win...are y'all getting an idea how comical this deal was?.....

I am now in round 4 and haven't won a round with my racing...I get a kind of beat up Malibu circa 1978...he dials 7.08 to my 6.95...the tree drops and I leave first...are you getting the idea?...I had my best light ever in the car with a .054...he snoozed through the whole deal with a .251...how stupid is this?...

Here come round 5 and with a win I am in the money...we are down to 9 cars...I get another friend in a 2015 Corvette...he is an experienced racer...he package races which is fine with me...he dials 7.82 and I dial 6.95...he leaves green and I do as well...unfortunately I am way to green with a .122 light...he kills the tree with a .065...I push him as hard as I can and then feed him the stripe...all I could do but he never looks over and goes 83 on his 82 FTW...oh well...

They announce that those who want to know if they made the division final team need to stick around...I picked up 60 points so I had an outside chance to make it if enough racers decide not to go...I only made three races this year due to no car but earned 160 points...at 3:30AM I left for the 3.5 hour drive home...two cat nap stops and a fuel/coffee stop and I got home at 8AM...

The best thing about the event was I got to make 7 passes which let me get my routine pretty well locked in...I also came to the inevitable conclusion that my converter is way too tight which is killing my cars performance...can't pull it until mid September for FTI to re-do the whole thing...

I am now off to bed for a bit...then unhook the rig and try to rest up for work tomorrow...sigh......Holy Guacamole, what a night!...

Last edited by Fuzzy Dice; 08-21-2016 at 11:54 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:23 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

I always enjoy your reports Fuzzy. We all know sometimes it takes a bit of luck to go rounds.

Sounds like you're getting comfortable with the new whip.

Must have been a lot of cars. How many rounds? 9? Cool stuff.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:44 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

I remember saying to you years ago, Dan, that "sometimes, it's better to be lucky, than being good . . . but it never hurts to work-like-Hell to be good"

that car KNOWS how to find the Victory Lane, so hopefully once your converter woes are cured, you'll be a force
Old 08-23-2016, 07:10 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

I think it went 8 rounds Pete...long night to be sure but it did go a long way to me getting my new routine down...

Yes, Glen, once I get the converter loosened up a bit things should improve, particularly my lights....lol....it looks and feels like the car hit hard on launch but that pic was a 1.54 short time...very lazy...
Old 08-23-2016, 01:18 PM
ralph
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dan you should at least win the iron man competition (no reference to IHRA) for racing until 3:30am with a 3+ hour tow in front of you. I could never do it. If i race til 9:00 and get home at 11:00, I can barely drag myself into the house. However i do have to get up at 6:00am.

The car is obviously not leaving given your skill level and your lights...plus it appears you have 23 inch fronts. Have you tried Deep with this car?
Old 08-23-2016, 09:15 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

"The car is obviously not leaving given your skill level and your lights...plus it appears you have 23 inch fronts. Have you tried Deep with this car? "

Ralph...yes, the car is lazy...the converter is way too tight...I cannot stage above 2400 or it pushes through the beams...it should fire out of the hole with my 5:13 gears...FTI will fix the converter and it will all be good...

I know the fronts look small but they are actually 26" X 4" tires...I could just leave off the button at 3200 but I need to be able to foot feed for certain events...once I get that sorted out I'll play with the trans brake...

Get notified of new replies

To This race report is a Doozy....

Quick Reply: This race report is a Doozy....