Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Skirting Island Dragway NHRA rules

Old 09-15-2016, 08:26 AM
jdarc1
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ_phil
Didn't think I had any mods listed, but it ain't going nowhere unless I can plant it with a 60' under 1.5 secs. Stock ZR1s run mid 10s, bone stock, street tires and a good tune. That's maybe 600hp at the wheels with way too much bottom end to hook it on street tires. I should be +200hp with most of it coming in above 4,000 so hope to be 9.9x with a 1.4 60' or 10.2x with a 1.7 on street tires or nitto drag radials.

Put another way, that's a round trip to 7-11 for a gallon of milk in under 3 mins if nobody is in front of me at the cash register
Island is also a different story all together, its a little slower due to the elevation and hooking up. I run almost .5 faster at Atco, so your car may not be as fast as you think or I should say it may be slower at this track VS. Atco or Etown.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:41 AM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Just want to start off with a roll out of the hole and go through 3 gears, idle through the trap in 4th and take some data. Change the tune, rinse and repeat. Original concern was roll bar needed because of the mods, not the ET.

Probably going to check out Island this weekend but their website shows they are hurting for business. The place was a dump back in the 90s and I can only imagine the condition of it now..

Thanks for everyone's advice....well almost everyone
Old 09-15-2016, 09:47 AM
Suprfly
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its called constructive criticism... learn to embrace it... you will go faster not only down the track but in life...
Old 09-15-2016, 10:16 AM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Suprfly
its called constructive criticism... learn to embrace it... you will go faster not only down the track but in life...
I consider it more motivation, same end result though. Started digging out of videos of 10 second passes on roll outs and decided it wasn't worth the effort.

It's all good man, I'm from Jersey and believe in put up or shut up.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:24 AM
Suprfly
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ive just gone through the frustration of thinking xxx and xxx parts are gonna make my car this fast... only to be beat down by the reality of the track. there is only one way to know how fast your car is gonna go. you can speculate all day but in the end you are right its put up or shut up. id love to be proven wrong. would love to get my car in the 9s. so i hope you keep this thread going with your results/findings. and remember there are drag tracks all over... you get kicked out of one you can always go to another lol
Old 09-15-2016, 10:55 AM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Suprfly
ive just gone through the frustration of thinking xxx and xxx parts are gonna make my car this fast... only to be beat down by the reality of the track. there is only one way to know how fast your car is gonna go. you can speculate all day but in the end you are right its put up or shut up. id love to be proven wrong. would love to get my car in the 9s. so i hope you keep this thread going with your results/findings. and remember there are drag tracks all over... you get kicked out of one you can always go to another lol
I've been there a few times myself, delusional about performance and expectations. Put thousands into bottom ends of a few big blocks and was stuck in 10s for years, mostly due to weight and too much power on the wrong side of the curve but made enough cash on Rt.21 in Passaic, Ave P in Newark and in the Bronx to pay for my "habit". Fast forward 20+ years and now I'm just an old guy with his drag racing days behind him going for 1 final crack at the 9s while keeping the car tame enough for the old lady to drive.

My thinking these days is focus the power on top and avoid the problems and costs associated with low end torque. Centrifugal on 13psi with a Blower cam rather than a PD blower. Leave on 350ft/lb and not 500 and bring that in 60ft later. Wheels up are for kids IMO unless you are a dedicated drag racer.

I'll post some updates on the build and should start dialing everything in next spring.
The following users liked this post:
Suprfly (09-15-2016)
Old 09-16-2016, 08:29 PM
Shirl
Safety Car

Received 1,576 Likes on 663 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

First, they get pissed at Island when you go "too fast" and will immediately warn or yell at you when you get your timeslip. Usually a warning first, if you play dumb. If you go too fast a second time, you will either be told to go to tech or you will be asked to leave. Ask me how I know That being said, with the mods you have, you should be able to go low 10's there without issue on a cool day in the 60's or high 50's as long as you can hook up. I'm sure high 9's is possible but will be more difficult since you can't "practice" there. My C5 with the same mods went 10.8's @130mph a few times on two separate occasions where I stretched the limits. I don't have a cage and probably will never install one. I know it is for safety reasons but if you race a lot, you get use to the power and it doesn't even feel "that fast" after a while. Plus, you have to tear up the interior and I don't really want to do that, so I figure it's just easier to slow down and try and drive "normal" instead. Good luck and please post how well you do, if you go.

Btw, let me know if you're interested in drag tires/wheels. I may sell my setup.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Skirting Island Dragway NHRA rules