Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Skirting Island Dragway NHRA rules

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 07:09 AM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Skirting Island Dragway NHRA rules

I live real close to Island in Great Meadow which would be ideal for test and tune days...but

Pretty sure car will wind up in low 10s/high 9s and there's some strict rules on roll bars, 4pt under 11.5 and 6pt under 10. Exact ranges aren't important because there's no way I'm putting in a roll bar. Rules are also open to interpretation and enforcing them seem to vary from track to track and in different states.

I don't need to see a 1320 ET to tune the car and wondering if they decide what safety equipment is needed depending on what they "see" on the car, or how fast a pass it makes and I can run/tune the car in separate stages like 1/8th mile then back off to pull 12+ and then dial in the launch on another pass with 60ft times, backing off, etc...etc.

LS3, M6, SC+alky, headers, cam, nitto drag slicks

Any advice?
Old 09-06-2016, 07:11 AM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

Rules are there to keep you safe, if your car goes that quick follow the rules.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:43 AM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Black 03 Z06
Rules are there to keep you safe, if your car goes that quick follow the rules.
That's just it, car ain't going that quick through the trap
Old 09-06-2016, 08:07 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 300 Likes on 136 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

"Rules are also open to interpretation"

The rules are very clear and not open to anything...if some tracks look the other way, such as outlaw tracks, that is another issue entirely...if any track is sanctioned they have very specific rules to follow...

What advice are you looking for?...if you do not want to put in a roll bar or cage then lift and make sure you do not run under the number that requires it...if this does not suit you then stay home, no disrespect...you are the one that built the car to go fast...

Safety rules are there to protect you and the car in the other lane...following these rules is not an option, sorry...
Old 09-06-2016, 08:43 AM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Ok then. Sorry to offend anyone and Thank You so much for the safety concerns...Possibly the title post using the words 'Skirting the rules" wasn't the best choice, so cancel my request for advice on doing anything that would compromise my safety. Should have titled the post "Understanding the rules...."

I'll reword by question by asking if required safety equipment is determined by visible mods to the car or how fast a pass is made?

Thanks
Old 09-07-2016, 08:52 AM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

As fuzzy mentioned, lift after the 1/8th and don't run quicker than 11.50.

You'll need a fire jacket and a helmet.

A custom built 5 point bar with a removable swing out driver's bar is very unabtrusive. Then you can at least go down to 10.0/135.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:29 AM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Capthuff
As fuzzy mentioned, lift after the 1/8th and don't run quicker than 11.50.

You'll need a fire jacket and a helmet.

A custom built 5 point bar with a removable swing out driver's bar is very unabtrusive. Then you can at least go down to 10.0/135.
Clear on the helmet, jacket and extinguisher so Thanks,
Looking into bars, just not sure if I'm ready to gut the interior for the install on practically a brand new car. That plus the fact it's only going to see the track 2x year makes it a tough decision. Not looking to race anyone, just want to take some data in a controlled environment rather than on the streets.

The vagueness or interpretation comment that seemed to get fuzzy's panties in a knot were based on what I read at a few track's websites. Seems like a 10 second hellcat can run with just a helmet because it's "stock", yet running meth to keep IAT low needs a jacket and rollbar? Just looking for clarification if it's the modifications done to the car how fast it goes. I'll just back off @ the 660 if it's the latter, or stay home as suggested if otherwise.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:05 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

According to NHRA rules, If your car is an 08 or newer it can run as low as 10.00 with no bar as long as it's "stock". This word is open to interpretation at different tracks. Where I race, there are late model cars running under 10.50s with no cage or bar.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:32 AM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Island is having a test and tune day this Saturday so I'll check out whats running there and try and talk to a few people. Back in the day, safety requirements were based on what class you were placed in, class based on mods, equipment, CI and weight. Ran super stock with a 72 Camaro, high 11s and got thrown into a gas glass after an L88 transplant. All I needed was a driveshaft loop and helmet.

Fast forward to today I have the additional problem of my wife snagging her nylons on the lower roll cage mount if she wants to take the car for a drive. Certainly things are a little different between then and now.

Thanks for the answer guys....
Old 09-08-2016, 12:33 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 300 Likes on 136 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Sorry if you took my response wrong...I am not upset at all...I suppose I was trying to make a point that so many modify their cars to go fast and then want to skirt the safety part of it...that's all...

Capt has it correct...a simple fire jacket and helmet gets you to 11.50...from that point until 10 flat you will need a 5 point roll bar...4 point bars have no meaning in drag racing rules...they are for road racing SCCA types...

Below 10 and you get into some serious and pricey changes...both sanctioning bodies did have to come up with a rule change for the fast stock type vehicles...most tracks call it the pure stock rule...no mods allowed...every track treats this area differently...some are real picky about it and others are not...if the modifications are not evident they may let you slide....if they make you pop the hood and the mods are clear they may kick you out...a lopey cam is trouble down this way...

Good luck to you and I hear you about the mrs...drag racing a modified street car is a tough deal to be sure...
Old 09-08-2016, 12:36 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

I race at Island occasionally. My car runs low 12s so none of this is an issue for me but during tech inspection at Island, they will ask what ET you expect to run. If you say 11.60, they won't look for a bar etc. I think if you shut off at 1/8th, and your 1/4 mile ET is over 11.50, you won't have a problem there.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:14 PM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dice
Sorry if you took my response wrong...I am not upset at all...I suppose I was trying to make a point that so many modify their cars to go fast and then want to skirt the safety part of it...that's all...

Capt has it correct...a simple fire jacket and helmet gets you to 11.50...from that point until 10 flat you will need a 5 point roll bar...4 point bars have no meaning in drag racing rules...they are for road racing SCCA types...

Below 10 and you get into some serious and pricey changes...both sanctioning bodies did have to come up with a rule change for the fast stock type vehicles...most tracks call it the pure stock rule...no mods allowed...every track treats this area differently...some are real picky about it and others are not...if the modifications are not evident they may let you slide....if they make you pop the hood and the mods are clear they may kick you out...a lopey cam is trouble down this way...

Good luck to you and I hear you about the mrs...drag racing a modified street car is a tough deal to be sure...
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dice

Fuzzy,
Apologies for my ahole comment....and I so hear you about people over building their car and can't believe more haven't killed themselves by what I see on youtube, 1500+ hp, 170+ on the highway and their go pro's rolling. Freaking insane. Trust me, I didn't work hard all my life and put 3 kids through college just to die behind the wheel in my mid life crisis project. At this stage of my life, I don't have to use 800hp, just want to know it's there. Pretty sure the cam and whine coming from the supercharger will force a hood pop but all I can do is try to get in line.

As for the Mrs..She donated her 2011 2SS Camaro for the down payment on this project and my only hope is she gets behind the wheel once, puts the pedal to the floor, then runs like hell and never want to drive it gain.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:49 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Different tracks handle tech in various ways. Some are strict and follow the book to the letter, while others barely take a second glance.

You would think that Indianapolis (now Lucas Oil Raceway), being the historically premium NHRA track and the home of the US Nationals since 1961, would be serious about safety and check cars thoroughly.
I ran a TnT there while on vacation in July and they not only didn't look at the car, but didn't bother to check my helmet for the date sticker.

The last time I was at Indy (prior to July) was 50 years ago last week and the stands were packed. Now they only have about half as many seats and can't fill them. Look at the pics on HotRod online and notice the pitiful amount of spectators for the biggest race of the year.

Keep the doors open is a priority for many tracks, so money at the gate rules.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:24 PM
DRIVER456
Melting Slicks

Location: NY- 2013 Corvette Challenge Champion-2013 Index Combo Champion 2015 CC/MM Champion
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Like others said,Shut it off at the 1/8th mile or the 1000ft mark you won't have a problem, and on your last run,Run it out the back door!!!
Old 09-10-2016, 02:19 PM
Suprfly
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

little off topic... but with the mods listed i highly doubt you will run 9s... possibly mid 10s..

but its possible your car isnt as fast as you think it is..
Old 09-10-2016, 02:50 PM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Suprfly
little off topic... but with the mods listed i highly doubt you will run 9s... possibly mid 10s..

but its possible your car isnt as fast as you think it is..
Didn't think I had any mods listed, but it ain't going nowhere unless I can plant it with a 60' under 1.5 secs. Stock ZR1s run mid 10s, bone stock, street tires and a good tune. That's maybe 600hp at the wheels with way too much bottom end to hook it on street tires. I should be +200hp with most of it coming in above 4,000 so hope to be 9.9x with a 1.4 60' or 10.2x with a 1.7 on street tires or nitto drag radials.

Put another way, that's a round trip to 7-11 for a gallon of milk in under 3 mins if nobody is in front of me at the cash register

Last edited by NJ_phil; 09-10-2016 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:09 PM
Suprfly
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ_phil
Didn't think I had any mods listed, but it ain't going nowhere unless I can plant it with a 60' under 1.5 secs. Stock ZR1s run mid 10s, bone stock, street tires and a good tune. That's maybe 600hp at the wheels with way too much bottom end to hook it on street tires. I should be +200hp with most of it coming in above 4,000 so hope to be 9.9x with a 1.4 60' or 10.2x with a 1.7 on street tires or nitto drag radials

Put another way, that's a round trip to 7-11 for a gallon of milk in under 3 mins if nobody is in front of me at the cash register
"LS3, M6, SC+alky, headers, cam, nitto drag slicks" in your first post..

You are very ill informed if you think there are stock zr1s running mid tens on street tires. And even more out of your mind if you think you are gonna 60 ft a manual car into the nines or 10.2 on street tires... I'd love for you to prove me wrong however. My car a m6 s/c, headers, clutch, 610 rwhp on SLICKs I can cut a 1.65 60 ft time and best time is 10.9 in shitty air...

Get notified of new replies

To Skirting Island Dragway NHRA rules

Old 09-10-2016, 10:53 PM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Suprfly
"LS3, M6, SC+alky, headers, cam, nitto drag slicks" in your first post..

You are very ill informed if you think there are stock zr1s running mid tens on street tires. And even more out of your mind if you think you are gonna 60 ft a manual car into the nines or 10.2 on street tires... I'd love for you to prove me wrong however. My car a m6 s/c, headers, clutch, 610 rwhp on SLICKs I can cut a 1.65 60 ft time and best time is 10.9 in shitty air...
Rather than get into this with you, I'll just say Thanks for setting me straight and Good luck to you man.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:35 PM
Tsab
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If your car is a ZR1 then it came with "stock" with a Supercharger etc.

You should be legal to 10.00 according the the NHRA rules. If you can 60' in the 1.45 range you may get into the low 10's. Good Luck
Old 09-15-2016, 08:22 AM
jdarc1
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by BKbroiler
I race at Island occasionally. My car runs low 12s so none of this is an issue for me but during tech inspection at Island, they will ask what ET you expect to run. If you say 11.60, they won't look for a bar etc. I think if you shut off at 1/8th, and your 1/4 mile ET is over 11.50, you won't have a problem there.
Im at island all the time. This is the way to go about it. Its totally OK with them.

Quick Reply: Skirting Island Dragway NHRA rules