Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

I guess there is a first time for Everything...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 10:55 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 302 Likes on 136 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default I guess there is a first time for Everything...

and there was tonight...

I went to the Race for the Cure to help Cystic Fibrosis kids...I ran Pro ET to get some more seat time before the division finals on Oct. 5th...

Let me say that I was under the weather...I took a fall at work last Monday and am still feeling the effects...I wanted the seat time so I tried to fight through it...

I was up at 5AM and on the road at 6:30...got in line at the track at 7:20...gates opened at 8AM...the joint was packed which I was happy to see for a charity event...they had 11 classes from Pro Mod on down...

My first time shot was at 10:40AM..sheesh...it was stupid hot, btw...the temp reached 94* with a heat index of 102* by 2PM...the track temp was 151 by laser...good grief!...the heat was getting to me on top of all my other issues...my second hit was at 2:30PM...I came very close to passing out in the staging lanes...not good....this is Sept. 24th isn't it?...

My time shots were 6.90 and 6.91 with 36 and 46 lights...oh well...they called us up for first round of elims at 6:45PM...it was still 92*...at this point I was not feeling well at all...I should have gone home...heck, I should never have come...

I line up with a turbocharged BMW dialed 6.46...I have 6.91 on my car...I leave first and rip at the finish for the win...turns out he went red but I never even realized it...I had a .023 tree...my 330' said I was heading for a high 6.89...

Second round is called at 9:15PM...I tell my buddy John I am leaving after this, win or lose...I catch the girlfriend of a buddy in her beautiful 2nd gen Camaro...she dials 6.63 and I put 6.89 on mine...I leave first and she follows green...she is not catching me so I tighten the stripe and lead her through by .012...at this point I am fighting not to throw up in the car...

Back to my pit and onto the trailer...thanks for all your help ZR1John...I was hydrating like crazy but the heat still put me down...

Leaving a race after winning the round is the first time I was speaking of, btw....I did not have a choice but it still sucks...

Last edited by Fuzzy Dice; 09-24-2016 at 10:57 PM.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:03 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Sounds like good solid seat time and a good crowd for a good cause.

Sorry to hear you're feeling ill.

Rest up, get better and do a repeat of last year at the finals.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:46 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

FD,

I saw you win R2 but noted later your rig was gone. Since you said earlier you were not feeling well I assumed that you made the right call to throw in the towel and race another day. Given this was a charity event with no points at stake I thought about doing the same thing myself.

I went to the semi-final in No Box losing to the eventual winner. I picked a bad time to run my worst RT and off-dial of the night. The run was at 1:30 am Sunday and I will blame it on being an old man and weary after getting to the track at 7:45 am on Saturday . The night was made even later by a 45 minute delay when the power went out at about midnight plunging the entire place into almost total darkness!

Get well and good luck at the IHRA Bracket Finals.

BIGMAC
Old 09-26-2016, 10:48 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 302 Likes on 136 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Big congrats Mac...that was a big field to wade through with some tough customers present...it is tough to keep focus on that long of a day, been there and done that...

I am feeling better but the heat definitely got me...I will do my best up in S.C....btw, who won in Pro ET?....
Old 09-26-2016, 11:37 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dice
Big congrats Mac...that was a big field to wade through with some tough customers present...it is tough to keep focus on that long of a day, been there and done that...

I am feeling better but the heat definitely got me...I will do my best up in S.C....btw, who won in Pro ET?....
FD,

The winner was in a blue 3rd gen Camaro...the pic is on the OSW Facebook page. It was a weird situation. The car was being driven by two different people and I did not know either one. I ended up beating the one guy twice...I won in R1 and he bought back. I ended up running him again in R3 and won again. (I hate running the same car twice but when I pulled into the lanes I missed this was the car I had beaten in R1). The car was also being driven by a very young guy who beat me in the semi and won the race. I must admit I did not know that two different people driving the same car in the same class was allowed. Plus in the semi I was first to the lanes and took the right lane. The guy pulled in behind me (only 4 cars at this point of course) and he wanted the right lane also. The staging line guy made us flip for lane choice (I did not complain and I did win the flip) but I thought lane choice went to the first car in the lanes. However, none of this really mattered since I was late and did not run the number. However, it was a great day/night as I got there, went some rounds, and got home safe...I can't really ask for more than that!

BIGMAC

Get notified of new replies

To I guess there is a first time for Everything...

Quick Reply: I guess there is a first time for Everything...