Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

DSC Sport Controller - Drag Racing and Straight Line Pulls - Putting Power Down

Old 12-09-2016, 07:50 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Default DSC Sport Controller - Drag Racing and Straight Line Pulls - Putting Power Down

In a different thread there's an ongoing discussion about the magnetic shock benefits realized with the DSC Sport suspension controller in road course and aggressive "twisties" driving. I have a controller on my Porsche GT1 997.2 911T race car and C7Z. I'm amazed at the improvements realized on both these cars. Others who have installed a controller express similar results.

Also discussed in the other thread is the difficulty putting power down from a standing or rolling start with the C7Z. Most don't realize the DSC Sport controller was designed to improve performance in straight line applications as well as road course and street driving applications.

Mike Levitas who owns TPC Racing is an accomplished racer and race shop owner. His credentials include winning the Daytona 24 Hours and numerous IMSA titles. He's also a long time Corvette nut and drag racing fan. The controller website is: www.dscsport.com.

Mike's a friend of mine and expressed some time back he was frustrated with difficulty putting power down with the C7Z. Additionally, he saw room for improvement from the magnetorheological shocks on road courses. Mike's chassis, suspension and setup knowledge from an engineering standpoint is world class.

I asked Mike to contribute his thoughts to the other thread. He was hesitant as he didn't want to seen as joining the discussion to promote sales of his controller. I convinced him his contribution would be welcomed.

I thought you folks would appreciate the post Mike contributed to the other thread specific to how the DSC Controller improves the ability to put power down in straight line applications:

Mike Levitas here. I thought I would chime in and try to give a few cool details about the DSC Sport controller. There are many features of the controller. One of note is the massive improvement in grip that translates in huge improvements in 60 ft times as well any speed roll-on.

My C7 Z06 M7 was so bad stock it would blow the rear tires off in 3rd gear. Now my car barely squeaks the tire.

How this is achieved is uncomplicated. The controller has an acceleration table that is used in throttle rate of change. There is a sensitivity feature so you can time the rate of change of the throttle to the compressor bypass valve in the blower.

This triggers a table that allows tuning of the magnetic dampers so you can soften low speed rear compression to soften the blow to the tire and increase low speed front rebound to slow down weight transfer so the tires are not overloaded. The result is the car flattens out with nice transfer so you don't blow off the tires.

That being said, please understand setup is critical. You must adhere to my setup on the rear uprights. Caster is king in controlling the toe curve. I'm not sure what GM was thinking with their suggested alignment setup but the car works way better with 0.75 degrees positive rear caster. Also, try to keep eccentric in the center.

I like 1.2 camber for most street cars leaving in all control arm washers. The rear toe loves to be out -0.5mm with this caster.

The secret sauce is the DSC controller so now the shocks can go way softer than stock so you don't blow off the tire. Road racing and drag racing are a lot the same in approach. I've spent time analyzing 100s of cars. Launching a good car just leaves no drama and no big weight transfer. The car just drops and leaves same as a good car off the corner and never even turns a tire.

There is so much power in the DSC controller your imagination is your only limit or lack there of. Please remember there is still the velocity tables that allow tuning of grip to the tires.

Last edited by rikhek; 12-09-2016 at 10:16 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DSC Sport Controller - Drag Racing and Straight Line Pulls - Putting Power Down