Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Fuzzy Dice @ the New Year's Nationals in South Georgia

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 09:56 AM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Fuzzy Dice @ the New Year's Nationals in South Georgia

Dan called me this morning, with an update from this event

sadly, attendance is down from last year's event, and rain is in the forecast for Sunday's finale

on his first time shot of the weekend, Dan said the the engine hit the rev-limiter twice, so he manually clicked the shifter into High Gear, and completed the run:
once back into his pit-space, he found that the bracket, holding the piston for his electric shifter, had bent backwards far-enough that when the piston fired, it didn't bump the lever into High, so he began making plans to remedy this once he returns from this race, and decided to continue racing, shifting by-eye off the tachometer

with 5.13:1 gears, the needle on his tach moved quicker than he anticipated, and has been struggling to shift on-time, but he still won a few rounds Friday evening, getting down-to 24 cars in No Box, before he lost traction due to extremely cold track temperatures, nearly auguring into the wall before the 60' clocks:
after that round, the event was postponed until today, when the track can be made proper for racing

when he returns and can access his computer, I'm sure he will have an interesting story to tell
Old 12-31-2016, 07:29 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Thanks for the update.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:03 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 303 Likes on 137 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I'm baaaaack....lol...

What a crazy weekend...we raced for $5K on Friday...my two time shots went well...it was freezing cold for this Florida boy but the car liked it a lot...went 6.67 and 6.58...on my first pass the car did not shift....oops..as Glen said, the bracket had bent back...thin aluminum so no surprise...I found out this deal was installed over 25 years ago on the car...sheesh...

I bent the bracket back but it was too soft at this point and was not reliable...I decided to shift by tach since I has no shift light...this was interesting since I had never shifted just off the tach in my life...off a shift light, yes, but...very quickly I realized it would not work since the rpm would climb so fast...good grief!...

First round I got lucky with a .044 light and one over for the win...I dialed 6.60 as a pure guess...I left it on for round two and raced a tough guy in an S Dime...track champ stickers all over his whip...ruh roh...he was .029 and dead 8...unfortunately for him I was .021 and dead 0...no luck there, yeah right...

Round three I got a friend from Immokalee in his malibu wagon dialed 7.62...I put 6.59 on mine...he left green and so did I...sadly, I went straight right towards the wall...I had to lift and peddle twice spinning a lot...I tried to at least push him out but he was too far gone by that point...btw, the outside temp at that point was 37 with a 15 mph headwind...brrrrrrrr.....very cold track...

Saturday morning dawned at 33 degrees...holy qwap!!!!...I tried to call in my race from the IHOP but that did not work...at least it was a sunny cold...lmao...I finally got my race car started and was warming it up when it went out of high rear all by itself...what next?!...

Anyway, I took my one time shot and it moved violently to the wall again...much worse this time...I only got 80' down track...checked the car back in the pit and nothing seemed amiss...I had heard my lane, the right lane, was trouble for others as well...I had nothing to lose so I made some changes...

Time for the first round only we now know we are racing for Saturdays 5 grand and Sundays 5 grand combined...great and with me Mr. goofy shifter boy...oh well...I decide to switch to the left lane even with no previous passes there...I also decide to short shift since I cannot see the damn numbers or needle on the tach anyway..I see a round white thingy but that's about it...

I line up with a known hitter from Georgia...he has won his last two events which happened to be for big money...he is a friend but how much bad luck can I have...I change my dial from 6.62 to 6.64....why?...because my butt told me to...smoke and mirrors, folks, smoke and mirrors...he dials 6.52 and we are off...

I leave green at .062...fooey!....he is better but not by much at .050...it is tight at the stripe...too tight to lift...I take the stripe by a bit and win on a double breakout...I run 6.634 and he runs 6.542...whew!...thank goodness I went straight...turns out it was the right lane causing it...

After all classes had run the first round, the rain came and they had to cancel...I got enough back to pay my entire weekend entry fee plus some extra...some other highlites were when my dial in board fell apart in staging...the Velcro gave up the ghost...the funny one was when I won the first round on Saturday...upon launch, my rear view mirror let go and went flying past my right ear and smashed into my tubs...I knew I was focused but, damn...

Well, I need to fix some stuff for this Saturdays first points event at Orlando...not sure that is gonna happen, we'll see...big thanks to Mike for all his help at the track and thanks to Glen for posting this...

Last edited by Fuzzy Dice; 01-01-2017 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:40 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Dang, that's cold even for us northerners...

Always good to leave the track with a little cash.

Good luck in Orlando.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:09 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 303 Likes on 137 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Fixed the shifter plate yesterday...I need a rear view mirror and new Velcro for my dial board but I can race without that stuff...woot!....thanks Pete....

Get notified of new replies

To Fuzzy Dice @ the New Year's Nationals in South Georgia

Quick Reply: Fuzzy Dice @ the New Year's Nationals in South Georgia