Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Chief Dan Blackcloud is still Here...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 08:02 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 303 Likes on 137 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Chief Dan Blackcloud is still Here...

and he showed up yesterday...again....sigh...

We had our first Summit Series points race of the season...I was ready and so was my car...or so I thought...it was a lovely day, high of 84, sunny, and the DA never got above +2500...

The gates opened at 10AM and we had our first time shot at around 11:30...we had fixed my shifter so I was hoping for the best...my first run was uneventful and shifted right on time...woot!...went 6.78 with a +2000 DA...

An hour later I made my second time shot and went 6.70...oops...seems I must have staged a bit deep on my first run...now it is time for our first round of elims and off I go...

I dial a 6.71 noting to be careful to stage shallow...I line up with a Gen II Camaro dialed 6.47...I leave green and so does he...then it happens...sigh...dat..dat..dat...I am on the rev limiter...damn car did not shift again...I whack it into high gear and, fortunately take the stripe for the win...turns out I got him with a .024 light to his .088...otherwise I lose...

I detect a tiny ridge on the shifter surface which may be stopping the piston from pushing the shift lever to high gear...a ballpeen took care of that...literally...oh well....ready for round two...

They call us up and I am off to the staging lanes...I leave 6.71 on my window...I am waiting in the lanes and I check my gauges for the CO2 bottle on my shifter...holy guacamole!...the bottle is empty...this is my first time out with this new system...obviously I have a leak somewhere...30 minutes ago the bottle was at 1000 lbs...sheesh...

I jump out of the car and change my dial to 6.78...I am thinking I will have to shift manually which for me means short shifting...I figure that leaves me holding around 4 numbers...I get a good buddy in his 1970 challenger dialed 7.02...he is off green and I go .022 red...I did not handle the adversity as well as I would like to...qwap!...

Sooner or later I will get to race an event with a car that does not fark up...I changed the shifter bottle from compressed air to CO2 because I got real tired of having to recharge it even during an event...once I get this leak fixed the CO2 should be good for at least a year at a time...

Time to break out the soapy water, lol...when I bought this car as a roller, I knew it was an old piece that had not been maintained particularly well...it was a very. very successful piece and I will get it sorted out soon...
Old 01-22-2017, 09:42 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Dan, why don't you just shift it by hand? Less to go wrong!
Old 01-24-2017, 08:05 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 303 Likes on 137 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by mackeyred96
Dan, why don't you just shift it by hand? Less to go wrong!
I would need to add a shift light, John, and with my 5:13 gears the shift happens so fast I am not sure I could be really consistent...I switched over from compressed air to CO2 to make my life easier...only refill maybe once a year...

I knew when I bought this car that most of the race parts were very old...over 25 years old...this leak will be a small fix and then I should be good to go for a while...it needs all new wiring including a new MSD box...sigh...unfortunately SS does not pay that good so this will have to wait...lol....

I hope all is well with you?...

p.s. when we hit the shifter with that ballpeen we may very well have caused the leak ourselves....stuff happens...

Last edited by Fuzzy Dice; 01-24-2017 at 08:10 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Chief Dan Blackcloud is still Here...

Quick Reply: Chief Dan Blackcloud is still Here...