Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Rain, rain, Go Away....

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 06:45 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 299 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Rain, rain, Go Away....

Yesterday was the second points event of the Summit Series at Orlando speedworld...weather was fine, 80 degrees and sunny...DA was good at +2100...

Gates opened at 9:30AM...I got my first time shot in Pro ET at 11:10...ran a 6.72 with a .033 light but more importantly, the car ran great with no glitches...the last four times out I had stupid stuff happen to stop me from racing while at the track...

We got our second pass at about 12:30PM and I went 6.65 with a .037 tree...oops!...what the heck is going on?...I chalked it up to a staging error and got ready for elims...they called first round and up to staging I went...I line up with a good buddy in his challenger...he dials 6.92...I put 6.70 on mine figuring I am holding 5 or so...

This is where I get stupid, once again...sigh...they start moving us up and I go to start my car and hear a noise...what the heck is that?...well, I forgot to shut off the water pump and engine fan the whole time I was waiting instaging...sheesh...my car started but it was below ice cold...qwap!!!

I do what I can to put heat in the motor but still launch at 125 degrees...normally I leave at 150*...the car jumped hard and I red lit by .001...damn...it ran 6.66 with me lifting...I make the walk of shame and get ready for round two...fooey...

They call us up and I hear weather is coming in so I know I need to win this round for a chance at any dough re me...I put 6.67 on my car, holding a couple or so...I catch a lady in a Gen II Camaro dialed 6.68...I almost dialed same for a heads up race but I know dirty trees don't bother me so I leave it alone...

She goes -.007 and I am .035...got my win and, sure enough the rains came soon thereafter...they dry the track twice but it rains again so they finally call it...I got enough back to pay for the day so no complaints...

The best deal was all the fixes I did worked fine...no more leak in the CO2 shifter line...all switches acted right and the inside car fan kept me cool...thanks ZR1John for that....my pump gas motor is working good so I am looking forward to the rest of the season...
Old 02-19-2017, 07:53 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

FD,

Glad you had a good outing despite the rain. I was checking over my C5 on Friday before loading it on the trailer and noticed the serpentine drive belt was two ribs off the crank pulley. I guess the stock balancer finally decided to give up. I toyed with bringing the wife's Mercedes to the race to salvage some points but thankfully thought better of it and took my wife to dinner instead.

On a side note the C6 GS is slowly coming back together at Next Level Perfomance in Longwood. I hope to have it back late this upcoming week for some street break-in driving. After that, it will go back to NLP for full throttle dyno tuning.

BIGMAC
Old 02-19-2017, 04:14 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 299 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Thanks Mac...I looked for you but figured something was up...I was glad to get one event under my belt with no issues, even a shortened one...lol...hope the GS is OK and I will see you at the next event...

Get notified of new replies

To Rain, rain, Go Away....

Quick Reply: Rain, rain, Go Away....