Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

TRZ Tubular Front Suspension

Old 03-01-2017, 01:02 PM
blkscls1z
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default TRZ Tubular Front Suspension

I know there are very few people running this, but wondering if anyone can verify what the actual weight difference is from the stock K-Member/A-Arms to their K-Member and A- Arms?

I see their website says up to 70lbs, but I can see the majority of that being due to drag brakes.

Edit: Added up all of the stock front suspension components and calculated a total weight of 86.3lbs (C6 Z06)

Cradle: 23.2
Upper A Arms: 5.4 (Both)
Lower A Arms: 18.2 (Both)
Leaf: 11
Shocks: 8 (Both)
Sway Bar: 20.5

Total: 86.3

Last edited by blkscls1z; 03-01-2017 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Added weights
Old 03-01-2017, 04:09 PM
smokinstorm
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by blkscls1z
I know there are very few people running this, but wondering if anyone can verify what the actual weight difference is from the stock K-Member/A-Arms to their K-Member and A- Arms?

I see their website says up to 70lbs, but I can see the majority of that being due to drag brakes.

Edit: Added up all of the stock front suspension components and calculated a total weight of 86.3lbs (C6 Z06)

Cradle: 23.2
Upper A Arms: 5.4 (Both)
Lower A Arms: 18.2 (Both)
Leaf: 11
Shocks: 8 (Both)
Sway Bar: 20.5

Total: 86.3
I'm going to do this but am going to eliminate the power steering as well when I do thereby saving even more weight. I've already got the drag brakes but I'll be able to do a before/after total weight saving when I do it. Sorry it won't help now.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:18 PM
blkscls1z
Racer

Originally Posted by smokinstorm
I'm going to do this but am going to eliminate the power steering as well when I do thereby saving even more weight. I've already got the drag brakes but I'll be able to do a before/after total weight saving when I do it. Sorry it won't help now.
Looked up the weights on the stock rack and pump.
Rack: 24lbs
Pump: 3lbs
Lines, brackets and other misc: 5lbs
Total: 32lbs

I'd estimate their manual rack setup weighs around 15lbs or so.

Last edited by blkscls1z; 03-01-2017 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Weights
Old 03-02-2017, 07:05 AM
Gxpz06
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

I have my c5/c6 rack complete with brakes and shocks sitting on the garage floor,. dont think I could weigh it but could guessimate it...

If you are Completely NUTS about weight LIKE myself do it , if NOT do NOT do it,. Its Not lighter piece for piece,, Its only lighter because it allows you to run a Lighter strange HUB assembly and delete power steering... and brakes of course BUT you dont need different rack to run lighter

Its Very impressive how our ALuminum oem pieces are so light and so streetable,. Once you go Trz you WONT be streetable as you'll worry a pot HOle Could take out your k-member (no proof Just suspecting) ...

my set up is VERY light because I went with the extreme with manual rack, light brakes with lighter Hubs,. If I really think about it NOW why dont they Make it With Chromoly ?!!!

Chromoly would save me 2-3 lbs I estimate,. Imma contact them and if they can build me same set up in chromoly my Set it up will be up for sale

EDIT;; JUST read on webiste "Chrome-Moly Rod-Ends and tubing Used Throughout " I m not sure if thru-out means the rack is Mild steel or Chome-moly or just some???!!

Last edited by Gxpz06; 03-02-2017 at 07:12 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:08 AM
Gxpz06
Safety Car

PS... the new coil over set up--- the schocks are Heavier then stock, and the 2 springs are all depended on your weight... if you are near stock weight then your springs and shocks will be similar in weight as leaf set up... I now was finally to come down to a much lighter spring and saved 5lbs on the coil springs
Old 03-02-2017, 11:00 AM
blkscls1z
Racer

Spindle mount is going to kill it for me. I need something that will hold up to street use also.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:39 AM
Gxpz06
Safety Car

Spindle mount is going to kill it for me. I need something that will hold up to street use also.
I went with 5 lug --- cant see how spindle would save weight... Hey I do have tags and drive it on the street just with WAY more care then if stock aluminum was on...

my front end is also ALOT lighter in all other aspects then any drag racer out there...

Last edited by Gxpz06; 03-02-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:57 PM
DBN
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't know about the TRZ but I just installed the first C5 front k-member, a-arm kit from Midwest Chassis. I already had the light-weight Strange drag brakes and manual steering rack but was still using the factory cradle and a-arms. I did go with the spindle mount option and lost 60#. Just a thought.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:06 PM
blkscls1z
Racer

Originally Posted by Gxpz06
I went with 5 lug --- cant see how spindle would save weight... Hey I do have tags and drive it on the street just with WAY more care then if stock aluminum was on...

my front end is also ALOT lighter in all other aspects then any drag racer out there...
TRZ told me you can use a Strange 5 Lug setup with their piece. Not too worried about everything else as I know people who have driven on similar front end setups for Drag Week. Really trying to justify if the weight reduction is worth the cost. C6Z already has a lighter magnesium front cradle, compared to base c6 and c5s.

Originally Posted by DBN
I don't know about the TRZ but I just installed the first C5 front k-member, a-arm kit from Midwest Chassis. I already had the light-weight Strange drag brakes and manual steering rack but was still using the factory cradle and a-arms. I did go with the spindle mount option and lost 60#. Just a thought.
Good to have another option! Checked out their webpage and their FB page, but didn't see any other info on it. Do you have any pics?
Old 03-02-2017, 04:42 PM
Gxpz06
Safety Car

TRZ told me you can use a Strange 5 Lug setup with their piece. Not too worried about everything else as I know people who have driven on similar front end setups for Drag Week. Really trying to justify if the weight reduction is worth the cost. C6Z already has a lighter magnesium front cradle, compared to base c6 and c5s.

Good to have another option! Checked out their webpage and their FB page, but didn't see any other info on it. Do you have any pics?
I did check as well and its not on website either... yes the Trz set up I have is with strange 5 lug hubs.. thats where most of my weight was lost, and manual rack.... I made myself a $100 per pound loss rule and it fit right in there... although I broke my own rule with valve covers and carbon headlight covers the other day But Im in Desperate mode to reach my goal for this year
Old 03-02-2017, 06:00 PM
smokinstorm
Racer

Originally Posted by DBN
I guess one needs to call about the a-arm kit and front K-member from Midwest Chassis? I've got the Strange drag brakes but really want to get the manual steering rack and other parts as soon as possible. If you saved 60#'s and already had the manual steering rack, this is an amazing weight savings for my car. I'm just not going to be happy unless I can sub cut a sub 1.2 60' so I know I've got to get a bunch more weight off of it to realistically shoot for that goal. How much was your setup if you don't mind me asking.
The following users liked this post:
z06enthusiast (02-21-2022)
Old 03-03-2017, 08:41 AM
DBN
Drifting

Call Eric at Midwest. He can give you pricing on the k-member kit. As you can see from the picture, I am using my Stiletto manual steering rack. Also included in the kit was the upper a-arms and the spindle mount Strange brake kit. Sub 1.2x 60' times is a lofty goal but it can be done with enough power and the right set up.
Gxpz06 (03-04-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 04:51 PM
smokinstorm
Racer

Originally Posted by DBN

Call Eric at Midwest. He can give you pricing on the k-member kit. As you can see from the picture, I am using my Stiletto manual steering rack. Also included in the kit was the upper a-arms and the spindle mount Strange brake kit. Sub 1.2x 60' times is a lofty goal but it can be done with enough power and the right set up.
I just got off the phone with Midwest. Now I need to call TRZ and get the real scoop from them as well. Midwest's product is race dedicated and they told me the front suspension travel was insufficient for street use at all (4" travel vs 8" stock) and that the drag brakes I already have will not work with their product. They use a spindle mount, again, not street friendly at all. I guess for a race product, theirs is the best. I need to get ahold of TRZ and listen to their tech guru give me the skinny on their product now but it's not looking like I'll be running the Midwest K-member/A-arm setup at this point. I've got to do something, though. It's going to take everything plus the kitchen sink to run what I want to run with my car given the fact that I don't have another $24K to throw at the transmission and another $25K+ to throw at the engine to give me enough reliable horsepower to push a heavy car to insane speeds. I'm chipping away at the weight little by little though. I'll be under 3000#'s before you know it.
Gxpz06 (03-04-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 08:57 PM
trayack
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Truthfully, with the mag cradle you're already using Malcolm I don't see much benefit in making the COSTLY swap. You're really not going to be saving that much weight and the streatability will always be in question. As far as I'm concerned the real benefit to the K-member/arms swap is added clearance. It would be great for my car with the twins sitting down there but for you I just don't see it.

- Travis
Gxpz06 (03-04-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 04:28 PM
blkscls1z
Racer

Originally Posted by trayack
Truthfully, with the mag cradle you're already using Malcolm I don't see much benefit in making the COSTLY swap. You're really not going to be saving that much weight and the streatability will always be in question. As far as I'm concerned the real benefit to the K-member/arms swap is added clearance. It would be great for my car with the twins sitting down there but for you I just don't see it.

- Travis
You're right. I've come to that realization after doing a good amount of research. I'd love to lose 100 more lbs before DW this year and i'm looking at all my options. Unfortunately there isn't much more that I can do that isn't going to be costly.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:17 AM
C6ZO6-2006
KaNDriZO6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by DBN

how much weight you save from oem ??

i got 9.2 in 1/4 with 60 1.5 want to lose weight car i want front all kits but scared to pay alots of $$$ after same weight
Old 03-07-2017, 08:09 AM
DBN
Drifting

Refer to my first post in this thread which is post #8.

Get notified of new replies

To TRZ Tubular Front Suspension

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TRZ Tubular Front Suspension