Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Englishtown Corvette Challenge where did everyone go?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 03:35 PM
ARCH
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Englishtown Corvette Challenge where did everyone go?

Was wondering where everybody went. Do they still have their Vettes? Still Race them? There doesn't appear to be a corvette challenge anymore. There were something like 90+ points racers when I was last there and most all have moved on?

This is Mike Archibald and I drove a blue 68. Car has been parked for years since I spun a bearing at my last race and had to get a tow home. I got a new engine a few years ago but with kid involved in multiple sports that is where most of my weekends have gone. Recently got a new convertible (not a vette), which has made me realize how much I miss the old car. So maybe I can find some motivation and some time to get the old girl back together this year.

So where is everyone and whats their story?
Old 03-02-2017, 07:03 PM
boogieman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ARCH
Was wondering where everybody went. Do they still have their Vettes? Still Race them? There doesn't appear to be a corvette challenge anymore. There were something like 90+ points racers when I was last there and most all have moved on?

This is Mike Archibald and I drove a blue 68. Car has been parked for years since I spun a bearing at my last race and had to get a tow home. I got a new engine a few years ago but with kid involved in multiple sports that is where most of my weekends have gone. Recently got a new convertible (not a vette), which has made me realize how much I miss the old car. So maybe I can find some motivation and some time to get the old girl back together this year.

So where is everyone and whats their story?
Hey Mike, the Corvette Challenge series is history.Raceway Park created a new class for a couple of years and called it The Modern Muscle / Corvette Challenge. This year I think it's just Modern Muscle, a class where it's all mixed I believe. As for the attendance? On most of the points days I think we are getting maybe 10 to 12 vettes. You're right some have moved on, some sold their cars, others race at Atco or Island. Others miss the Saturday racing where you could run in the morning then buy another tech card for the late sessions. This year I'll be out there with the c6...Mike make some time and come out to play.....
Old 03-02-2017, 08:01 PM
Ron Higgins
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Mike. I still have both cars. Both of my sons are not interested. Sundays so
Hard on many racers. Many guys have kids in sports. Like you. But the big one for me
Was the loss of J Pee. I tryed to race last year just couldn't get into it.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:03 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Mike, so many changes over the last few years.

The awesomeness of the CC will most certainly be missed, but there is still racing going on.

As mentioned, there is a modern muscle class at E Town.

The index races are running strong at Atco, Cecil, and Maple Grove. Seems that E Town hasn't had much interest in keeping these racers happy, so not much going on.

When racers drive past E Town to race at many other tracks.

I certainly hope you find your way back to the track!
Old 03-03-2017, 07:23 AM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 868 Likes on 433 Posts

No Saturdays did it for me...
No Friday nights either.

Last edited by YO-EL; 03-03-2017 at 07:23 AM.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:05 AM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

No Sat racing did me in at E-town. I was going to Island but they stopped having index racing. Starting going to Maple Grove and Atco for the final Oct index race. Isn't the same as the Challenge though!
Old 03-03-2017, 10:41 AM
ARCH
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I really enjoyed coming out to the track, the competition and hanging out with my old man all day. The two of us trying to figure out strategy and just winging it in the end and putting any old number on the window and go. We weren't the most talkative couple but those we met and spoke to at every race were great. Especially when things broke which they often did on that old car and everyone would help get her back in line.

Any one know if Ken Tyler and Pete still head down that way? Is the good Dr Peppler still running? The Fishers? Raplh? Is Farley a professional now? Didn't people drive from PA and DE to come race in those events? there were some dedicated competitors! And Edgar did a fantastic job, always had time for a question.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:12 PM
ralph
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Moving to Sundays made it near impossible for me to race for the points championship. Too hard to get home in the summer. I plan to hit a couple of races at Etown before the summer hits and then shift to Island......late start, Saturdays, no traffic.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:23 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

It's simple, nothing good last forever. I'm very proud of what we accomplished with the CC but times change the economy changed, Edgar moved to Florida, I moved to Tennessee but still the series maintained a core group of racers with Bob T and Rob holding things together doing a great job. We had a great group of sponsors that supported the series and made it self funding. To all the sponsors( I'm not going to list for fear of leaving someone out) thank you for all your support. The CC had a 15+ year run and we were lucky to have such a great group of dedicated racers.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:38 PM
Turbo Bob
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Corvette Challenge Champ-01
Dragster Challenge Champ-06

Originally Posted by mackeyred96
It's simple, nothing good last forever. I'm very proud of what we accomplished with the CC but times change the economy changed, Edgar moved to Florida, I moved to Tennessee but still the series maintained a core group of racers with Bob T and Rob holding things together doing a great job. We had a great group of sponsors that supported the series and made it self funding. To all the sponsors( I'm not going to list for fear of leaving someone out) thank you for all your support. The CC had a 15+ year run and we were lucky to have such a great group of dedicated racers.
Well said John.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:47 PM
Turbo Bob
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Corvette Challenge Champ-01
Dragster Challenge Champ-06

I'm still racing Mike. Saturday at Island and Sunday at Etown Street ET and Modern Muscle/Corvette Challenge.
The following users liked this post:
mackeyred96 (03-03-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 07:33 PM
Eric Fischer
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

No Saturdays and no Friday nights killed it for me too, but I actually did race a few Sundays last year and it was a lot of fun! I will do a few Sundays this year too in MM and index racing.

Unfortunately my dad passed away.

But on the flip side. Maybe we can talk e-town into a re-union.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:02 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by Eric Fischer
No Saturdays and no Friday nights killed it for me too, but I actually did race a few Sundays last year and it was a lot of fun! I will do a few Sundays this year too in MM and index racing.

Unfortunately my dad passed away.

But on the flip side. Maybe we can talk e-town into a re-union.
Eric, your dad was a great man and a good racer! I could really tell he enjoyed his time racing with you. As for a reunion, I had thought about it but don't feel there would be enough interest to make it worthwhile. Unless we did at the old Corvette Show and Go event or whatever they call it now!
Old 03-06-2017, 07:06 PM
DRIVER456
Melting Slicks

Location: NY- 2013 Corvette Challenge Champion-2013 Index Combo Champion 2015 CC/MM Champion
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by ARCH
I really enjoyed coming out to the track, the competition and hanging out with my old man all day. The two of us trying to figure out strategy and just winging it in the end and putting any old number on the window and go. We weren't the most talkative couple but those we met and spoke to at every race were great. Especially when things broke which they often did on that old car and everyone would help get her back in line.

Any one know if Ken Tyler and Pete still head down that way? Is the good Dr Peppler still running? The Fishers? Raplh? Is Farley a professional now? Didn't people drive from PA and DE to come race in those events? there were some dedicated competitors! And Edgar did a fantastic job, always had time for a question.
Hey Mike,Yes Pete still races and kenny rides down with him,Kenny doesn't race any more though.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:08 PM
DRIVER456
Melting Slicks

Location: NY- 2013 Corvette Challenge Champion-2013 Index Combo Champion 2015 CC/MM Champion
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Ron Higgins
Hey Mike. I still have both cars. Both of my sons are not interested. Sundays so
Hard on many racers. Many guys have kids in sports. Like you. But the big one for me
Ronnie!!!!!! Eveybody asks for you or where are you in are little group at the track
Old 03-06-2017, 09:36 PM
Tsab
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Higgins

We lost a lot of good guys ( JP, Mike Conway, Marshall Brown, Leo Barnaby) and it just isn't the same anymore. The schedule change didn't help either. A lot of guys sold their cars or just aren't that interested anymore. The economy tanking in 2009 didn't help either. But, the Challenge had pretty good run for about 12 years or so.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:10 PM
Eric Fischer
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DRIVER456
Ronnie!!!!!! Eveybody asks for you or where are you in are little group at the track
Yeah, Ron. You need to come with us on Sunday's. [Yes, I said us, even though I have only been to two Sunday's ]

Get notified of new replies

To Englishtown Corvette Challenge where did everyone go?

Old 03-09-2017, 08:03 PM
DRIVER456
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Eric Fischer
Yeah, Ron. You need to come with us on Sunday's. [Yes, I said us, even though I have only been to two Sunday's ]
Old 03-11-2017, 06:50 PM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

I stopped when the schedule changed but I also have young kids that expect me around on weekends. I do plan on trying out MM on Sunday this year. I'll see how that goes...
Old 04-05-2017, 11:35 PM
meinersk
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

One race for me Englishtown and thrown out lol...Atco for me

Quick Reply: Englishtown Corvette Challenge where did everyone go?