Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Anyone ever melt an Optispark

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 10:56 PM
ralph
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Anyone ever melt an Optispark

Chris and i were heading up to leb valley last weekend when his car just died on the highway about 10 miles from home. We got it towed back and started checking things out. He had fuel pressure, and the injectors were firing ( but weak) and we were getting spark ( but weak) & compression, yet it wouldn't even backfire. We installed and new coil to no avail. We gave up and had it towed to a local shop. The guy's computer tells him the ECM is shot. He replaces it and still it wont start. He finally ran out of other alternatives and replaced the optispark and bamm, it runs. turns out the bearing in the opti went bad and heated up until the rotor melted and went about 70 deg out of phase. So we were getting spark, only not at the right time. Turns out the computer was a pre-existing condition giving the injectors a weak pulse, but it would still run. The week before, his tranny went and now his starter is going bad. I think he needs an exorcist. Maybe he and Dennis can get a group rate.
Old 05-23-2003, 06:27 AM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Anyone ever melt an Optispark (ralph)

I've never heard of that :confused:
Old 05-23-2003, 08:08 AM
QuickVet
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Anyone ever melt an Optispark (mackeyred96)

watch him run like a second faster now :lol:
Old 05-23-2003, 11:39 AM
INSANITY
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Anyone ever melt an Optispark (mackeyred96)

Only me John!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone ever melt an Optispark

Quick Reply: Anyone ever melt an Optispark