Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

cost to balance & blueprint

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2001, 10:48 AM
sray454
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default cost to balance & blueprint

1. What is a resonable cost to have a 454 balanced and blueprinted ?
2. Is it worth it ?
Old 10-12-2001, 02:50 PM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: cost to balance & blueprint (sray454)

The cost can vary. I would guess that an avg price to ballance a motor is 120 to 150. I recommend ballancing any motor.

Blueprinting a motor is kind of a "catch all" phase from a long time ago. Back before the surge of aftermarket race ready componets, an engine builder needed to modify all of the factory componets. There is a great deal of blueprinting you could do to any engine.
The main goal in blueprinting a motor is to achive maximum efficency of the engine given it's operating range, and to have every cylinder making the same amount of power.
A good example of this would be Monty's motor. The engine he has is well planned [blueprinted] including the hand fabricated intake.
The labor involved is extensive however. Their is a lot of trial & error & a great deal of money involved.

If you want to blueprint your motor, there is an excellent book on big block Chevy's that gives you all the proven ingredents you need. I'll try to find it & post the title.
Good luck.

[Modified by 71coupe, 10:50 AM 10/12/2001]
Old 10-12-2001, 05:30 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Default Re: cost to balance & blueprint (71coupe)

I'd call around. My last small block for a over bore with TQ plates and blue printing which consisted of perfect axises for the cylinders, crank, and cam bores. All the block threaded holes were align tapped (which is a must for studded motors) of course freeze plugs and cam bearings was $500 for a SBC I got the Crank/rods/pistons as a balanced set.

Different rings require specific honing.
Old 10-13-2001, 12:40 PM
ET
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: cost to balance & blueprint (sray454)

Depends on the definition of Blueprinting.Pick up a copy of "Engine Blueprinting"by Rick Voegelin.You will have to determine the "degree" of perfection you will accept,as well as what will or will not be allowed within your racing class(if you race within a sanctioned racing organization).

Get notified of new replies

To cost to balance & blueprint

Quick Reply: cost to balance & blueprint