Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Mini-Starter wiring in 67 Vet

Old 11-20-2001, 05:52 PM
VG
Virtual George

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Navy

Default Mini-Starter wiring in 67 Vet

I am having starter problems in my 1967 327 vet. I bought one of the new mini-starters, but the starter has less connections. Anyone know how to wire one of these in a 67?

VG
Old 11-24-2001, 01:43 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,873 Likes on 911 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Re: Mini-Starter wiring in 67 Vet (VG)

The "extra" wire on the solenoid... the smallest one. It runs to the positive side of the coil to provide 12 volts during cranking. The resistor on the firewall knocks you down to 9 volts or so during normal running. When you turn the key to "start" the purple wire energizes the solenoid which closes a contact on the solenoid to feed a full 12 volts directly back to the coil. When you let off the key it reverts to an open circuit on that leg, but the coil is still recieving the 9 volts from the ignition switch/resistor to contnue running.

Since cars have been running electronic ignition for the last 25 years or so, there isn't much need for solenoids that can still provide this feature for cars with points. Electronic ignition runs on 12 volts all the time.

So the question is do you still have stock ignition, or have you converted it to a Pertronix or something like that? Maybe an MSD? If you have then it's no problem.

If you still have points and you were to just go ahead and install it but just leaving the "small" wire unhooked and taped back into the harness, it will probably work fine. It's been donethousands of times. The only thing you have lost is the little extra boost of firepower when cranking. 99.9% of the time it's no big deal. Remember they had to engineer these dudes to crank in 10 below weather too. I doubt you're driving it like that.

If you really want to make sure you keep this feature, you could wire in a relay to provide the extra voltage when cranking. It will require a relay. You can't just run a 12 volt wire from the "start" side of the ign. switch since you would still have the "9" volts trying to feed back to the switch when you let off. It would try to keep starter engaged.

A regular 'ole Bosch 5 pin relay would work. It's available at any parts store. If you need more info let me know.

Jim
Old 11-26-2001, 10:51 AM
VG
Virtual George

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Navy

Default Re: Mini-Starter wiring in 67 Vet (VG)

Thanks for replying Jim.
That is what I thought it was for. I do have a MSD distribritor and I have taken out the resistor. I will follow your suggestions.
Thanks again,
VG

Get notified of new replies

To Mini-Starter wiring in 67 Vet

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mini-Starter wiring in 67 Vet