Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Newbie Needs advice...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 07:29 PM
Andrew-NY
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Needs advice...

I just purchased a Callaway C6 with the Supernatural 490 package, so the car now has 490HP. I want to take this car to the next level and make it a true beast.

I spoke to Callaway and they're recommending a 'Maggie' supercharger for $11,000, which will include everything including the needed new hood. The guy I spoke with told me that my car will have about 620hp to the crank, which is only a 130hp gain. This doesn't seem like a lot more power for $11,000.

I then called Ramp Chevrolet. The guy told me the better option is the 'Procharger' which will result in a 50% more increase in power, which will bring my car to about 735hp. I don't have to change my hood and the cost is $8800, which includes the install and dyno tuning the car.

I just want to make sure that I make the right decision. The 735hp sound great, but will my car be manageable with that much power? The 620hp maggie sounds more driveable, but for $11,000? What option would be better? I do want monster power, but reliable too.

The car has these mods right now:

.Callaway Honker C6 air induction system
.Stainless steel headers
.Stainless exhaust
.Double D tail pipes
.CNC ported cylinder heads
.Hydraulic roller cam shaft
.High volume intake manifold
.Sleeved ignition wires
.Short throw shifter with billet ****
.Callaway injector covers

Last edited by Andrew-NY; 05-05-2008 at 08:03 PM. Reason: forgot info
Old 05-08-2008, 07:22 AM
mr.beachcomber
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Go With The Engineered Approach

If I were contemplating either of these upgrades, I would gravitate towards the engineering approach suggested by Callaway. Afterfall, they designed and engineered their C6. Upgraded the parts prone to failure and considered the entire vehicle in the conversion, not just the supercharger addition.

Ramp Chevrolet on the other hand is strictly adding a part and then dyno tuning the engine's computer for peak HP (and driveability hopefully). However, if your new found 735 HP happens to snap any of your drivetrain components in two some where down the line after several full power runs, guess who's going to have to pony up the money to repair or replace the items?

Just my thoughts. YMMV.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:44 PM
C-4 Now
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't understand why you would go from a totally engineered car to adding a few items thar may or may not work!! If you want reliable power stick to the well known tuners. Callaway, Lingenfelter,Katech and others!
Old 05-14-2008, 08:39 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 476 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

You're asking if the car will be manageable with 700+ hp. Do you have more driving ability than the car right now at 490 HP?

I think that mr. beachcomber is giving you the right advice

Remember that the money doesn't just bring HP, if it's spent wisely it also brings reliability along with it.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:20 PM
Andrew-NY
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you!!! I appreciate the advice!!

Get notified of new replies

To Newbie Needs advice...

Quick Reply: Newbie Needs advice...