Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

WTB: Hardened Woodruff key

Old 11-20-2008, 04:54 PM
wheelsup
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default WTB: Hardened Woodruff key

Looking for hardened Woodruff keys. size 3/16"x3/4". These are for the SBC crankshaft to harmonic balancer.

Last edited by wheelsup; 11-20-2008 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:42 AM
BLOCKMAN
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wheelsup
Looking for hardened Woodruff keys. size 3/16"x3/4". These are for the SBC crankshaft to harmonic balancer.
Those keys on a small block chevy are just for alignment and the timing gear and balancer are a interfearance fit and should not be using the keys to keep them in place.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:01 AM
wheelsup
Melting Slicks

Blockman, that makes no sense to me. Please explain yourself. This is a race application and I'm running a aftermarket damper.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:32 AM
PDQUIK95
Burning Brakes

Location: Portsmouth Virginia 396LT4 435RWHP/400RWTQ Best so far 11.26 @ 123mph
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Phil,
I think the point he's trying to make is that if you have the required press fit on the damper and crank gear,the key is really only there for hub alignment purposes. Remember, late Lt1 engines came with no actual hub key from the factory, only a short key for the crank gear alignment! A special hardened key shouldn't be necessary in lieu of a standard key. Blockman, if I misspoke,please correct me.
thanks,
Rick
Old 11-21-2008, 10:06 AM
wheelsup
Melting Slicks

Pdquik95, in theory what you are saying is correct. But, in the world of race engines you sometimes need more than a press fit. Many engine builders highly recommend using a hardened key. I have already had an issue with using soft woodruff keys.
Thanks for your input.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:35 PM
BLOCKMAN
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wheelsup
Pdquik95, in theory what you are saying is correct. But, in the world of race engines you sometimes need more than a press fit. Many engine builders highly recommend using a hardened key. I have already had an issue with using soft woodruff keys.
Thanks for your input.

95% of the engines we build are high performance circle track engines and a few street and strip and no harden keys the ONLY engines we use harden keys in is the blower engines we build as those cranks are doubled keyed and do depend some times depend on a key to keep the hub from spinning.

If you had an issue with using soft woodruff then something was not fit right in the begining.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:54 PM
wheelsup
Melting Slicks

Blockman, thanks for your opinion. But, I'm still going to use a hardened key that was recommended by someone I know and respect their advice. No dis intended.....ok?
It's very possible that something else initially cause the key to fail.
The aftermarket crank has a wimpy keyway slot. IMO, it should have a long keyway slot.
Question: Have you ever seen the keys used on a Olds or Pontiac? They are huge. Wonder why they did that? hmmmmmm?

Get notified of new replies

To WTB: Hardened Woodruff key

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WTB: Hardened Woodruff key