Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Anyone use copper head gaskets on a street car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2002, 08:39 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Anyone use copper head gaskets on a street car?

I was looking through a milodon catalog, there is some re-usable copper heads gaskets they sell, they even mentioned it could be used on STREET cars.

Is this really a good idea for a street car?
They looked to be about 100 bucks.
Old 02-20-2002, 10:12 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Default Re: Anyone use copper head gaskets on a street car? (bill mcdonald)

I ran the .030 copper without a problem and reused them between head changes. The CF gave me a negative vote though. I always kept a good ratio of antifreeze to distilled water ratio. They never corroded or leaked on me. Some guys said that they were a racing only deal because of the expansion differences. I just used Permatex red spray on the block side so they never came off when I'd pop a head.
Old 02-20-2002, 11:33 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used copper head gaskets on the street as well. My new twin turbo motor is going to use copper gaskets. We're working on a new technique that eliminates the need to use silicone around the water jackets. A guy who used to make custom stickers is working on a new product that is basically a high temp, non stick silicone stocker that is precut for the bores, bolt holes, water jackets etc. You apply it to each side of the copper gasket - it's basically the same material on regular composite gaskets.

They've been testing it on NMCA/NSCA cars for a couple of seasons, and we're gonna try it out on a street car.
Old 02-20-2002, 11:59 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Anyone use copper head gaskets on a street car? (Monty)

Monty, are you going to O-ring your block as well?

gkull, how many miles have you put on a set of copper head gaskets?

Old 02-21-2002, 11:30 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My block is o ringed so I didn't have a choice. I think they weep a bit. If I had my choice I would not run them on the street.
Old 02-21-2002, 11:33 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Bill that's a tough question. 3-4 years and I might average nearly 8 thousand a year. I know that I put them on when I all I did a head change to 2.055/1.60 valves.

I would have used them again on my 383 but I needed thicker gaskets to get more quench clearance. I think that they were .030 thick SCE from Summit.
Old 02-21-2002, 12:01 PM
70PurpleLS7
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Anyone use copper head gaskets on a street car? (gkull)

I have them in two motors... the 512ci (drag) has the .060 gaskets, and the LS7 (street) motor has the .030, neither motor had water problems, except for seeping thru the studs which cured itself. The only thing I was told was to put a thin coat of paint on them.
Old 02-22-2002, 11:03 AM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was planning on o-ringing the block, but now I'm not as sure, still haven't decided for sure yet. Since I'm using the FAST/SpeedPro SEFI with wide-band O2 and individual cylinder fuel and timing control, as well as an overkill fuel system, I should be able to safely run 20psi of boost on good gas if I need to. If I were to run more boost than that, I almost certainly would, but that level of boost is within the range of a properly prepped copper gasket. I guess I'd rather blow a head gasket than hurt a piston if/when something goes wrong.
Old 02-25-2002, 11:35 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Default Re: Anyone use copper head gaskets on a street car? (Monty)

head gaskets make a good "fuse", but much over 20 psi I would recommend o-rings due to extreme cyl pressure and likelihood of
a bit of detonation. don't run pump gas much over 15 unless you have a nice alum head and dished pistons. typical small block heads don't have much tolerance and good gas is cheap insurance when you are talking about a 20K twin turbo deal. the turbo buick guys now run "loc wire" which machines the groove into the head instead of the block.

mike moran runs really interesting rings around the pistons that heat up and seal. when the engine is cold, it leaks compression but once hot, it won't blow a HG.

after changing enough HG, I went to the loc wires and haven't had a problem since. :D
Old 02-26-2002, 01:16 AM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Anyone use copper head gaskets on a street car? (Rkreigh)

head gaskets make a good "fuse", but much over 20 psi I would recommend o-rings due to extreme cyl pressure and likelihood of
a bit of detonation. don't run pump gas much over 15 unless you have a nice alum head and dished pistons. typical small block heads don't have much tolerance and good gas is cheap insurance when you are talking about a 20K twin turbo deal. the turbo buick guys now run "loc wire" which machines the groove into the head instead of the block.

after changing enough HG, I went to the loc wires and haven't had a problem since. :D
Do you have any pics of this type of set up?
I have never seen an O ringed block (or a picture), when you O ring a block, Are the heads untouched?
if yes, then your saying I can have my heads O ringed instead, and leave the block in the car untouched?
Old 02-27-2002, 02:07 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

sorry, no pics, but yes, the buick and rustang guys have been running o ring felpro gaskets. a special tool is used to oring the heads and the ring is part of the head gasket and it helps.

cooper can be a bit tough to seal up on the street with large temp variances due to the heads moving around and expansion.

the oring felpro gaskets are pretty durable and easier to get to seal up IMHO.

Old 02-28-2002, 02:30 PM
WashingtonRacer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my heads O-ringed, simple little 120 dollar process. I had to buy the wire, and just press it into the groove.
Old 02-28-2002, 03:57 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I machined a .040 grove .032 deep around each piston on the deck myself then bought .040 stainless wire from summit racing. You have to carefully cut the piece and gently tap it into the groove making sure the ends but into each other but to no overlap or leave a gap. The stainless wire prodrudes above the deck by '008 cutting into the copper gasket forming a seal. With a 8 to compression and 12 lbs of boost you are exceeding 15 to 1 effect compression and should o ring.
Old 03-01-2002, 08:54 PM
LPDesRoche
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: Anyone use copper head gaskets on a street car? (norvalwilhelm)

For what its worth I ran the Fel-pro loc-wire head gaskets on a 92 Supercharged mustang. They did work, but I had to over torq the heads like a champ to get them to seal. I have had friends that had the same problems with them as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone use copper head gaskets on a street car?

Quick Reply: Anyone use copper head gaskets on a street car?