Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Building an LSX... Need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 03:57 PM
clif
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Default Building an LSX... Need help

I am building a new LSX engine, piece by piece. I currently have a new LSX block from GM. I've ordered a Callies DragonSlayer, forged steel, crank, with Callies I-Beam Pr rods, Diamond Forged pistons with coated tops and skirts, AP rings, coated Main and Rod bearings, Cloyes Timing set upgraded to double helix, ARP Custom Head Studs, and Main Studs. Melling HP HV Oil Pump, and a few other parts. The bore will be 4.185. The stroke will be 4.125; for a 454 cubic inch beast.

I have a friend that owns a high-end machine shop, with 7-axis automated lathes, down to the manual lathe. They have many machines.

My question is, do you think a shop like this can machine my block successfully? They have asked for clearances and tolerances. Is this information available?
Old 10-01-2010, 04:59 PM
chevy406
Tech Contributor

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

I would contact Diamond and ask them about the cylinder-to-piston clearance and cylinder hone finish. Deck height depends on your piston-to-valve clearance (if running a lot of duration) and what compression you are shooting for. They should probably just hit the deck enough to true it. Have then install the main studs and then align hone the crank bore. I also like to open up the oil drain back holes and smooth out any casting flash inside the block. You didn't mention if this will be boosted. If it is getting a lot of boost you should o-ring it too.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:05 PM
clif
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Yes, for now, I will use my ProCharger P1SC1-2. I may only make 7 PSI of boost. Next year, I will upgrade to a huge blower, to get around 20 PSI.

Thanks for the info so far. Eveyone, please send all you can for me!

Get notified of new replies

To Building an LSX... Need help

Quick Reply: Building an LSX... Need help