Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

What work CAN'T be done on Jack Stands??

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 07:22 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Default What work CAN'T be done on Jack Stands??

Is a lift an absolute necessary or more of 'just a nice thing to have'? What are the most difficult jobs to be done on jack stands?
Old 04-06-2010, 11:25 PM
JLMICCA
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Ok, I'll bite on this one. You can't store a car on jack stands. Seriously, I've owned a lift for >10 years and can't count the times that it saved my butt. For example, I had a new differential installed in my '68 Firebird convertible by a "professional shop". About two weeks after receiving the car back, the rear end broke loose on one side and the car was attached only by the Right rear shock! (Turns out the "professional shop" used non grade 8 hardware that sheared!) Long story short, I was able to single handedly put all back together with my lift and a bottle jack. Simply stated, most repairs become easier, definitely safer and less dependent on outside "help". As a bonus, I get to increase my collection due to the extra storage space afforded by the four post drive on lift. All in all, since you own it for life, and it lasts forever, consider it a small investment. I've moved my lift 3 times (marriage will do that for ya) and have never considered going without one again.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:58 PM
aweil
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have done basically everything in my garage on jackstands.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:17 PM
bmr1065
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lift is my dream, garage extension with a drive on raised platform...
Maybe someday...LOL

Right now everything on jackstands....pain in the a** but works...
Old 05-19-2010, 05:48 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Depends on the car, in terms of where you can safely place stands so they won't slide out. In other words, under front A-arms, which tend to be at an angle, won't securely hold a car. Yes, in that instance they might be safer than a jack alone, but they're liable to slide. Likewise at the front side of the frame on a 63-82 'Vette, as the frame angles up at this point.

Under a solid rear axle, when the stand has a "cup shape", they're the nuts, or under a completely flat frame section, same deal....
Old 06-12-2010, 02:07 PM
w1ctc
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can't do a lift and jack stands are a pain there is an alternative.
Reverse direction and dig a grease pit.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:56 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by aweil
I have done basically everything in my garage on jackstands.
this. there is nothing that can't be done with a set of cheapo jack stands from walmart. Nothing. NOTHING.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:36 PM
stix818
Advanced

A lift is on the wish list but like mentioned above, I can't picture anything that can't be done on Jack stands. Actually getting ready to put my C1 on some stands to rip out the front end..
Old 08-24-2010, 10:58 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

A Kwik Lift is a cheaper and space friendly alternative to a 4 post. You can do almost everything but a clutch job on a C5 is actually easier on jack stands.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:06 PM
filmjay
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10

I was a couple weeks away from buying my first lift. Then my trans popped. So I gotta use my lift $$$ for a new trans, and will swap it in my gravel driveway on jackstands.

Anything CAN be done on jackstands. But some jobs would be FAR easier and with less chance of injury with a lift.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:22 PM
DonF
Drifting

All of my life on jack stands, I got a 2 post lift a few years ago and now I am spolied. With out it I would still be doing all on jack stands.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:39 AM
spanks
4th Gear

All my life on jack stands too.......would love a hoist,and spending 20 years at work with one,makes that lust even greater.

But am limited on garage roof height......
Old 09-13-2010, 08:02 PM
57AIRBOX
Instructor

Those lift guys sure are lucky. Charley
Old 10-21-2010, 02:26 PM
Bill Wilhelm
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I'll tell you this....the older you get the less you can do on jackstands. Bill
Old 10-22-2010, 08:18 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bill Wilhelm
I'll tell you this....the older you get the less you can do on jackstands. Bill
I think I'm there.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:04 PM
bdhulderman
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I've restored my whole corvette on jack stands, including welding in a Heidt's rear end assembly. Yeah, I caught my hair on fire and got electricuted once, but overall I'm kind of used to it.

Brandt
Old 12-08-2010, 12:18 PM
CamminC5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18

I don't have a garage yet. So all my work is done on jackstands supported by concrete pavers in the grass. I have thick rubber mats to lay on and built a rig out of 2x4"s to serve as extenions to put the front end on rhino ramps and support a floor jack.

Get notified of new replies

To What work CAN'T be done on Jack Stands??

Old 12-18-2010, 10:37 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bdhulderman
I've restored my whole corvette on jack stands, including welding in a Heidt's rear end assembly. Yeah, I caught my hair on fire and got electricuted once, but overall I'm kind of used to it.

Brandt
That's funny. I got one for you; I had barely gotten clearance on the stands to reach the oil drain plug on the creeper and the casters were getting hung up on the cardboard that was laid down several days before. I tried to move it while under the car and just as I raised the corner of it a little bit I caught the image of a snake! ZOOM - I shot out from under the car and don't know how I kept from hanging up on anything but I sure cleared the car. It ended up to be just a garter snake.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:38 PM
bdhulderman
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by southern_son
That's funny. I got one for you; I had barely gotten clearance on the stands to reach the oil drain plug on the creeper and the casters were getting hung up on the cardboard that was laid down several days before. I tried to move it while under the car and just as I raised the corner of it a little bit I caught the image of a snake! ZOOM - I shot out from under the car and don't know how I kept from hanging up on anything but I sure cleared the car. It ended up to be just a garter snake.
That is funny! I'll tell you another incident relating to jack stand ground work. We got this military macaw from our relatives that they couldn't keep. This bird really hated me, and would bite my butt every time I backed up into the cage in the garage. Well, I was under the car putting in the 5-speed tranny, and right when I was lifting the monster in, the bird let out a blood-curdling scream and I about crapped my pants.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:40 PM
EyeMaster
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A lift will save your health and make all jobs just a little easier. If you suffer from back pain, using jack stands won't help you, but a lift will let you work more comfortably. Consider the space you get as well. With a lift, you have a wider view of everything.

Yes, you can do everything on jack stands, but a lift makes everything easier.

Quick Reply: What work CAN'T be done on Jack Stands??