Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

changing from stock engine to this, will it be driveable?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 10:55 PM
azmusclecar
Safety Car

Received 195 Likes on 126 Posts

Default changing from stock engine to this, will it be driveable?

I have a 1964 bone stock coupe with it's 327-300 horse engine.

My car is numbers matching.

The engine needs some work, it's burning a lot of oil, heads need redone, compression is down but is balanced and I don't want to have the entire engine gone through now.

I want to pull the engine and place it on a stand for the next owner.

I've found the following engine:

Small block Chevrolet 327 with casting #3959512 made between 1962-63. Its bored 60 over still very fresh the cylinders stull have hash marks and is very clean. the cam is a comp 274h lopey hot rod sound . The heads are 1961-70 double hump with 202x16 big Valves ( FUELY 202'S) ? Edelbrock intake , brand new pace setter shorty headers , and vintage finned valve covers ,starter, fuel pump, distributer with MSD wires ,oil pan and flex plate.

I was wondering if this engine would be a good candidate for a swap, with my car having 3.08 gears, close ratio muncie.

I have researched the cam in this engine and wonder if I will need to remove it to work with my gearing. I am not a drag racer. I do not take my engines to rpms above 5500. I do not abuse my cars or equipment. I cruise and make spirited runs on to the freeway. That's the limit to my danger because I have a CDL and cannot afford to lose it.

My question is: Will this engine work with this cam and my drive train or will I need a lower 268 cam since I will need more torque in the lower rpms ?????????

Thank you,
'AZ
Old 11-02-2013, 08:18 AM
mr.beachcomber
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

It would help if you knew the exact cam number in the engine as well as the static (nominal) compression ratio of the engine. My guess is that you'll need 91+ octane fuel for this engine because of the extreme overbore. Just based on what you've stated so far, you're not going to enjoy driving this engine on the street with a close ratio Muncie and 3.08 gears as you'll need to stay in the upper RPM's for torque.

I'm also leery about the .060 overbore. That was pretty much the limit for 283's and very early 327's blocks back in the day. Since you're not racing the engine, it may last forever; however, like you said, it's a fresh overbore and not completely broken in yet.

For my money, I'd rebuild the 327-300 engine that you have in the vehicle already and replace the 3896929 GM cam with Comp Cams Nostalgia Plus N+300HP (part# 12-670-4) regrind which has more power and improved throttle response.

Just my thoughts on the matter. YMMV.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:18 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

60 over might run on the warm side, do heads have hardened valve seats? You need them redone for unleaded fuel. The 1.94 1.50 heads would be better for a cruiser. I guessing this is a 4 speed car.

Get notified of new replies

To changing from stock engine to this, will it be driveable?

Quick Reply: changing from stock engine to this, will it be driveable?