Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Long Shifter install 67 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 07:25 PM
stevebarker
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long Shifter install 67 Corvette

Hello everyone,

I am new to the site and am trying to get some help installing a Long shifter in a stock 67 Corvette with a Muncie M22 transmission.

The shifter is too far forward to fit in the stock console.

If I move the shifter back, then the rods are too short.

So, now what? Has anybody done this before?

Thanks for the help.

Barker
Tacoma, WA
Old 07-29-2014, 09:06 AM
mr.beachcomber
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I know that you have waited a long time for a response; however, the best advice I can give you is give up on the long shifter and switch to a Hurst Super Shifter. The super shifter advantages are that it's a narrow gate shifter that installs at near stock height in the stock location on your M22 transmission.

From what you've described, you would have to fabricate a transmission mount, cut the fiberglass transmission tunnel, and fabricate a new transmission tunnel console plate if you install it "forward". Even if you were able to make these changes, will you have enough room to make the 1st and 3rd shifts w/o banging into the center console?

Additionally, you said that if you move the long shifter "back" (to the stock mounting location ?), your shift rods are too short. Are these the stock shift rods you/re talking about? If so, you can fabricate your own set of shift rods/shift rod extensions. The local circle track guys do it all the time, but it's time consuming unless you have a local shop that specializes in this type of modification.

Regardless of which way you go, good luck with your installation!

Quick Reply: Long Shifter install 67 Corvette