Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

l88 cam install?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 09:10 PM
20round
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
Default l88 cam install?

HEY GUYS, im installing the first design l88 #3925535 in my motor. i always degree my cams in, but my card does not have a install intake center line.. i went on line and "googled it" LOL.. and everything i have read says its ground on a 112 cl so i installed it at that. but before i button it up i thought i would ask you all first? any feed back with performance on this cam? let me know your thoughts?!
Old 12-04-2014, 08:07 PM
20round
Drifting

Originally Posted by 20round
hey guys, im installing the first design l88 #3925535 in my motor. I always degree my cams in, but my card does not have a install intake center line.. I went on line and "googled it" lol.. And everything i have read says its ground on a 112 cl so i installed it at that. But before i button it up i thought i would ask you all first? Any feed back with performance on this cam? Let me know your thoughts?!
come on guys !! No thoughts? Has anyone ran this cam? Did you put it in the motor straight up? Or degree it?
Old 12-04-2014, 09:14 PM
mr.beachcomber
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I'd go ahead and degree the cam to find the actual intake lobe's centerline per Comp Cams instructions and
and use that figure for installation. If you just install the cam assuming that the intake lobe's centerline is 112 degrees and this post is correct that it is 117 degrees (actually 116.5 degrees per the data provided), you've just installed the cam advanced 5 degrees.

I've built a L-88 reproduction engine in the past and can vouch that you need high compression pistons, racing gas, 3.70 gears (or higher), and be willing to put up with a soggy bottom end. Definitely a race-oriented cam not meant for street driving. However, YMMV.

Good luck with your L-88 can installation.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:41 PM
20round
Drifting

Originally Posted by mr.beachcomber
I'd go ahead and degree the cam to find the actual intake lobe's centerline per Comp Cams instructions and video and use that figure for installation. If you just install the cam assuming that the intake lobe's centerline is 112 degrees and this post is correct that it is 117 degrees (actually 116.5 degrees per the data provided), you've just installed the cam advanced 5 degrees.

I've built a L-88 reproduction engine in the past and can vouch that you need high compression pistons, racing gas, 3.70 gears (or higher), and be willing to put up with a soggy bottom end. Definitely a race-oriented cam not meant for street driving. However, YMMV.

Good luck with your L-88 can installation.
thank you, there we go....just looking for some feed back. i do not mind the crappy bottom end, my car is a 4.10 geared car. and its a 12.1 comp i bumped it up..i will go back through and run my numbers again doing it to there specs and see what it reads..thanks
Old 12-07-2014, 11:26 AM
20round
Drifting

thank you, there we go....just looking for some feed back. i do not mind the crappy bottom end, my car is a 4.10 geared car. and its a 12.1 comp i bumped it up..i will go back through and run my numbers again doing it to there specs and see what it reads..thanks
thanks guys, i talked to CRANE about the cam card not having a "center line install figure" and they said they prefer to stick to the .050 before max open and .050 before fully closed numbers of the intake valve.takes all guess work out of it.. the open and closing side of the ramps are not the same...so center line installs are decieving..any way it went in perfect, and it is a good thing i used a comp cams hex-a-just gear set. i needed it..
Old 12-11-2014, 07:28 AM
mr.beachcomber
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

thanks guys, i talked to CRANE about the cam card not having a "center line install figure" and they said they prefer to stick to the .050 before max open and .050 before fully closed numbers of the intake valve.takes all guess work out of it.. the open and closing side of the ramps are not the same...so center line installs are decieving..any way it went in perfect, and it is a good thing i used a comp cams hex-a-just gear set. i needed it..
Interesting! Thanks for the feedback.

Get notified of new replies

To l88 cam install?

Quick Reply: l88 cam install?