Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Need some help MASFLOEFI

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 07:15 PM
yogiboobuck
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mr.beachcomber
Actually, there are two items that need to be verified:

1) What is the current fuel rail/regulator pressure with the vacuum port disconnected? This should be 40 psi according to the info from MassFlow EFI. (BTW, since your injectors are rated at 37 LB/HR at 43.5 psi, they will flow roughly 35.45 LB/HR at 40 psi which is closer to the calculated 34.57 LB/HR needed for 440 HP.)
The Regulator was set to 40lbs w/ vacuum disconnected initially
2) Does the vacuum port work by lowing the fuel rail/regulator pressure when the engine is running. Need to check two things - ensure the port receives an engine vacuum signal at idle and that the vacuum signal is strong enough to allow the regulator to reduce the fuel pressure below 40 psi.
Vacuum is at 15lbs at idle
I think that item #2 is the critical pass/fail item. You can always reset the fuel pressure to a lower than recommended 40 psi to get the engine at least running; however, to have a streetable ride, the vacuum compensator must be working properly. I would trace the source of the engine vacuum to make sure the vacuum reading that you see at the source is the same that you see at the regulator.

Again, over the years I've seen all sorts of problems come into the shop from split hoses to check-valves installed backwards. Perhaps the most common mistake I've seen on carburetored Vettes is using ported vacuum (above the throttle blades) used instead of engine vacuum (below the throttle blades). Good luck!
All hoses are new and checked. The vacuum port I am using is the port shown on the Massflo set up.
At 40lbs regulator pressure the engine will barely stay running. I person cannot physically stay in the garage very long due to the extremly rich exhaust fumes, that is with the garage door open and a fan blowing out. Fuel consumption has been approx. 6 gallons with only a couple miles driven around the block.
I checked the pressure pre rail and found something odd, I think. I started engine with the regulator open, zero on both gauges. I increased the regulator pressure to approx. 15 lbs, the rail pressure started to increase slowly until it maxed out at about 30 lbs. Engine RPM was between 1000 to 2000rpm. Shouldn't this gauge have read 15lbs same as regulator?
Old 03-22-2015, 09:18 PM
mr.beachcomber
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by yogiboobuck
All hoses are new and checked. The vacuum port I am using is the port shown on the Massflo set up.
At 40lbs regulator pressure the engine will barely stay running. I person cannot physically stay in the garage very long due to the extremly rich exhaust fumes, that is with the garage door open and a fan blowing out. Fuel consumption has been approx. 6 gallons with only a couple miles driven around the block.

The 40 psi figure is for WOT operation only, i.e., zero engine vacuum. That's why the engine is running so rich when the fuel pressure regulator is set to this value with the vacuum compensator port disconnected. Once this value has been set, reconnect the vacuum compensator port and the fuel pressure should drop immediately ending the super-rich condition.
I checked the pressure pre rail and found something odd, I think. I started engine with the regulator open, zero on both gauges. I increased the regulator pressure to approx. 15 lbs, the rail pressure started to increase slowly until it maxed out at about 30 lbs. Engine RPM was between 1000 to 2000rpm. Shouldn't this gauge have read 15lbs same as regulator?
I'm not sure what you were measuring at the fuel pressure regulator as the manufacturer states that the regulator's minimum fuel pressure value is 30 psi - not 15 psi. The important thing is the fuel pressure that the injectors see in the fuel rails. Try re-setting the fuel rail pressure to 40 psi as outlined above, and then re-connect the vacuum compensator port. The fuel rail pressure should drop to immediately to a lower value (I'm guessing around 34 psi) showing that the vacuum compensator is working.

Quick Reply: Need some help MASFLOEFI