Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Dependable Electric Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 01:04 PM
63FI
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Dependable Electric Fuel Pump

What would be the most dependable electric these days. Have a '63 FI car so I need the type for a carb. Motor does rev a bit.

Thanks
Old 02-28-2015, 01:30 PM
mr.beachcomber
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I've used Holley electric fuel pumps for years w/o problems as a replacement for the mechanical fuel pump on both my '67 and '72 Vettes. I think that this Holley pump might be what you're looking for in a replacement, rebuildable electric pump.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:36 PM
63FI
Racer

Default Elec Pump

Thanks! Reason I need electric is I picked up a Aluminum Bow Tie Block which has NO mount for the standard mechanical pump. I drive my cars everywhere and need something reliable. How long have you used this one?
Lou

Originally Posted by mr.beachcomber
I've used Holley electric fuel pumps for years w/o problems as a replacement for the mechanical fuel pump on both my '67 and '72 Vettes. I think that this Holley pump might be what you're looking for in a replacement, rebuildable electric pump.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:19 PM
mr.beachcomber
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I haven't used this particular model as all I have left are C4 and C5 Vettes. I used similar Holleys throughout the '70's on my various C2 and C3 Vettes w/o any problems. (Just remember to use a separate on/off switch for the fuel pump so it's not running when you crank the ignition over to "accessories".)

I liked this model for several reasons. First of all the electric pump was preset to max out at 7 psi which is more than enough for the street. (My early Holley fuel pumps had to be used with a Holley pressure regulator to ensure that the fuel pressure didn't get so high that the needles were pushed off their seat and flooded the carburetor.) Secondly, this unit has an internal filter to catch debris that could jam the rotatory vanes. (I had to reply on a gas tank sock to filter out the debris, rust from the tank as adding a fuel filter between the gas tank and pump could cause the old pumps to deadhead.) Finally, this pump can be rebuilt if need be. (The old units couldn't. If it died, you bought another one.) I think that my '67's Holley pump was installed in 1973 and was still going strong when I sold the car in 2003. The electric race pumps seemed to last about five years; however, they were designed to deliver high volumes of fuel that wouldn't be necessary for a street/strip Vette.

Just be sure to mount the pump below the gas tank so gravity feeds the system. Don't try to run the gas tank dry as fuel starvation can cause the pump to deadhead and/or lock up plus the passage of fuel helps cool the pump itself.

Good Luck!
Old 03-05-2015, 04:04 PM
63FI
Racer

OK, Thanks!

Originally Posted by mr.beachcomber
I haven't used this particular model as all I have left are C4 and C5 Vettes. I used similar Holleys throughout the '70's on my various C2 and C3 Vettes w/o any problems. (Just remember to use a separate on/off switch for the fuel pump so it's not running when you crank the ignition over to "accessories".)

I liked this model for several reasons. First of all the electric pump was preset to max out at 7 psi which is more than enough for the street. (My early Holley fuel pumps had to be used with a Holley pressure regulator to ensure that the fuel pressure didn't get so high that the needles were pushed off their seat and flooded the carburetor.) Secondly, this unit has an internal filter to catch debris that could jam the rotatory vanes. (I had to reply on a gas tank sock to filter out the debris, rust from the tank as adding a fuel filter between the gas tank and pump could cause the old pumps to deadhead.) Finally, this pump can be rebuilt if need be. (The old units couldn't. If it died, you bought another one.) I think that my '67's Holley pump was installed in 1973 and was still going strong when I sold the car in 2003. The electric race pumps seemed to last about five years; however, they were designed to deliver high volumes of fuel that wouldn't be necessary for a street/strip Vette.

Just be sure to mount the pump below the gas tank so gravity feeds the system. Don't try to run the gas tank dry as fuel starvation can cause the pump to deadhead and/or lock up plus the passage of fuel helps cool the pump itself.

Good Luck!
Old 03-21-2015, 01:35 PM
63FI
Racer

Curious if anyone here has been using this Holly pump?

Originally Posted by 63FI
OK, Thanks!
Old 04-21-2015, 10:14 PM
Xtremespeed
Burning Brakes

Location: The only state to ever kick another country's ass! TEXAS
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The Holley Red fuel pump has been around a long time. When I was in college, I ran one on my 10 sec 84 Camaro that I drove over 500 miles round trip home on a regular basis. It was one of the few things I never managed to tear up. It's a great street pump.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:50 PM
63FI
Racer

Default thanks ...

Originally Posted by Xtremespeed
The Holley Red fuel pump has been around a long time. When I was in college, I ran one on my 10 sec 84 Camaro that I drove over 500 miles round trip home on a regular basis. It was one of the few things I never managed to tear up. It's a great street pump.
Did you need a return line or a regulator with your Red Holley? Did you mount it near the tank or motor?

Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Dependable Electric Fuel Pump

Quick Reply: Dependable Electric Fuel Pump