Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Question about engine mods and warranties

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 09:54 AM
nick5454
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Question about engine mods and warranties

I plan on buying a corvette this weekend, I also looked at one with a supercharger. I realize that the supercharger voids the powertrain warranty.

But, what upgrades void the warranty also or where do I find this info out. Is modifying the cranks shaft, heads, and other things voiding the warranty.

I don't plan on racing, but I do want the car to sound mean and be fast. What mods can I do without voiding the powertrain warranty?

Any advice or links would be great.

So from this http://www.corvetteweb.com/warranty.html

I get the gist that I can modify the cam, headers, crankshaft, etc.., as long as I don't touch the computer and if I need warranty work, I have the original parts re-installed along with a full oil cleaning or something to that effect.

Is this a correct evaluation?

Last edited by nick5454; 06-10-2015 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-11-2015, 01:45 PM
mr.beachcomber
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

The bottom line is you mod your engine/drive train at your own risk. Regardless of what you've read, modifying the engine/drive train can and will void your warranty especially if your mod(s) caused the failure. What's worse, even if you mod(s) weren't the culprit, modifying the engine gives them legal ground to deny the claim.

If you think that you can trash your engine/drive train and then re-install the original parts without getting caught, you're dreaming. The GM powertrain people know exactly how their engines were assembled and can tell in a heartbeat whether or not an engine has been tampered with or not. They know which gaskets were installed, what fasteners were used, and whether or not the fasteners had a sealant or thread locker coating as well as what product line was used. This doesn't even cover some of the subtle things they look for in warranty claims.

I don't discourage you from modifying you Corvette drive train; however, realize that you are probably voiding your powertrain warranty if anything goes wrong. YMMV.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Question about engine mods and warranties