Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Hot Air? The What and Why of a Cold Air Intake for your C7 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 02:15 PM
AdPock
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Hot Air? The What and Why of a Cold Air Intake for your C7 Corvette

The idea of a Cold Air Induction is not new, nor is it impractical or snake-oil technology. There is real tech here, and we’ll explain how and why it works.

Read the rest on the Corvette Forum homepage. >>
Old 10-12-2015, 03:15 PM
0Cajun @ Edgyvette
Former Vendor

Received 393 Likes on 286 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12'-'13-'14-'15

I would be interested to see the difference between the stock air box with K&N, Green or Afe drop in vs Halltech, AFe Pro 5R and another "CAI"

When you add supporting mods such as headers and then possibly cam does it drastically change the WHP using a CAI vs quality drop in filter. The design of the C7 intake seems to support CAI function drawing air from outside the engine bay and most after market CAI are the same shape and draw air from the same spot.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:17 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Cajun@BER
I would be interested to see the difference between the stock air box with K&N, Green or Afe drop in vs Halltech, AFe Pro 5R and another "CAI"

When you add supporting mods such as headers and then possibly cam does it drastically change the WHP using a CAI vs quality drop in filter. The design of the C7 intake seems to support CAI function drawing air from outside the engine bay and most after market CAI are the same shape and draw air from the same spot.
Stock intake on the Z06 is a parts bin grab from the 460 C7.

Flows 289 CFM My car runs better with my Halltech intake.
It flows twice as much air but still is no tune. 8-9,000 miles on mine.
I like it! On the headers question I think the reason the headers don't
do more. IT needs the intake flow!

My ARH 2 inch Jethot coated should be here soon. Then I'm getting a tune and then you really have a machine with 750 or so hp.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:36 PM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

While the C7 air box does get air from outside the engine bay, it in no way shape or form could be considered as a CAI when compared to the honker, vararam and etc.

Those intakes get direct access to cool air flow and not some cool air from inside the inner most fender well (there are 2). The C6 and older cai's were also designed to speed up the air flow.

You also have to consider that the routing of the radiator hose directly under the stock air box in the engine bay warms the air path. Additionally, the flow of cool air from the grill opening goes directly through the radiator and exits the hood. There is no air moving around the engine bay.

So the value of getting some cool air from outside the engine bay of a C7 is not material.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:44 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

How does no hot air get in the engine compartment?

imo air is moving fast enough through the intake dont think a hot line would make a noticeable difference. Who knows...plastics sure a lot cooler than metal for sure at least
Old 12-05-2015, 09:30 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

you pick up 1% in HP for every 10 degrees you lower the inlet air temp.

Get notified of new replies

To Hot Air? The What and Why of a Cold Air Intake for your C7 Corvette

Quick Reply: Hot Air? The What and Why of a Cold Air Intake for your C7 Corvette