Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Wet sump vs dry sump

Old 12-28-2016, 08:53 AM
Dieselvol
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wet sump vs dry sump

I'm pretty new around here but already know this forum is the best place to get answers. I'm getting started restomoding a junked out '67. The LS7 is ordered, but I noticed the engine was converted from dry sump to wet sump. What's the difference and why does everybody seem to make this conversion? Thanks.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:59 AM
jrg77
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dieselvol
I'm pretty new around here but already know this forum is the best place to get answers. I'm getting started restomoding a junked out '67. The LS7 is ordered, but I noticed the engine was converted from dry sump to wet sump. What's the difference and why does everybody seem to make this conversion? Thanks.
Most cars come with a wet sump. The oil is stored in a pan below the crankshaft. The oil pump sucks oil out of the pan to lubricate and cool the engine.
That works fine as long as there is enough oil in the pan for the pump to suck. Really sharp curves and turns can cause the oil to slosh to the side, not get sucked up, and allow the bearings to get damaged due to lack of oil.
A dry sump system stores the oil in a separate canister. It sucks the oil from underneath the engine much more aggressively. Usually they include and air/oil separator in the system. This in important because the oil takes on air as it is whipped around in the engine. Oil foam does not lubricate engines well. This system better manages the oil in high G, high rpm situations. It also allows the engine to make more power.
Folks do not use the dry sump system because it takes fitting and plumbing another tank with extra parts. It is also much more costly than a wet sump oil system.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:39 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Dieselvol

$$$$$
Old 01-02-2017, 10:44 PM
Dieselvol
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redvetracr
$$$$$
Yeah, and you get to revisit that cost as well. I have a diesel pickup with an external oil cooler. About 3 years into it, I had to replace all the hoses and fittings as they were misting the whole world with oil!
Old 01-31-2017, 11:11 PM
Cars Simplified
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wet Sump vs Dry Sump

Engineering Explained produced a pretty good video about this recently:

Last edited by Cars Simplified; 01-31-2017 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Fix Video Code

Get notified of new replies

To Wet sump vs dry sump

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wet sump vs dry sump