Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Removed Dart Iron Eagle Heads

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 08:19 PM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Removed Dart Iron Eagle Heads

I removed the Dart Iron Eagle Heads off the Max Velocity Plus 383 Beck Racing Engine today. Found the tops of piston 3 and 4 broke off at the compression ring lands....It broke right in the same area for both pistons....seems they machined those piston tops too much on the intake valve side....it was very thin....no more than an 8th of an inch....just below the top you can see the compression ring....the rest of the pistons looked okay....the slivers that broke off must have gone through the exhaust because there was no pieces in there. It's amazing this thing raced and ran firing on that compression ring....I hope the block is salvageable....The Dart Iron Eagle Heads looked good....just required a good cleaning.... What's the most I can bore before it's in the water jacket or should I just use block for boat anchor? :seeya Cappy
Old 10-23-2002, 10:52 PM
89gta383
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Removed Dart Iron Eagle Heads (8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE)

Almost the same thing happened to mine, and the cylinders cleaned up with a hone, no damage to the bores.
Old 10-23-2002, 11:07 PM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Default Re: Removed Dart Iron Eagle Heads (89gta383)

89gta383,
I saw your other post.....number 3 cylinder wall is smooth, however number 4 cylinder wall I can feel where the piece of piston rubbed the wall...it's not gouged, just smooth indentations. I can't catch my finger nail in it. Do you think honing will make it right? Maybe I should bore it out to .40 over? Just to clean it up.... :seeya Cappy
Old 10-23-2002, 11:12 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Just have it honed and checked thoroughly to see if theres any block damage, going .030" more will require some custom parts that are way more expensive than the 383 parts.
Old 10-24-2002, 12:58 AM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Default Re: Removed Dart Iron Eagle Heads (vader86)

vader86,
After a good look.....I don't think this is salvageable.....Deeper down the bore it's gouged out pretty bad....I'm amazed by the thinness between the top of the piston and the valve indentation....maybe 1/8th inch. It appears Beck Racing Engines had zero clearance, so they machined the tops of the pistons with valve reliefs....where the valve pocket is on the top of the piston, to the compression ring, there's only 1/8th inch of piston material. They both snapped slivers of piston right at the valve relief. This engine will be going where it should have gone long time ago..... :mad :seeya Cappy
Old 10-24-2002, 05:34 AM
WashingtonRacer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How are those Iron Eagle heads working for you? I have a set of World Products S/R heads on my car at the moment, After wasting money getting them O-ringed and porting a polishing them "FOREVER" I decide to go to a roller cam, and that requires a 1.50 spring seat. Well, There is not enough material on the end seats for a 1.50 spring so I looks that I might just have to throw them out. I am doing everything on a budget, and I noticed those Iron Eagle heads. I want to know more.
Old 10-24-2002, 12:33 PM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Default Re: Removed Dart Iron Eagle Heads (WashingtonRacer)

WashingtonRacer,
The Dart Iron Eagles are great Heads....In fact after close inspection, they appear to be CNC and Ported.......They were immediately snatched up by a friend for his race car. The Cam Sprocket and Timing Chain, Edelbrock Air Gap Manifold, Roller Rockers, and possibly the Crank, if it's Forged.....will be used in another 383 or sold. Pistons/Rods and the block go straight to the bone yard....... :seeya Cappy

Get notified of new replies

To Removed Dart Iron Eagle Heads

Quick Reply: Removed Dart Iron Eagle Heads