Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Vacuum question on 406 with big cam...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 11:29 PM
Dracula383
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacuum question on 406 with big cam...

Hey does anyone know if this is normal? My dad has a 406 small block with a pretty radical cam (I think its around 300 degrees duration or so) and he has an off idle stumble. Vacuum gauge reads about 7 lbs at idle and then when he opens the throttle blades on the 650 barry grant it drops to 0. He is going to put a reserve canister on to see if that helps. Where is a good place to tap in for a vacuum T? It has power brakes as well. Any helps is appreciated guys, thanks James
Old 08-20-2003, 12:10 AM
74vetteman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Vacuum question on 406 with big cam... (Dracula383)

Normally, stumbles or hesitations are a sign that the engine isn't getting enough fuel. Check the accelerator pumps for excessive clearance, or maybe you need larger squirters or a different cam.

Edit: By different cam, I mean the cam on the accelerator pump arm.

[Modified by 74vetteman, 11:41 PM 8/21/2003]
Old 08-28-2003, 05:51 PM
The Dude
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Vacuum question on 406 with big cam... (Dracula383)

Hey does anyone know if this is normal? My dad has a 406 small block with a pretty radical cam (I think its around 300 degrees duration or so) and he has an off idle stumble. Vacuum gauge reads about 7 lbs at idle and then when he opens the throttle blades on the 650 barry grant it drops to 0. He is going to put a reserve canister on to see if that helps. Where is a good place to tap in for a vacuum T? It has power brakes as well. Any helps is appreciated guys, thanks James
I agree with the earlier poster who suggested tuning the carb's shooters and accel. pump cams. Is this a single-plane manifold? And, BTW, don'tcha think a 650 on top of a 406 with a camshaft like the one you're talking about may be something of a mismatch?

Get notified of new replies

To Vacuum question on 406 with big cam...

Quick Reply: Vacuum question on 406 with big cam...