Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Need advice for Air cleaner mod for Holley Adjust-a-Jet

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 08:43 PM
rob75383
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need advice for Air cleaner mod for Holley Adjust-a-Jet

I need to create a THICK seal between my holley carb and my air cleaner base... it needs to be about 3/16" or so.

I purchased the Adjust-a-jet kit this spring, and didn't install them until I moved into my new home. I bought two kits, and installed them about 2 months ago.
I had to use an adjustable summit dual feed fuel line with filter and gauge, and had an extra drop base air cleaner I had to beat up to get it to fit.

Each kit is about 1/2" thick, so with kits on both the primary and secondary side, I had some real fun beating the base of the air cleaner with a ball peen hammer for a couple of days. I also had to do a tiny bit of grinding on the outsides of the bowls.
I almost had fitting perfectly, except for the fact that the air cleaner base is about 1/4"-1/8" up from the gasket surface. There really is no way I can get it any lower, the needle adjustment screws and the fuel inlets are butting aganist the air cleaner base already.

I am currently compensating by using a bead of rope seal, and a home made air cleaner gasket I cut out of some extra thick gasket material I bought at the hardware store.
I am considering an idea- I can just make a nice thick bead of silicone around the gasket surface, let it cure without the air cleaner, then use that like a kinda makeshift o-ring to seal the air cleaner to the carb. My only fear is that the sharp edges of the air cleaner base will cut pieces off the silicone and send them into the engine.
I have the K&N x-treme lid, and a drop base, and I have only about 1/4" gap between the lid and the hood, so I can't get a flat base air cleaner, unless its like a 14" x 1.5" filter element.
What would you folks recommend I do to fill the gap between the air cleaner base and the carb??

I can post pics after midnight, once I get off of work.
Old 09-12-2003, 11:05 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: Need advice for Air cleaner mod for Holley Adjust-a-Jet ('75 383 ElkGrove)

Vacuum line tubing comes in numerous sizes and is soft enough to make a good seal. Wrap it around the carb top and cut to fit. Use a small piece of wire or anything else that is flexible and fits inside the tubing to join the ends together. A trip to the local hardware store will probably yield some other options also (like rubber spline used to hold the mesh in screen doors and windows).
Old 09-13-2003, 03:52 AM
rob75383
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Need advice for Air cleaner mod for Holley Adjust-a-Jet ('75 383 ElkGrove)

[Modified by '75 383 ElkGrove, 2:54 AM 9/13/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Need advice for Air cleaner mod for Holley Adjust-a-Jet

Quick Reply: Need advice for Air cleaner mod for Holley Adjust-a-Jet