Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Help with 900XP Dominator on 427 ci Small Block

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 02:47 AM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Help with 900XP Dominator on 427 ci Small Block

Finally got the engine in the car...however unable to start it.
I'm not familiar with the Dominator type carb.....Are these carbs very fickle??? Do you have to pump them before starting?
There's gas going in there because it's squirting.......
Maybe open the throttle wide open then turn engine on a cold start.
Should I drill small holes in the back throttle plates????
Very frustrated with this car.......it's been down since Sept....
:mad
Old 12-07-2003, 11:32 AM
wheelsup
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Help with 900XP Dominator on 427 ci Small Block (8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE)

I have a 1050 Dominator on my SBC. You do not need to give it much gas to start the engine. It's very easy to flood the motor. After a small pump shot upon initial start up , then subsequent start need no shot. It sounds like you have another problem, but not enough info given.
Old 12-07-2003, 12:56 PM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Default Re: Help with 900XP Dominator on 427 ci Small Block (wheelsup)

It appears it's getting too much gas.....It will begin to start as I press the gas pedal down then it just rolls over until the battery goes weak.
Heading out today to buy a new battery....since we wore this one down in a past exciting episode of engine refusing to start which ended in catastrophic engine melt down.
I don't have a vacuum can on the distributor.....and all the vacuum ports are closed at this time. I will hook up PVC system later. There is some popping back through carb until I move distributor to what appears to be a sweet spot......Engine begins to start....then rolls over till battery goes weak.
:mad
I might return to regular 870 Holley....Since I'm having so much problems with this Domonator.
However it's true what you say...I may have other problems. I know nothing about getting this engine started.....That's a major problem. :D
Old 12-07-2003, 01:04 PM
wheelsup
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Help with 900XP Dominator on 427 ci Small Block (8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE)

It sounds more like a distributor problem. Was the motor running ok with the other carb. Inorder for anyone here to offer any assistance, you would need to supply more detailed info of what you have done up to this point.
Good luck
Old 12-07-2003, 01:47 PM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

wheelsup,
This is a brand new Bill Mitchell 427 ci Crate Engine....Complete turn key....It was run at their facility to check for leaks and Dyno...so they claim.
The engine normally come with a 870 Holley....I opted for the 900XP and they installed the Dominator instead of the 870 Holley that comes with this engine.
They told me they would not mess with the fine tuning side since this is not the Carb that comes with this engine....they would get it running, check for leaks, and I would be responsible for getting it to work properly with this engine.
When it arrived I removed the cheap cast iron HEI distributor they use and installed my MSD HEI.....with new 10.4mm Taylor wires. I removed their cheap balancer and installed an ATI.....I may have knocked timing off, however it's been checked many times and it appears we are close....since engine starts then dies....I'm affraid to apply more gas pedal because I don't want to flood with gas and end up with hydrolock. :banghead:
Any advice you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

BTW....I also removed the MSD HEI....because I thought it could be suspect and installed a Petronix FlameThrower HEI...just to make sure it was not my MSD screwing it up....same thing....No start. :banghead:

[Modified by 8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE, 8:50 AM 12/7/2003]
Old 12-07-2003, 05:33 PM
wheelsup
Melting Slicks

Are you running a mechanical or electrical fuel pump. Have you checked to see that it holds pressure. Do you have a f.p regulator and gauge in the engine bay area.. Please feel free to email me pics of the engine setup.

[Modified by wheelsup, 4:34 PM 12/7/2003]
Old 12-07-2003, 06:56 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you primed the motor? did you bring up the oil pressure (off subject, but i dont want you to forget that part)
Old 12-07-2003, 07:25 PM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Are you running a mechanical or electrical fuel pump. Have you checked to see that it holds pressure. Do you have a f.p regulator and gauge in the engine bay area.. Please feel free to email me pics of the engine setup.

[Modified by wheelsup, 4:34 PM 12/7/2003]
Running electrical fuel pump 6 psi....at the guage/regulator....Getting lots of fuel...maybe too much. Fuel squirts into bowls no problem.....Double checked Timing to make sure it was not 180 out.....Even turned it 180 out to see if that was the problem....nasty bad results loud noises and pops....Getting perfect spark at the plugs....we pulled the plugs and used a spark tester...lots of fire across a half inch gap......
Removing the entire intake and carb and installing 870 holley....will let you know how that turns out.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:15 AM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Wheelup,
She's running good now.....We switched intakes and carb....seems the Dominator was running on.....When we tried to remove those freaking plastic sight windows that Holley puts on and the gas melts....both freaking windows broke off flush with the slot....So we were unable to tell if the floats were properly set.
After installing the 870 Holley she beltched a couple of times then came to life....So far sounds very nasty....even more nasty than the 415 ci we removed.
I'm sending the Dominator to a carb builder to have him remove the broken sight plus and do a complete build up including bowl/body polishing.
Thanks for all the help.....will keep you all posted as things progress.... :steering: Finally back on the road after 4 months of needle point waiting around for new engine. :hurray:
Old 12-08-2003, 09:20 AM
wheelsup
Melting Slicks

I'am glad you got it running. Was the XP carb new? I guess the floats needed to be adjusted. Is the BIll M. engine the 625hp version. Keep us posted. Do you plan see some track time or dyno time.
Good luck
Old 12-09-2003, 10:20 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,330 Likes on 1,058 Posts

I didn't say anything because I have never in person seen a 900Xp.

Chokeless Demons without fast idle circuits I do know about.

Since your 870 cfm fired up right away I would assume that the 900 had something way off.

I just wanted to tell you that if your 415 ci ran good with it's 870 jetting that additional cubic inches don't change the jetting. Your cam and intake system really didn't change at all.

I just wanted to get back to our chokeless non fast idle circuit carbs.

With carbs and our pistons and rotating motor - Hydro lock isn't a concern. Hydro lock is a new era problem with leaking injectors. Let them sit and they fill a cylinder from a fuel rail pressurized to 50 psi. So you have a whole fuel rail leak into cylinder coming up on Bang time!:) It can't do it because of Hydro lock.:nonod:

Carb pumps are only 50cc at best from big carb squirters....

So anyway once you have the timing dialed in. Just do a couple of WOT pumps - Then hit the starter - When it fires do a couple of small wiggles to get it running. Then you have to hold it at 1500 or 2000 depending on how cold it's NO BIG deal! wiggle it to maintain your 1500- 2000 idle.

All you have to do is get it going:) Then with left foot brake petal right foot gas. Let off on the gas and put it in gear. Our 3500 stall 700R$ are really lazy to get moving. Blip the throttle to get going.

Learn how to drive with left foot braking

When mine is cold I can put it in gear and it doesn't even move. Rev it up to go. Once it's hot it's a tire burning shift every time :auto:

[Modified by gkull, 8:37 AM 12/10/2003]
Old 12-10-2003, 12:35 AM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Default Re: Help with 900XP Dominator on 427 ci Small Block (gkull)

Thanks gkull,
The guy who bought my Beck Racing 383 Block also bought the intake and 870 Holley Hardcore Carb at the same time......
We figure the 900Xp might be flooding out the engine. We tried to take off those silly plastic windows that Holley is having problems with frosting over and melting in the gas.....Both sight windows broke off as we tried to remove them....then when we tried to get the plastic pieces out..... they fell into the bowls....It was like hell all over again.
The guy returned the 870 with the intake....we installed it and after a few pops and burps it started.
The 900XP sits awaiting a complete cleaning. While at it we will have the bowls polished and brass plugs installed where the sight windows were.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:49 AM
QuickVet
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take your time, you will get it right. no reason to rush.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:35 AM
JoeC427
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Help with 900XP Dominator on 427 ci Small Block (QuickVet)

take your time, you will get it right. no reason to rush.
:iagree:

Get notified of new replies

To Help with 900XP Dominator on 427 ci Small Block

Quick Reply: Help with 900XP Dominator on 427 ci Small Block