F-Body General Discussion Non-Corvette General Discussion on Camaro, Firebird and Trans Am, F-Body Technical Info, for sale

2009 Chevy Camaro News!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 09:40 AM
Ken Fichtner
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Cruise-in I Veteran
Cruise-in II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default 2009 Chevy Camaro News!

6/28/07 Chevy Camaro

Thanks to its recent starring role as "Bumblebee" in the Transformers movie, the Chevy Camaro continues to create buzz and increased speculation about its production timing and feature content. It's important to note that the three Camaro Concept Vehicles (the Silver and Red Coupes and Hugger Orange Convertible) and the Yellow Camaro "Bumblebee" Concept showcased in the Transformers movie will differ from the Camaro production vehicle that is set to be available for sale in the first quarter of 2009.
In addition to this key fact, there are several other things you may need to know and communicate to customers who come to your dealership inquiring about the production Camaro:
• The Chevy Camaro Coupe will be available for sale in the first quarter of 2009
• The Chevy Camaro Convertible will be available for sale within one year of the Coupe
• Customers will be able to choose from a V6 or V8 engine and a manual or automatic transmission
• Camaro will incorporate an independent rear suspension
• Production will take place in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
In regard to features, there has been a lot of guessing by the public. Any comments outside the above items should be listed as pure speculation. Please find below a full list of Camaro Questions and Answers you can use to address customer inquiries.

Why is the Chevy Camaro concept starring in the Transformers movie?

Camaro is starring in Transformers to keep up the excitement that was first generated at its unveiling in 2006. The Transformers movie will also help the new Camaro gather new fans -- women just as likely as young men. The movie uses the latest graphic, computer-animated detail to visualize the old Camaro transforming into the Camaro concept in a way that no press conference or ad campaign ever could. It’s a powerful way to link the upcoming Camaro to the Camaro of old and tie in the lengthy Camaro heritage for consumers.

Is there a rich heritage surrounding Camaro?

Since it roared to life in the fall of 1966 as a 1967 model, Camaro has given millions a taste of “performance -- American style,” with muscular V8s, great road-handling suspension components and uncompromised styling that really turns heads. And after 35 years, Camaro remains the “purest of the breed” and part of the great American motoring landscape. Camaro has touched many lives -- and graced many garages -- with nearly 4.8 million produced between 1967 and 2002. More than 1,000 Camaro clubs exist globally and thousands of Camaro Web sites pay homage to the sports coupe.

When will the Camaro production vehicle be available for sale to the public?

The Camaro production vehicle will be available for sale in the first quarter of 2009.

Why is the Camaro taking so long to launch? Is it late?

Back in August 2006, GM announced that the all-new Camaro would go sale in the first quarter of 2009. Nothing has changed. This is still the target date for production. GM is using this time frame to further develop its new global rear-wheel-drive architecture and fine-tune Camaro’s fuel-efficient powertrain, sophisticated chassis and contemporary design.

Was a production Camaro the plan from the beginning?

Camaro production is a direct result of the overwhelming enthusiastic response to the Chevy Camaro concept at the 2006 North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

What performance features and engines will be offered in the Camaro production vehicle?

The Camaro production vehicle will incorporate an independent rear suspension and offer a manual and automatic transmission. Customers will be able to choose from a V6 or V8 engine to power their production Camaro. Horsepower ratings have yet to be announced for the production Camaro. The Camaro concept houses a small-block V8 engine, rated at 400 horsepower. More Camaro production features will be announced in the future.

Will there be a production Camaro convertible?

Yes, there will be a production Camaro convertible. It will be available for sale within one year of the production Camaro coupe.

Where will the production Camaro be built?

Production will take place in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada.

Has pricing been announced for the production Camaro?

Pricing for the production Camaro has yet to be announced.

Are vehicles like the production Camaro compatible with growing concerns about fuel economy?

GM offers a wide range of fuel-saving technologies. Although it is too early for specifics regarding the Camaro production vehicle, it’s safe to say that Chevrolet and GM are continuing to look for ways to improve fuel economy and offer the latest fuel-saving technologies. The Camaro production vehicle is being designed with fuel economy concerns in mind.

What vehicles will the production Camaro compete against?

Customers interested in the Camaro production vehicle will also be shopping the Ford Mustang and the new 2008 Dodge Challenger. Challenger will be built off established RWD architecture, allowing it to start production earlier than Camaro. The Camaro production vehicle will be designed to hold a number of product advantages over this competition and will surely be able to hold its own against any high-performance
competitor out there.

How can I get more information about Camaro?
If you have customers who are seeking an information source, you can direct them to www.ChevyNation.com. From there, they can click on “Chevy Clubhouse”, then “Camaro.”
Old 06-29-2007, 02:03 PM
LexLuther
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Ken!

There is also more new about the new camaro at http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2

"It's important to note that the three Camaro Concept Vehicles (the Silver and Red Coupes and Hugger Orange Convertible) and the Yellow Camaro "Bumblebee" Concept showcased in the Transformers movie will differ from the Camaro production vehicle that is set to be available for sale in the first quarter of 2009."
To comment on the bulletin. The reason GM states the car in the movie is different is because it was built on the GTO platform and the dimensions will not match the production car. See news here http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=121044

The camaro5 forum reports that the interest was so big on the concept cars that GM was scared to alter it. They mention on the forum from GM Ed Peper it will be very close http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501

Exact differences between concept and production dimensions http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515

More on the chassis: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=789

That's all I got, hope the news interest some.

I was also considering one but the fact that it will come in a cheaper v6 means that every high school kids and college girls will own one has put me off Lets not mention the former would always want to race you at every stop light during your drive would be frustrating. Case-in-point the current mustang or lastest brand of import street tuner car. The potential upside would be an abundance of wrecked/salvaged cars to be transformed into real track racers Perhaps a camaro SCCA series?

Seriously though the fact that the more expensive V8 will look no different than the v6 other than badging is also a turn off. Example: how many v6 mustangs do you see over v8 ones and can you tell the difference between the two?

Perhaps it is worth waiting until the SS Camaro comes out rather than a plain wrapper everyday camaro like everybody else? Reading hints to suggestions of slight bodywork differences for the SS not to mention performance differences ie; bigger engine and suspension etc; as is similar between the coupe and z06 vette after all GM builds both and gives no indications otherwise. Case-in-point the last gen camaro SS.

Until then I am waiting for the 4LT to come off build constraints to buy one of those. The corvette is more distinctive than any other car out there and it makes no pretenses with having no other engine option other than a big V8. Z06 not withstanding as we all agree that is a different creature alltogether. IMHO and stepping off the soapbox
Old 06-29-2007, 02:24 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Good information, thanks Ken.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:27 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Very interesting stuff. Thanks, Ken.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:03 PM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

Old 06-29-2007, 04:07 PM
BigBadRed
Race Director

IBTMJ

(in before the mullet jokes)

Old 06-29-2007, 04:25 PM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default thanks for the info but NO thanks on the car......

Well, Ken, yes, the Camaro has a rich tradition. I owned a new '68 SS 396 in the summer of '68. 4 speed coupe green with black top and white/black interior. I loved the car as only a young man can.

It has AC, PS, and PB......but not posi.....and it layed down a single stripe instead of two....

And it was built in the US.

So now we have a Camaro that's to be built in a foreign country. And, make no mistake about it , Canada , though I love it, is a foreign country until, at least, those who want to make a single nation , or union , out of North America succeed.

So pardon me if I'm not getting really excited about a foreign built Camaro. And the so called GTO? Built in Australia? lol

But the place the car is to be built is a small thing compared to what I think of the concept car. Big, bulky, squat, heavy....more like a Charger....it's gotta end up near 4000 pounds.

Sorry, not interested. IMO the '67 and '68 Camaros were classically styled, unique, and beautiful. The '69 was changed a bit and had it's own personality but it also gained a bit of weight....

From that point on I stopped bothering to even look at Camaros. This new one is just another in a long line like that for me.

Now, I am certainly NOT in the target market for this car...or am I?

I could pay cash for one now 40 years after my first. But only if it was smaller, nimble, faster, and not weighed down with all that sheet metal designed to make it look like some kind of Dodge.

We'll see what the market does with the car. My bet is that after initial excitement it will not be a big seller. One reason?

Oil hit SEVENTY bucks a gallon today OR how do you spell Mini Cooper may do much better with the 'youth' market.

Last edited by OregonC6; 06-29-2007 at 04:27 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-29-2007, 10:23 PM
Vettlldo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Challenger will be built off established RWD architecture, allowing it to start production earlier than Camaro. The Camaro production vehicle will be designed to hold a number of product advantages over this competition and will surely be able to hold its own against any high-performance competitor out there.
This is an interesting statement. Is the new Camaro using front wheel drive achitecture?
Old 06-29-2007, 11:33 PM
jsk96z28
Pro

Umm, the last generation camaro was built in canada too. So, Oregon, your an idiot and don't know crap. BTW, the 69 camaro was little changed from the 68 and 67's, it only had a straight rear fender well, and slight front and rear lighting differences, certainly no great weight difference. Do you even know what a camaro looks like? Doubt it. Another idiot who knows little, what else is new around here.

Independent rear suspension? Huh? Are they kidding? Except for weight, there isn't going to be a whole lot of difference between the vette and camaro anymore. Well, except for price of course.

I might be going back to camaro's again..... Not like I don't still own some of course.

Last edited by jsk96z28; 06-29-2007 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:41 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Nice. While I'm not sure if I'll be getting one of the new Camaros I am still the proud owner of my 2nd one (first being an '87 IROC Z28 5.7L), fun cars for sure.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:45 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Vettlldo
This is an interesting statement. Is the new Camaro using front wheel drive achitecture?
No.
What they mean is that the Challenger has the benefit of using a platform already in production (the 300C/Magnum/Charger) where as the Camaro will ride on all new one that's just hitting production now in a few other vehicles...it WILL indeed be RWD.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:49 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jsk96z28
Umm, the last generation camaro was built in canada too. So, Oregon, your an idiot and don't know crap.
Ease up there bud, I wouldn't go that far.
He never actually stated that the last generation wasn't built in Canada...and honestly I too wish it was being assembled in the U.S. just like it's main competitor the Mustang is, as well as Corvettes.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:03 AM
jsk96z28
Pro

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Ease up there bud, I wouldn't go that far.
He never actually stated that the last generation wasn't built in Canada...and honestly I too wish it was being assembled in the U.S. just like it's main competitor the Mustang is, as well as Corvettes.
Read it again.

BTW, the plant is right on the border of Canada and the US and has almost 50-50 split of employees national origin. I'd rather it was built in Canada than Mexico, or all robots in Tennesee.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:21 PM
Vettin08
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Which line of American Built cars would you shut down so the Camaro could be built here?
Old 06-30-2007, 04:23 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Interesting.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:41 PM
2005ArcticWhite
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'18,'20-'21,'24

Old 06-30-2007, 04:54 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jsk96z28
Read it again.

BTW, the plant is right on the border of Canada and the US and has almost 50-50 split of employees national origin. I'd rather it was built in Canada than Mexico, or all robots in Tennesee.
I read it again. He stated that his 68 was built in the US. He never said anything about the last Gen 4 not being built in Canada.

Just some friendly advice: don't be so quick to call someone an idiot. We try to be more friendly on this forum, you may want to hang out on the Civic forums.

I happen to agree with a number of things that Oregon stated. I also do NOT want a 4000 pound car. If they could make it look more like the first gen and weigh the same as the first gens, then I would get in line. And please don't think I don't like F bodies, I've had four: 68 Firebird 400, 73 Camaro Z28, 94 Camaro Z28, and 01 Camaro Z28 (all bought either new or 1 year old). I really like all four of those cars with my favorite being the latest one.

Thanks,
Glenn

Get notified of new replies

To 2009 Chevy Camaro News!

Old 06-30-2007, 05:25 PM
Vettin08
Safety Car

It will NOT weigh 4000 lbs! Can't say how I know, but take it to the bank.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:56 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VETLESStil08
It will NOT weigh 4000 lbs! Can't say how I know, but take it to the bank.
Good news. But what will it weigh? The first gens weighed around 3380, so that's what I'd like to see.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:05 PM
Vettin08
Safety Car

More than a 4th gen, less than a GTO. It's not done yet, but sorry to say, at its price point, it just cannot get down to 33xx lbs. . Hp to weight will be competitive though .

Quick Reply: 2009 Chevy Camaro News!