F-Body General Discussion Non-Corvette General Discussion on Camaro, Firebird and Trans Am, F-Body Technical Info, for sale

'68 Z28 Title Problems GA vs AL

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 06:20 PM
64roadster
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Default '68 Z28 Title Problems GA vs AL

I have owned my Z28 since the early 1990s when I bought it from a small collector in PA. I have had my car registered and titled here in GA ever since. This week when I went to renew all of my plates I was denied the Camaro plate because, somehow, my VIN is now registered in Alabama. I have been talking to both GA and AL DMV and they are talking to each other but this issue is still unresolved.

Apparently there is a 1968 Camaro in Jefferson County (Birmingham area, I think) with its registration showing the same VIN as mine.

I suspect someone transposed a couple of digits in AL but I can do nothing personally other than wait and hope the DMVs get it right.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:54 PM
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by 64roadster
I have owned my Z28 since the early 1990s when I bought it from a small collector in PA. I have had my car registered and titled here in GA ever since. This week when I went to renew all of my plates I was denied the Camaro plate because, somehow, my VIN is now registered in Alabama. I have been talking to both GA and AL DMV and they are talking to each other but this issue is still unresolved.

Apparently there is a 1968 Camaro in Jefferson County (Birmingham area, I think) with its registration showing the same VIN as mine.

I suspect someone transposed a couple of digits in AL but I can do nothing personally other than wait and hope the DMVs get it right.
Have you taken a picture of your vin and sent it in, or driven your car to your local DMV to prove it?
Old 07-28-2014, 05:41 PM
64roadster
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 8388
Have you taken a picture of your vin and sent it in, or driven your car to your local DMV to prove it?
The DMV says they do not dispute my owning the car but they cannot reissue my registration until AL DMV makes a correction on their end.

I have been trying to post messages on different sites hoping someone will see it and know a '68 Camaro owner in Jefferson County, AL.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:57 PM
64roadster
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

My time in the Twilight Zone continues. Not making any progress that I can tell. I'm going to ask my local police if they can contact police in Birmingham in hopes of locating owner of the AL car, but I do not expect them to comply.

These computer records can be scary!
Old 08-09-2014, 09:26 PM
64roadster
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

Update: the AL DMV is contacting their owner of record... I presume this means they mailed a letter so I am hopeful of a resolution soon.

BTW, local police could not help.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:40 AM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

I hope you get your problem cleared up but,
Old 08-29-2014, 07:40 AM
Krystal
Race Director

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

This may turn into a civil action to light a fire under someone's butt.........but here's a thought.

Is it possible someone has a STOLEN Camaro and is now using YOUR numbers to register the stolen car in their possession?

It's a LONG SHOT but is it possible to locate past owners of your car?

You find one of 'em or a relative of one in that county......you just might help someone locate their stolen car!

Your little nightmare might just turn into a really GREAT story of how you helped re-unite someone with their car.

....and maybe this isn't a stolen car but something else still pretty devious....

........I can't help but wonder if that person in Alabama wasn't SCAAMMED into buying a CLONE made to look real with a verifiable VIN.

Seems to me the difference in value today between a REAL '68 Z/28 and a more pedestrian Camaro is substantial enough to bring out the thief in a less than honest car owner with enough imagination and lack of the moral character that keeps it legal and honest.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:46 AM
Krystal
Race Director

My time in the Twilight Zone continues. Not making any progress that I can tell. I'm going to ask my local police if they can contact police in Birmingham in hopes of locating owner of the AL car, but I do not expect them to comply.

These computer records can be scary!
Here's a question I hope you asked......

"If I can't re-register because someone has my numbers in Alabama........how did he manage to register with my numbers already in use here?
Old 09-05-2014, 02:49 AM
64roadster
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Krystal
Here's a question I hope you asked......

"If I can't re-register because someone has my numbers in Alabama........how did he manage to register with my numbers already in use here?
Sadly enough my saga continues...
I wanted to give the DMV offices some time to contact the AL owner and correct the issues on their end but the last couple of emails and phone calls to my DMV office have gone unanswered. Calling back to AL DMV doesn't get me answers either. This week I emailed the Tax Commissioner's Office in Atlanta but have not heard back yet.

So, this issue began on July 22nd and my '68 Z28 is sitting on my lift with not much of anything happening, that I know of. The longer this drags out the more I think the AL owner knows they are using a fraudulent VIN.

Krystal, DMVs just assumed the car was sold.

Moose, here's a pic of the Z. It now sits on top of my lift with a cover.
Gordon
Attached Images  
Old 09-05-2014, 02:53 AM
64roadster
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by moose.b3
I hope you get your problem cleared up but,
Current pic...
Attached Images  
Old 09-05-2014, 10:53 PM
64roadster
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

Talked with the Department of Revenue Tax Commissioner's Office today. Based on our conversations I am more hopeful of reaching a proper conclusion. It seems that while it does not seem right, whenever another State registers a vehicle already registered in another State, the newer registration overrides the first. I guess that may not be a problem unless someone makes an error while inputting the VIN data or outright fraud is involved. Either way, the innocent party gets all the grief and burden!

Hopefully I will be able to wrap up this thread next week...
Old 09-06-2014, 02:18 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

find your paperwork from when you bought it in PA,you might have the stolen car,and the state will come and take it from you,,be careful
Old 09-06-2014, 03:14 PM
64roadster
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
find your paperwork from when you bought it in PA,you might have the stolen car,and the state will come and take it from you,,be careful
The prior owner paperwork has been scrutinized many times and the local police had to run a theft check before I could title and register it the first time. And, my DMV does not deny the legitimacy of my car but that doesn't prevent another State from registering the same VIN and thus overriding my registration. Crazy government rules and regulations.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:18 PM
64roadster
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

Great news finally!

Alabama has not yet resolved the issues on their end concerning a duplicate VIN being registered in their State, but the State of Georgia has lifted the hold on my registration and today issued a new license plate and registration for my car. I appreciate my local DMV office's efforts to resolve this but the hold could only lifted at the State level. Hopefully this will not be a repeat problem next year.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:31 AM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

Congratulations on getting a title in your state. That is one beautiful Z/28. I'm in the middle of a 69 Camaro build right now and I was having a hard time deciding on a color to paint it. I always did like the blue with white stripes and after seeing the picture of your's I believe my mind is made up. At least for now.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:43 AM
64roadster
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by moose.b3
Congratulations on getting a title in your state. That is one beautiful Z/28. I'm in the middle of a 69 Camaro build right now and I was having a hard time deciding on a color to paint it. I always did like the blue with white stripes and after seeing the picture of your's I believe my mind is made up. At least for now.
Thanks Moose. I actually get many more compliments of the Z28 than I do my other cars. I'm not sure if it's the paint color or that more people can relate to a Camaro than a Corvette. Good luck on your build!
Old 09-13-2014, 11:31 PM
64roadster
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

BTW, when I first registered my '64 Corvette the DMV gave me back the PO's title. I only realized the registered my '64 as"non-titled" while I was going thru this ordeal with my Camaro. So this week I went to the DMV with an Appilcation for Georgia Title and they processed it with no problem. The DMV rep said they were trained that all vehicles 30 years old or more will be non-titled. He was surprised the system actually let him process my application for title. I figured having a title is better than not...

Get notified of new replies

To '68 Z28 Title Problems GA vs AL

Old 10-02-2014, 09:16 AM
Krystal
Race Director

BTW, when I first registered my '64 Corvette the DMV gave me back the PO's title. I only realized the registered my '64 as"non-titled" while I was going thru this ordeal with my Camaro. So this week I went to the DMV with an Appilcation for Georgia Title and they processed it with no problem. The DMV rep said they were trained that all vehicles 30 years old or more will be non-titled. He was surprised the system actually let him process my application for title. I figured having a title is better than not...
Your whole ordeal suggests that Titles should NEVER expire.

I get it in-so-far as the thinking goes. A $100 bucket of parts that might be a virtually UNWANTED 6 cylinder 4 door sedan from many years past shouldn't be encumbered by the issues related to such a formal transfer of ownership......but the problem with letting titles expire over time is easy enough to point to.

NOBODY knows for sure.......which cars will hold REAL value worth the extra security provided in a "title" of ownership.

Back in 1968 Camaros were coming off the line in HUGE numbers.......who knew that 46 years later a good one would be worth as much or more than an average priced new car in 2014?

If we could have known that we'd have our argument for a title on specific models that never expires over time. Failing that knowledge maybe all cars......even the $100 bucket of bolts should also be titled for as long as they exist.

.....anyway......glad to hear your problem is behind you for another year....... it sucks that every time you go to register you're gonna worry about this issue. I don't like what this does to the re-sale value of your car either. You have to find a way to permanently resolve it before the day comes when you want to sell too. Seems to me you'd be pretty much required to disclose the problem when you sell or you could see a buyer coming after you in a civil suit when he/she faces the issue for the first time.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:28 PM
FU
NCM Lifetime # 982
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Glad all finally worked out well for you. That is one beautiful Z !!
Old 10-02-2014, 04:58 PM
64roadster
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Krystal
Your whole ordeal suggests that Titles should NEVER expire.

I get it in-so-far as the thinking goes. A $100 bucket of parts that might be a virtually UNWANTED 6 cylinder 4 door sedan from many years past shouldn't be encumbered by the issues related to such a formal transfer of ownership......but the problem with letting titles expire over time is easy enough to point to.

NOBODY knows for sure.......which cars will hold REAL value worth the extra security provided in a "title" of ownership.

Back in 1968 Camaros were coming off the line in HUGE numbers.......who knew that 46 years later a good one would be worth as much or more than an average priced new car in 2014?

If we could have known that we'd have our argument for a title on specific models that never expires over time. Failing that knowledge maybe all cars......even the $100 bucket of bolts should also be titled for as long as they exist.

.....anyway......glad to hear your problem is behind you for another year....... it sucks that every time you go to register you're gonna worry about this issue. I don't like what this does to the re-sale value of your car either. You have to find a way to permanently resolve it before the day comes when you want to sell too. Seems to me you'd be pretty much required to disclose the problem when you sell or you could see a buyer coming after you in a civil suit when he/she faces the issue for the first time.
I believe my troubles would have been greater had I not had a GA title on file. It is my understanding the Alabama Camaro is a non-titled car which i find rather rediculous that it took precedence over my titled car. At least now I also have a GA title for my '64 Vette as well.

Quick Reply: '68 Z28 Title Problems GA vs AL