F-Body General Discussion Non-Corvette General Discussion on Camaro, Firebird and Trans Am, F-Body Technical Info, for sale

Should I get this built 1996 z28?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 11:10 PM
corvettesforevor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I get this built 1996 z28?

So there is this 1996 black z28 camaro on craigslist. It has the original engine, but it was stroked and is now a 383. Comp roller cam, It has new heads, complete flowmaster exhaust, subframe connectors, upgraded breaks and suspension. The interior and exterior are both in good shape. IT has c5 corvette wheels. 6 speed manual t56 transmission. Runs and drives and shifts good. No rust.

So it has alot of performance parts, and only has 20k miles on the rebuilt stroked engine. The bad part is that it has 220k miles on the body and transmission. He said he would take 4,500$ for it. Alot of the parts are new but 220k still worries me. That tells me that the transmission would probably need a rebuild sometime soon down the road, if it hasn't been rebuilt before, which the current owner doesn't know.
Also has a newer clutch with about 20k miles on it too.
The A/c has been deleted and cooling fans are on a toggle switch witch makes me think it may have been a track car at one point which isn't a good thing in my view.

The car looks like it would be really fast and fun for not a ton of money but the 220k on the body and trans worries me. What do you guys think? The engine is worth alot on its own. Good deal, or too high of mileage to bother with?

thanks
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/4582231420.html

Last edited by corvettesforevor; 08-23-2014 at 02:18 AM.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:34 PM
corvettesforevor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no one? I might go look at this tomorrow-need quick opinions
Old 08-24-2014, 07:44 PM
lowazztruck
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't waste my time looking at something with that high mileage. Who rebuilt the engine? I don't care if the engine was new. That many miles I'm sure the suspension, mounts are shot interior prob is worn and. Besides the fact of lt1s having opti spark which will give you problems forever
Old 08-25-2014, 12:41 AM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

You could not lose anything from going to look at it. Generally, most guys who build an engine will also go through the suspension parts and other areas that need attention. The optipark unit was no doubt replaced and if the guy was worth his salt as a decent wrench, then he would likely install a high quality unit like an MSD, which wont give you "problems forever". 4th gens are very reasonable to restore and repair in comparison to Vettes. Dont worry about miles if the car feels good, looks good, stops well...then you might have a fun, cheap car to play with.

Get notified of new replies

To Should I get this built 1996 z28?

Quick Reply: Should I get this built 1996 z28?