F-Body General Discussion Non-Corvette General Discussion on Camaro, Firebird and Trans Am, F-Body Technical Info, for sale

Has anyone tried the Ram Air Modification on a 2002 Camaro SS ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 05:17 PM
RHonCF
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone tried the Ram Air Modification on a 2002 Camaro SS ??

I'm considering the Ram Air Mod shown on You Tube for my 2002 Camaro SS, where you remove the stock air filter, draw lines below the opening of the bracket onto the lower mounting bracket, then cut out the flat material that blocks air from entering from below the air filter. Has anyone tried this mod, because there was mention of a whistling noise at some speeds, which I'm concerned about, and/or how to prevent the noise while reaping the benefit of the hugely increased airflow. Please Help if you can OK. Thanks !
Old 09-15-2014, 09:01 PM
spdkilz911
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

I did that mod on my 99 Z28. Don't know if it ever helped? Never noticed any noises afterwards. It does dirty up the filter though.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:35 PM
NW-99SS
Safety Car

Received 713 Likes on 370 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

All 98-02 SS cars already have "Ram-Air" whether you believe it functions well or not. On the SS cars, there is an opening at the front of the air box at the bottom where the ducts from the hood scoop route the air. The bottom flat part of the airbox, in a way, directs the forced air from the hood (read: My best guess, is it doesn't force any air below 60mph), through the filter to the MAF.

I have seen this mod on the forums, etc, and it's not one I will be doing to my Heads/Cam/Intake/Exhaust 1999 SS. I would put money on it not being worth even a couple horsepower except maybe on Z28 cars that allowed no air incoming from the hood.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:31 PM
0RoadRunnerAutoTransport
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Only worth it if you keep going lower and install a CAI. Those cars breathe from beneath the car, which is why there's that plastic air deflector under the front end. It pushes air up into the engine bay; the CAI provides a duct from that deflector straight up into the air box and seals it.

Last edited by RoadRunnerAutoTransport; 12-22-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:50 PM
trackbird
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did it on my 2002 Z28 and for the few hp you gain it wasn't worth it for the amount of mud and junk you got in the filter. It is a useful performance mod, but I don't think it's worth the hassles and muddy filters.

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone tried the Ram Air Modification on a 2002 Camaro SS ??

Quick Reply: Has anyone tried the Ram Air Modification on a 2002 Camaro SS ??