Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

partial VIN numbers

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 12:00 AM
mdj21
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default partial VIN numbers

in 1973, would the partial VIN number on the transmission be the exact same partial VIN number stamped on the engine block?
Old 04-13-2006, 07:40 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Yes, provided the engine and tranny are original. The partial VIN (consecutive unit number) on each should also match the the consecutive unit number on the full VIN tag on the driver's windshield post.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:35 AM
mdj21
Racer

is the consecutive unit number just the last 6 digits of my VIN?

what about the first three digist of the partial VIN? would those be the same between engine and trany?

for example, on my transmission the number is 13Sxxxxxx (where the x's are the last six digits of my VIN. would the engine block partial VIN also start with these same three numbers and letters, 13S?
Old 04-13-2006, 11:23 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In II Veteran

Consectutive Unit number is usually the last five digits of the VIN since they have never made 100K Corvettes in a single year of production. The first digit of the full length six digit consecutive unit number is always the same for the entire model year so each vehicle assembled during that production year has this digit. For '73, it's a 4; for '72 is was a 5; a 7 in '69.

The partial VIN stamps on the engine, tranny, and frame would all match since they were all done by the same worker using the same tool at the same work station on the assembly line. This worker set the tool with the correct sequence of digits, then stamped the engine, tranny, and the frame (in two places). After stamping and while the frame moved to the next workstation, the worker reset the tool with the VIN of the next Corvette on the line.

13S is a prefix code indicating Chevrolet Division of General Motors (1), the model year (3), and the plant code (S for St. Louis)
Old 04-13-2006, 11:58 AM
mdj21
Racer

i could have sworn that the number off of my transmission had all six numbers from my vin, but i don't have it in front of me to verify and my guess is that you are probably right.

thanks for the info. very interesting.

my original motor is long gone, but cralling under the car to work on a speedo issue, i noticed the partial VIN on the transmission and was just wondering if my original motor would have had the exact same number on it. thank you for satisfying my curiosity.

so what two locations on the frame is the VIN stamped? are you counting the plate on the windshield pilar as one of them?

thanks again,

Mike.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:16 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

The VIN derivative is stamped in two locations on the frame. One is centered over the front edge of the #4 body mount bracket, and the other is about 12" forward of the rear kickup, about where your wallet is when you're seated in the car; both are about 1/4" inboard of the outer edge of the frame rail. The one at the rear can be seen with a small mirror, the forward one can't be seen with the body on.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:34 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by mdj21
i could have sworn that the number off of my transmission had all six numbers from my vin, but i don't have it in front of me to verify and my guess is that you are probably right.
It might have all six digits. I'm trying to remember what's on mine, all six or the last five. Likewise, it's been a long time since I crawled under there.

....my original motor is long gone, but cralling under the car to work on a speedo issue, i noticed the partial VIN on the transmission and was just wondering if my original motor would have had the exact same number on it...
Yes. Engine and tranny would have the same stamps.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:43 PM
mdj21
Racer

thanks, guys.

Get notified of new replies

To partial VIN numbers

Quick Reply: partial VIN numbers