Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

Show me you sandblaster.......

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2001, 11:55 AM
topless68
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Show me you sandblaster.......

In fortifying my 'new' garage I'm considering building my own sand blasting cabinet from a kit sold thru TP Tools or another vendor. What kind of cabinets do ya'll have and would you recommend them. :seeya Any other suggestions?
Old 09-30-2001, 11:58 AM
3X2-427
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Show me you sandblaster....... (Jason Conn)

Jason:
Funnel bottom and SIDE entry door is a must if you intend to use it regularly along with a foot operated output as opposed to a gun.
Old 09-30-2001, 12:39 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Show me you sandblaster....... (3X2-427)

Mine is TIP's Skatblast Model 960. They have the features "Bling" mentioned and large enough to get most auto parts inside (forgettabout fenders). They are expensive, but worth it.

You will need a GOOD air compressor to drive one of those; figure a minimum of 80 gallon tank with about 6 horsepower (Sam's Warehouse stocks the Black Max which is nice compressor that is not exorbitant). That means you will have to wire your garage for single phase 220 volts. Don't forget to wire the other side of the garage with a 220 volt outlet for your MIG welding machine. And, oh yeah, while you are at it, go ahead and install yourself a good sloped galvanized pipe air system with proper traps, drains, filter, and regulator. MO' MONEY, MO' MONEY, MO' MONEY!!!! :D :D

[Modified by Chuck Sangerhausen, 9:41 AM 9/30/2001]

[Modified by Chuck Sangerhausen, 9:42 AM 9/30/2001]
Old 09-30-2001, 02:07 PM
topless68
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Show me you sandblaster....... (Chuck Sangerhausen)

The sloped piping with filters is coming. I have a Craftsman vertical 5.5 hp 25 gallon compressor. I have heard that in the heat and humidity of south Louisiana siphon type sand blasters have problems b/c your sand/median gets gooey and clogs easily. I plan to use a good moisture and oil seperator and hopefully this will combat the problem. Thanks for the help guys....anymore?
Old 09-30-2001, 03:36 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Even mine clogs up occasionally out here in the desert with a moisture separator. If there is any moisture in the air, a compressor will condense it, so you will have to be diligent about draining your system. Clogs are not a problem...just hold your gloved hand over the nozzle while depressing the control pedal; the air pressure blows back through the pick-up tube and loosens up the media around the pick-up.

Other suggestions: Wire in plenty of shop lights (garages are dark places). If you use 48 inch fixtures, I would install at least six and maybe eight on switched outlets. Also install plenty of wall outlets. If the wiring hasn't been run yet or the wall board hasn't been installed, I would use 12 gauge wire and install two or three 20 amp outlets spaced out along each wall and one or two in the center ceiling. Also don't forget to plan an outlet for your stereo and run speaker wire for some big speakers; a little AC-DC or Rolling Stones will make the labor easier. :D :D
Old 09-30-2001, 03:37 PM
3X2-427
Pro

Hey Chuckles, how about an ANSWER, litanies aside, we can all quote from books...do much of this work or just spend those lonely nights between services reading about it ?
Bling
Old 09-30-2001, 03:54 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

You could challenge me on a lot of subjects, Bling Man, and you would be right. But, in this particular area you have crapped out.

ALL of the ideas above have been implemented in my own garage by myself using reference books such as the National Electrical Code, TIP's recommendations, a life time of work experience, etc. Since my garage is free standing, I also installed heating and cooling systems to make it more comfortable during the climate extremes.

Just when I thought I had it like I wanted it, I discovered another builder short cut that I will have to correct: everytime my wife turns on the hair dryer in her bathroom, the common ground fault circuit breakers flips out. I am now in the process of making the garage circuit a dedicated 20 amp circuit.

Now, Bling, if you don't like my litanies, you know you don't have to attend my masses. :blueangel:
Old 09-30-2001, 04:49 PM
3X2-427
Pro

"Holier than Thou"
If your Masses read less like sermons, ( why say in one sentence what can be said in twenty when you enjoy the sound of your own voice so much ),, I'd attend more often.
You are THE MAN in regard to sandblast, a title you no doubt richly deserve.
Is this "Bling" man thing in keeping with your "Christian" nature, probably, or are you just running around looking for another foot to shoot.

When you need some help with Corvette WORK come on by, I'll give you a deal...30% more than a complete stranger :reddevil
Old 09-30-2001, 05:28 PM
R1234
Melting Slicks

Hey Jason,
I used one of those table top models sold in one of the catalogs. Cost around $125.00. It did okay for the smaller items. I took the larger items outside such as the fan shroud and stuck a sand blaster gun in to a bag of sand.
Used a Sears 5hp/25 gallon compressor.
Old 09-30-2001, 10:53 PM
six-T-six
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05
Default Re: Show me you sandblaster....... (68rdstr)

I was going to get a siphon feed sandblaster from Sears until I saw this web site [URLhttp://www.san-blast.com/technical/siph_vs_pres.html[/URL] about this companies pressure-fed sandblasters being more effective and quicker (and more expensive). I've never used a pressure fed sand-blaster or had a problem removing paint/rust with a siphon blaster but has anyone used both and have comments or preferences?
Old 09-30-2001, 11:27 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Default Re: Show me you sandblaster....... (six-T-six)

six-T-six, the san-blast pressure blasters are made by the same company that makes the Skatblast cabinets, Truman's Inc.

What is best will depend on the job to be done. Pressure blasters are ideal for big jobs like sandblasting a frame or metal car bodies. I farmed the sand blasting of my frame out. With pressure blasters, you have to work in an open area like your driveway. You will have a lot of dust and media clean-up after you are done.

For small parts, cabinets are better because they automatically recycle the media (less media means lower cost) and have dust collection systems to minimize the dust collecting on everything nearby.
Old 10-01-2001, 12:52 AM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Pressure blast cabinets are the way to go if you have unlimited resources. The last place I worked had a pressure blast cabinet and glassbeading took less than 1/4 the time. Used to slip down to the shop on 3 shift and clean all my car parts. They have a the have a reloader that fills the pot from the cabinet every time you take your foot off the pedal. Could not afford one so bought a TIP 960 and bought a comfortable stool for hours of blasting..... One useful addition if you plan on using it for long periods, is to keep your eye out for a refrigerated air dryer which will eliminate all moisture related clogs. Bought mine from a office building which was putting a new one for their control air system, and only paid $50 for it! :seeya
Old 10-01-2001, 04:11 AM
Mac
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Show me you sandblaster....... (John McGraw)

And if you've never owned a sand blaster, be aware there are some tricks to the trade, like:

1) rotating the nozzle to extend it's life and replace it when it needs replacing
2) always blast so the media doesn't bounce back and dull the glass of your view port
3) blasting should be the last step in your cleanup, not the first step
4) allow your compressor sufficient time to recover
5) moisture is your enemy beyond your wildest dream

I could go on but you have to do it to understand:yesnod:

Mac :rolleyes:
Old 10-01-2001, 08:54 PM
six-T-six
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Chuck,
I'm going to try to be realistic.... and get the siphon feed since I do mostly small parts. But when you want a new toy, you always want that ultimate dream garage tool.....
Old 10-02-2001, 09:53 AM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

I have nothing against the sand blasting cabinets that we all see, but I saw a cabinet made out of a 55 gallon drum when I was at Carlisle. I said to myself, "self, you can do this". I found a heavy duty plastic 55 gallon drum that used to hold soap. I ordered the gloves and the glass from a company and I bought the Sears siphon feed system. For well under $100 I have a cabinet big enough to put everything up to intakes, heads etc. Since I am only an occasional user of a cabinet, this has worked well. Since it is plastic, it can be stored outside safely. The actual construction of my homemade unit took less than an hour.

Gary
Old 10-02-2001, 06:17 PM
Mac
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Show me you sandblaster....... (GaryS)

Hey GaryS, what a great idea!! Could you post a pic of your creation? I have one of those plastic drums (the wife for it for a rain barrel but never used it) and only have occasional need for a sand blaster, so I'm interested in how you did it.
Old 10-03-2001, 10:30 AM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Show me you sandblaster....... (Mac)

I will send it to you off line since I know how to shoot, scan, and e-mail my digital pics but not how to post them on this board. Unless someone wants to send me idiot-proof directions for posting photos.
Gary

Get notified of new replies

To Show me you sandblaster.......

Old 10-03-2001, 10:44 AM
3X2-427
Pro

Default Re: Show me you sandblaster....... (GaryS)

Gary:
I am truly heartened that an airline pilot can't post pictures...now I don't feel so bad that I CAN'T EITHER
jer :flag
Old 10-03-2001, 03:13 PM
Mac
Melting Slicks

Well, I'm glad I'm in such good company. I have no idea how to post pics either. If you could send them via e-mail, that would be great!! Send to either waynemacdonald@mac.com or wmac@sprint.ca.

Maybe one of the moderators or other fonts of wisdom can send out a quick blurb on how to post a picture. I'm thinking it would be appreciated, 'cause for every one of us who can admit we don't know how, there's likely a dozen who won't!! :smash:
Old 10-03-2001, 06:19 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Show me you sandblaster....... (Mac)

Gents, here's a quick and dirty tutorial on how to post pics.

First, your pic MUST be on a web server so you can access it from the outside world. You can't just post a pic from your hard drive on your PC

If you have the pic on a web server, you can insert the pic into your post by typing the following into your message:

[ i m g ] http://www.employees.org/~sburgess/emblem.JPG [ / i m g ]

remove the spaces between the i m g and you get:

Just edit my post and you can see how it's done.

Shannon

Quick Reply: Show me you sandblaster.......