Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

Need help - 68 "only" windshield chrome top header corners

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 05:59 PM
bigredbrad
Burning Brakes

Location: Lincoln NE Riding and Driving Corvettes since 1967.
Received 108 Likes on 60 Posts

Default Need help - 68 "only" windshield chrome top header corners

Needing to replace or rechrome my w/s header corners on my 68 convertible. The potmetal of the originals is showing some bubbling. No one makes a repro because it appears to be one year only. The 69 and up shows a "notch" that my 68 doesnt have, but that sticks far under the top header stainless trim piece.

My question is will 69 up fit my 68 and is there any difference other than the notch that will be hidden anyway? If the part is totally different, let me know, but from all the pics I have seen, they mounting and screw holes look the same. Just dont want to order and return if someone has already tried this!

Thanks resto board, Brad

Old 04-15-2008, 08:40 PM
bigredbrad
Burning Brakes

Nobody knows?

To Wilcox - I see on your website the similar parts listed as late 68 and up. Other parts sellers list as 69 and up. Im sure someone has been down this road before. I can order parts and return them, but I hate to do that to a vendor and I dont like paying shipping two ways just to take a look.

Thanks for any help, Brad
Old 04-16-2008, 10:05 PM
grantstigers
Melting Slicks

Received 156 Likes on 130 Posts

Default 68 "only" windshield chrome top header corners

The 69 windshield chrome will work but has the notches. Why don't you just rechrome yours. Get the plater to fill in the pits and it should work. You'll have to put in new plastic bushings. I have some used ones but It'll take a while for me to find them and I'm not that far yet in restoring my 68. Thanks, grant
Old 04-16-2008, 10:52 PM
bigredbrad
Burning Brakes

Hey grant - I can have them rechromed but 75-85 each and I can buy new repops for 90 for the pair. I know the newer version has the notches, but without holding one in my hand, it looks like the notch would be UNDER the top header trim piece and therefore wouldnt matter. My concern is that if the 69's would fit the 68's I would think the parts sellers would say that they fit ok.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:31 AM
grantstigers
Melting Slicks

Received 156 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by bigredbrad
Hey grant - I can have them rechromed but 75-85 each and I can buy new repops for 90 for the pair. I know the newer version has the notches, but without holding one in my hand, it looks like the notch would be UNDER the top header trim piece and therefore wouldnt matter. My concern is that if the 69's would fit the 68's I would think the parts sellers would say that they fit ok.
The GM replacements will work. The upper trim will cover the notch. I'm just a sticker for original parts. If you are not concerned with originality then it will work. I have an nos replacement but don't know how to post pics. If you can PM me I will send you a picture of it. Thanks, grant
Old 04-18-2008, 08:21 AM
bigredbrad
Burning Brakes

Hi Grant - please send pics to bigbrad@alltel.net. cant wait to see them, Thanks, Brad
Old 04-18-2008, 08:53 AM
68charcoal
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forgive my ignorance, but the 68 that I restored had a totally different piece here. The tab with the hole that holds the plastic grommet was a separate piece that attached to the main chromed piece that you are refering to. I would rechrome no matter the cost unless your car is just a driver, NOM etc. Better quality chrome than you will get from the repro and will likely last much longer. JMHO
Old 11-14-2008, 10:27 PM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi

The once shown are not 68.
68 used a flat top piece ( no notch ) and a separate top pin receptacle with the nylon bushing.
This pieces are more than rare , nearly impossible to find.
Once in a while, a guy on E-bay sells them new, most probably home made reproduction. look original and are OK, but expensive ( 200 USD + ) just for the pin receptacle pieces.
The trim pieces are not available, must be rechromed. If they are pitted, it is difficult also for a rechromer to fill this due pot metal.

If your happy with the style shown, buy them new . They will fit , but are not correct replacement style.

Rgds. Günther
Old 11-15-2008, 08:59 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,314 Posts

I think the ones pictured are late 68. There were 2 or 3 different upper windshield frame corners used on 68's. If I remember right, I think my 72 GM Parts Book might even show a variation for coupe and convertible at some point in the year (the parts book is in my shop, I'll try to look when I get in monday). As described by wesch and 68 charcoal, most 68's have a 2 piece corner, with a seperate top casting and receiver (similar to the receiver used on 63-67's). I have 2 friends with very early VIN 68's (one's #74 and I think other is 178) and these have corner moldings that appear different than some used ones that I have in my shop. Like soooo many other things on 68's, not only were many one year only parts, but many had numerous variations to them throughout the year.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:14 PM
bigredbrad
Burning Brakes

These were removed from my very late 68. I dont know for 100% sure, but believe them to be original to the car. Everything else I have removed so far has been. These were really stuck on tight and the w/s post underneath is in green primer. All the screws holding the top w/s stainless and the corners appeared to also be original.

bigbrad
Old 12-22-2008, 02:47 PM
0Road-Race Vette
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

early 68 has the two piece ones, late 68 has the one piece.

I have had cars with both types.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:17 PM
AWilson
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Road-Race Vette
early 68 has the two piece ones, late 68 has the one piece.

I have had cars with both types.
My very early 68 has the two piece. I also was told that they changed later in 68. The op probably has originals.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:49 PM
Ronaldo
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AWilson
My very early 68 has the two piece. I also was told that they changed later in 68. The op probably has originals.
Is this the two piece kind? (1968 car, number 13900)

Old 01-17-2009, 11:57 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,314 Posts

Yep. If you look, you'll see where the two phillips head screws attach the reciever (with the nylon bushing in it) to the windshield header top corner molding. The late 68 and the 69 up corner moldings have the reciever cast in one piece as part of the molding, like those at the beginning of this post.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:11 PM
AWilson
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronaldo
Is this the two piece kind? (1968 car, number 13900)

Thats them
Old 08-12-2014, 05:40 PM
68/BB
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I am resurrecting this old thread because I find myself in the same dilemma. In my case I have a '68 coupe with a Jan 28 build date. I have two sets of these upper corner molding pieces and the set that I thought came off my car is the set in the photo. However, when I tried to see how they fit I found they didn't want to go in at all. Neither does the other set that looks similar except it doesn't have the notch in the part that goes under the center trim piece. But it does have the ring that is integral (both are one piece cast pot metal). I'm wondering if neither of these were from my car and I will have to find the two piece type. Does anyone know when that change took place? I'm s/n 409725. As a side note I purchased my car largely disassembled (yes, I know that was dumb) so I am having to guess and/or do extensive research part by part. Any help regarding interchangeability and running change dates or s/n's for these moldings would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images  
Old 08-12-2014, 05:46 PM
68/BB
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Following up on my own post now that I look at the picture it doesn't make sense that that piece would have had that J nut installed in the notch if it actually came off my car, since there is no provision to use it. I am still stumped because the other set I have without the notch doesn't seem to fit either. (I originally sent that photo to a plater to get a quote on replating and used the dollar for scale purposes.).

Last edited by 68/BB; 08-12-2014 at 05:50 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help - 68 "only" windshield chrome top header corners

Old 10-17-2014, 07:23 AM
grumman41
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

I bought two of the GM replacement corners for my 71 coupe and was not happy with the fitment.....I sent them back and had my originals plated. I was much happier and the finish is much better than the replacements.

If you plan to have the car judged you will want to make a note with the plating company to not polish the lower part by the pin as this was slightly rougher from the factory.

Kevin
Old 11-24-2014, 12:31 AM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by 68/BB
I am resurrecting this old thread because I find myself in the same dilemma. In my case I have a '68 coupe with a Jan 28 build date. I have two sets of these upper corner molding pieces and the set that I thought came off my car is the set in the photo. However, when I tried to see how they fit I found they didn't want to go in at all. Neither does the other set that looks similar except it doesn't have the notch in the part that goes under the center trim piece. But it does have the ring that is integral (both are one piece cast pot metal). I'm wondering if neither of these were from my car and I will have to find the two piece type. Does anyone know when that change took place? I'm s/n 409725. As a side note I purchased my car largely disassembled (yes, I know that was dumb) so I am having to guess and/or do extensive research part by part. Any help regarding interchangeability and running change dates or s/n's for these moldings would be greatly appreciated.
Those are not 68's. 68's are a two piece, if I still had a set I get a picture of them for you. The pin hole where the top goes down attaches to the top corner with two screws and there is no notch with the center stainless goes on it. The 68 stainless also has no top holes in it, I do have one of those for a conv if you need that.
thanks
Old 10-01-2015, 12:00 AM
Jerrysbb
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say yours is late 68 but not sure. they did make changes thru 68 some have different than others. I have 2 piece early 68. I'm in same boat as you cant find those or windshield moldings either. I decided to re-chrome but don't know where to go to do this. good luck

Quick Reply: Need help - 68 "only" windshield chrome top header corners