Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

Narrowed down the origin of my 327 but still need help identifying

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 08:59 AM
ser42
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Narrowed down the origin of my 327 but still need help identifying

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, so hope I'm in the right place. I recently purchased an Arntz/Butler Cobra replica, and as some of you may know these traditionally had Chevy engines. I was told the engine came from a 1967 Corvette, but that turns out not to be the case.

I had thought that my state (MA) would accept the VIN # that has been in use in several states since at least 1985, but no such luck. They want me to get a MA-issued VIN, which means documenting the engine's origin. Unfortunately since the car is over 30 years old much of the original paperwork is gone.

Here's what I've deciphered thus far:

FII30S - Flint motor, assembled on 11/30, 327 mated to a Powerglide in a full-size car (not Corvette)

3782870 - 327, 1962-1965

K292 - Cast on 11/29/1962

I cannot find a partial VIN stamp, and from what I've read this engine is likely not to have had one. I think MA is going to want a partial VIN or I'm going to have to go through the hassle of buying a donor car for the VIN and junking it. That process makes no sense to me, as theoretically the engine could still be stolen, but whatever. Bureaucrats.

I've also been told that once we've finally ID'd the engine, we have to figure out what the final drive gear ratios are and if they conform to the “previous certified configuration” with the 4 speed man trans that's in the Cobra.

Does anyone know if there's any way to figure out the VIN # of the car this engine originally went into, with only the codes above? I'm guessing it was a full size automatic car assembled in December 1962, so perhaps a 1963 model year.

I know this isn't exactly Corvette-related, but I figured you all may know where I can go to figure it all out!

Thanks all,
Cheers!
Old 06-09-2015, 07:53 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by ser42
...Does anyone know if there's any way to figure out the VIN # of the car this engine originally went into, with only the codes above?...
No.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:36 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by ser42

I cannot find a partial VIN stamp, and from what I've read this engine is likely not to have had one. I think MA is going to want a partial VIN or I'm going to have to go through the hassle of buying a donor car for the VIN and junking it. That process makes no sense to me, as theoretically the engine could still be stolen, but whatever. Bureaucrats.

I've also been told that once we've finally ID'd the engine, we have to figure out what the final drive gear ratios are and if they conform to the “previous certified configuration” with the 4 speed man trans that's in the Cobra.

Does anyone know if there's any way to figure out the VIN # of the car this engine originally went into, with only the codes above? I'm guessing it was a full size automatic car assembled in December 1962, so perhaps a 1963 model year.

I know this isn't exactly Corvette-related, but I figured you all may know where I can go to figure it all out!

Thanks all,
Cheers!
In those years, only Corvettes and optional high-performance engines in passenger cars got the VIN derivative stamped on the engine pad; standard and low-performance optional engines in passenger cars got no VIN derivative stamping.

Sounds like some clerk at your DMV has made it his life's work to make you miserable by overstepping his authority and requiring things that are both beyond legal requirements and are impossible to obtain. I'd go looking for a higher-level supervisor or manager with some common sense.

Get notified of new replies

To Narrowed down the origin of my 327 but still need help identifying

Quick Reply: Narrowed down the origin of my 327 but still need help identifying