Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

70 Big Block driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 12:25 AM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Default 70 Big Block driveshaft

Asking a question since I dont see anything listed about it in the NCRS judging guide.
On a 70 BB 4spd car. What is the diameter of the main driveshaft? And should it have U bolts or Caps on the u-joints.
I know the half shafts should have caps but nothing is specifically noted for the driveshaft.
Reason I ask is that my 71 BB 4spd shaft is larger in diam than a 70 BB 4spd cars shaft that I have in the shop rt now.
Also my 71 's shaft has caps at the trans yoke(uncertain about rear ujoint) While the 70 car has U bolts at both ends.
I can see where the 70's shaft has rubbed something in the tunnel so I'm pretty sure you cant put a larger diameter shaft in there. Does anyone know for sure?
May just have to join NCRS to post these questions over there
Old 08-01-2015, 12:41 PM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 432 Likes on 256 Posts

1968-1970 four speed Corvettes had a driveshaft smaller in diameter than 1971-1972 manual transmission cars... Different universal joints too.

Going from memory, the earlier driveshaft is 2" OD and the later one 2 1/4" OD, but I'd have to measure to be certain.

Automatic transmission driveshafts differed as well (certainly in length), but again, I'd have to check my notes for the details.

If you need specifics, let me know and I'll see what I can dig up.

Regards,

Stan Falenski
Old 08-11-2015, 09:56 AM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Thanks for the reply Stan.
No need to dig up your notes.
Looking to see how Kens BB Convert scores now after alot of details addressed

Get notified of new replies

To 70 Big Block driveshaft